30Duck

Is QB the Biggest Question for Oregon in 2022?

30, my answer and more importantly, Mike Bellotti's answer to your question in the topic header is 'YES!' QB at every level of football is the key position. SEE: Rams with Stafford and the way Cincy has rebounded with Joe Burrow. 

You can have the best scheme in the world but you have to have a capable trigger man. A guy like Dennis Dixon. Dixon had the Ducks competing for a title and he was competing for a Heisman and then, sadly, Dennis went down. Without the Heisman winner at QB last season I think Bama does not win the SEC title and loses at least 3 regular season games.

I don't like it but with the D that we see being played, or not played, in Pac-12, I'm afraid that Caleb Williams, Dye and the other guys Riley has brought in could have an immediate impact in 2022. SC with an OK (no pun intended) OL is going to put up lots of points on many the Pac-12 Ds. This is going to be the Oklahoma O in the days of the high scoring, shoot-out, B12 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/9/2022 at 11:45 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I don't like it but with the D that we see being played, or not played, in Pac-12, I'm afraid that Caleb Williams, Dye and the other guys Riley has brought in could have an immediate impact in 2022

No doubt about it, Williams has an excellent chance of being Riley's 3rd Heisman winning QB, and there are a lot of QB's in the Pac-12 that will be very good, including at Oregon. So, I don't think the QB question at Oregon is the biggest for '22. 

Nix is a huge Get for the Ducks, so while the QB is the most important, impactful player, I have more questions about the RB's. I do feel good about Cardwell, Jones, Dollars and McGee though, and receivers, being a vital part of the offense is something to definitely look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 1

No question that QB is the great unknown for the 2022 season.  That said, the talent level in the room is possibly the best the Ducks have had since 2008.

The other questions are at running back and defensive back.

Other position groups seem talented and experienced at the college level.

Player development and schemes will make or break the Ducks in 2022.

Edited by Duck1984

The biggest question may be the coaching of the position groups. The statement about how Joe Burrow changed a team is legitimate. He had to transfer to a program where he could start and would use his skills. The identification of talent and the development of the qb group is critical.

I think we may have had a couple extremely talented qb's on our bench. One of them may have transferred out already. Bo Nix is just, potentially, a short term fix. We need a coach who can identify talent, develop talent and use it productively. This goes across the board with our offensive coaching group.

With the last offensive coaching group we recruited well, but then that was the end of it. We had mediocre qb play, never saw any development, at least on the field. It is time to see excellent coaching of the position groups. That is the biggest question I want to see layed to rest, can we recruit and develop offensive weapons again?

• Thumbs Up 2

There are so many questions to be answered about the 2022 Ducks football (and so little time).

Yes, QB is the most important question and hole to fill. Without a national Top-5 QB, a team cannot summit the mountain.

The Ducks may already have that superstar stud in the house, or they may still have to wait another 2-3 years to field a QB to take them to the playoff and hopefully win it.

Having that special ace and field general does not guarantee making the CFP, but not having such a playmaker most assuredly means the team will watch TV and not play in the game.

The best of the good life's behind us now, and the good days are really over for good.  I is unregulated CHAOS as the inmates run the asylum. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, 30Duck said:

No doubt about it, Williams has an excellent chance of being Riley's 3rd Heisman winning QB, and there are a lot of QB's in the Pac-12 that will be very good, including at Oregon. So, I don't think the QB question at Oregon is the biggest for '22. 

Nix is a huge Get for the Ducks, so while the QB is the most important, impactful player, I have more questions about the RB's. I do feel good about Cardwell, Jones, Dollars and McGee though, and receivers, being a vital part of the offense is something to definitely look forward to.

I am far more optimistic about the offensive backfield than you are. The return of the spread, use of TE's, and tempo should make the RB's more productive. We need depth, but unlike you I'll bet on the horses we have.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:36 PM, Notalot said:
On 2/9/2022 at 2:51 PM, 30Duck said:

and receivers, being a vital part of the offense is something to definitely look forward to.

I am far more optimistic

I'm optimistic about the RB's, especially in the offense Dillingham seems to have planned. I am just more convinced now that Nix, a seasoned SEC QB, is just what the offense needs at QB. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe we are going to surprise a lot people. We have the seasoned talent. We have the coaches and mostly We Are Oregon. Bring it on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In my view, it's gotta be the quarterback, who is triggerman for the offense. But, as others have said above, selecting the right guy for quarterback is only part of the answer. The way the coaching staff interacts with the qb is equally important. Find the guy who best runs the offense during practices, coach him up as best you can during the week and then release your butt cheeks while standing on the sidelines, offering him encouragement when things don't go well on the field. We've seen what tight-a$$ coaching yields on the field; don't want to go back to that.  And, I'm pretty darned confident this coaching staff will NOT be like that.

Edited by WiseKwacker
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spoke to a friend - diehard auburn fan/grad who follows everything about them.   He felt like Bo Nix would be a good addition for the Ducks.  Gritty competitor that can make big plays.  Did say he was polarizing as a team leader and mistakes could be frustrating at times from a QB with that much experience.  Has to be an upgrade from AB.  Utah game planned to stop the run and make him beat us and he couldn’t do it even with a depleted and at times suspect secondary (see Rose Bowl highlights).  Some of it on the receivers but he missed way too many throws.  Utah fans NOT happy to see Bo Nix there.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2