30Duck

Bo Nix will have Better Stats in 2022 than Anthony Brown had in 2021

Aren't we setting the bar rather low?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The stats over their time playing QB between Brown and Nix are not that dissimilar. But Nix played against far better competition and unlike Brown, beat more than 1 top 25 team he started against including (sigh) Oregon.

The only Oregon QB in the QB room that has faced a crowd and the talent Oregon will see in its opener 'at' Georgia is Bo Nix. If he is the starter, this will be Nix 4th start vs the Dawgs.

As I have mentioned before, if they got a fair shake, Thompson and Butters could not beat out journeyman Brown.

Considering that NIx had his best season when Dillingham was the Auburn OC, I would be very surprised if he is not the starting QB come 9/3 in Atlanta.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I feel like a considerable number of fans really pinned a lot of hope on Thompson being the next great thing at Oregon, and there is still time for that to happen; hopefully it does.

According to 247, he's the 15th highest-rated recruit in UO history, and the highest-rated quarterback. A high four star ranked 40th best player of any position that year.

On the other hand, also according to 247, Nix (had he come to Oregon in 2019) would be the 11th highest recruit in UO history and the highest-rated quarterback, and was ranked a five star and the 33rd best player in the nation that year. And in addition, won the freshman offensive player of the year for the SEC.

I say that this is a 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth' type of situation. It's not a bad thing to have a still very young true blue chip competing with a more experienced true blue chip. And then add on the experience against top competition as Jon Joseph mentions, I think this is another sign of becoming a true top tier program. Sometimes you have five stars sitting behind five stars, and pushing each other.

• Thumbs Up 3

Who ever is the Starting QB, earn your spot.  Build chemistry by being the best you can be, competition builds better players.  You never know when your number will be called.

You do not get better by playing down to your opponents, Oregon proved this through out the 2021/22 season.  Scraping by, hides your teams flaws.  Utah, exposed that to everyone, TWICE!  If Mario believed Iron sharpens Iron, he failed to prove that, IMHO.

All Bo, or any Duck quarter back has to do is connect on a few passes to wide open receivers and the numbers will improve.  Brown was a difficult QB to stay rallied around. Not just for fans but for the players. The Ducks receivers worked hard all season to get open. Brown was not consistent enough to make the throws. As a result, 3rd down conversions and touchdowns were missed. As the season wore down teams realized Brown could not beat them with his arm. Utah loaded the box, stuffed the run and won the PAC title.

Let's hope Bo, Ty or Jay can raise the bar 

On 2/17/2022 at 8:08 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

All Bo, or any Duck quarter back has to do is connect on a few passes to wide open receivers and the numbers will improve. 

Plus pitch the ball to the RB down near the goal line instead of hero ball.