FishDuck Article

Lack of Clutch Player Dooms Ducks

Will Richardson is a very good college basketball player. It has been a joy to watch him grow and develop over the past few years and carve out his place as one of the better Oregon basketball players during the Dana Altman era. He is unselfish, a great teammate, a hard worker, and has represented the Oregon program with class ...

Source

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Bold Prediction: Now that I've written this watch Richardson hit two game winners this weekend 😂

Absolutely spot on in every point you make, Darren!  Well said!  Yes……Altman put responsibility on Richardson that he just couldn’t fulfill……at least yet.   And, he’s running out of time to do so.  
pritchard went through a similar thing during his Junior year.  He turned it around, though.  The difference seems to be: Pritchard believed, and knew, he could do it.  It doesn’t appear Richardson has the same mindset.  As you say, he’s more of a “cog”, instead of the “main gear”.  I feel for him, ‘cause it must be frustrating for him.

and, I’d like nothing better than for Will to make us BOTH look dead wrong this weekend!

Edited by Duckdude

On 2/22/2022 at 7:44 AM, Duckdude said:

Absolutely spot on in every point you make, Darren!  Well said!  Yes……Altman put responsibility on Richardson that he just couldn’t fulfill……at least yet.   And, he’s running out of time to do so.  
pritchard went through a similar thing during his Junior year.  He turned it around, though.  The difference seems to be: Pritchard believed, and knew, he could do it.  It doesn’t appear Richardson has the same mindset.  As you say, he’s more of a “cog”, instead of the “main gear”.  I feel for him, ‘cause it must be frustrating for him.

and, I’d like nothing better than for Will to make us BOTH look dead wrong this weekend!

Totally true. There's nothing wrong with Richardson, he's just not a goto guy. It's like putting an under-sized forward at center, it's just not their natural game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As my basketball coaching experience was limited to elementary school kids and adult recreational leagues, I am not comfortable criticizing Altman’s offensive play calling.

That said, I would not expect Richardson to get off a critical game ending shot unless he had proved himself during his four years.  

Did I miss all his clutch shots?

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2022 at 7:43 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Bold Prediction: Now that I've written this watch Richardson hit two game winners this weekend 😂

Great point and perspective on when it can happen. It was interesting to read about one of the greatest shooters of all time hitting his first game winning shot this year. I don't think anyone would say Steph Curry wasn't clutch, but he made his first game winning 3 in January of this year. There is time to make that clutch shot, and I agree Richardson is everything right about college basketball so he deserves to make the next one!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2022 at 7:43 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Naw.  Richardson is a turnover machine looking for a triple team to dribble (not 'drive' ala Peyton) into.  He disappears for halves (or games) at a time.  I have yet to see him put out the energy of, say, Young.  He seems to just loiter much of the time while on defense.  I agree that he is definitely not the "guy".  He is capable of scoring in bunches, but he cannot be relied upon in that regard.  And he drove to the basket much better, I thought, the previous two years.

He is a head scratcher, that's for sure.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thumbs Up 1

Definitely a problem. The Final Four team had Dillon Brooks, Dylan Ennis, Tyler Dorsey, all players that not only wanted to take the shot but would make the shot. Pritchard was a freshman on that team and by the time he was a senior, took the shot, then next year, Duarte or Omoruyi took it.

It was definitely a problem against Arizona to pass the ball directly to Richardson, the presumptive go to guy. 7 seconds was plenty of time to have forced Arizona to do more on defense than put their biggest player on Richardson and have him dribble the seconds away. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/22/2022 at 8:05 AM, Darren Perkins said:

There's nothing wrong with Richardson, he's just not a goto guy.

For me, the telling difference between Payton and Will is found not in the three ball, but  in the way they drive to the basket.  Payton lowered the shoulder, used his speed, and said here I come, try and stop me. Will - more often than not - will probe with hesitation, trying to finesse an opening that may or may not appear.

It’s that try and stop me attitude that a go to guy just has to have.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nailed it, Darren.

• Thanks 2

On 2/22/2022 at 7:44 AM, Duckdude said:

True. And, not sure Richardson has the "quicks" to really get his own shot on a regular basis. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/22/2022 at 8:07 AM, Duck1984 said:

As my basketball coaching experience was limited to elementary school kids and adult recreational leagues, I am not comfortable criticizing Altman’s offensive play calling.

That said, I would not expect Richardson to get off a critical game ending shot unless he had proved himself during his four years.  

Did I miss all his clutch shots?

Yeah, being arm chair qb's that we are, they probably should have ran a play with some hard screening to get somebody open. 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:45 AM, Mudslide said:

Naw.  Richardson is a turnover machine looking for a triple team to dribble (not 'drive' ala Peyton) into.  He disappears for halves (or games) at a time.  I have yet to see him put out the energy of, say, Young.  He seems to just loiter much of the time while on defense.  I agree that he is definitely not the "guy".  He is capable of scoring in bunches, but he cannot be relied upon in that regard.  And he drove to the basket much better, I thought, the previous two years.

He is a head scratcher, that's for sure.

I'm definitely looking forward to next year's team, this is kinda of a 'tweener year.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 11:45 AM, Darren Perkins said:

I'm definitely looking forward to next year's team, this is kinda of a 'tweener year

I, for one, am completely over saying “wait ‘til next year”.  I’d like to break that “Duck Syndrome” WIDE open!…….once and for all!  I gotta feeling Phil Knight feels the same way.  Anybody else?

’Sco Ducks!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say this problem extends beyond men's basketball this year but also the  women's basketball team as well.

Whatever it is this year Oregon just doesn't seem to have the person who can carry the team to the finish. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, Darren Perkins said:

True. And, not sure Richardson has the "quicks" to really get his own shot on a regular basis. 

Richardson is a solid player. But he is not a creator with the ball, he’s not quick, not a great ball handler, and he has a slow release on his jumper. His best move is taking it inside in hopes of laying it in or drawing a foul.

Having said all that, I like him as a player and appreciate the four years he has given  to this program.

But I also think it was a mistake to put the ball in his hands with 7 seconds to go. Something needs to happen very quickly in that situation and that’s not Richardson’s game.

Bad call on Altman’s part.

• Like 1