Charles Fischer

OregonLive Loses Canzano, and Now Andrew Nemec?

I guess that subscription thing did not work out?  Canzano's website has not worked the last couple of days, but he sends me articles via his initial free subscription.  I will post them until he has a pay-wall, and I have to admit that he is a prolific writer who often has some entertaining things to say.  Nemec?  Not so much to me...

Is FishDuck and the OBD forum the best value ever?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Newspapers and print media in general are a dying breed, can't blame journalists for exploring other options.  It's got to be tough for traditional journalists, anyone with an internet connection can gain a following.

I never cared much for Canzano, but I have to admit he's mellowed with age and he is well-connected.  He was spot on about Larry Scott and probably played a role in his ouster.

Nemec and recruiting in general don't interest me too much except near signing day(s).  So what if 2024 4* so and so puts Oregon in his top 10.  Yawn.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/17/2022 at 3:34 PM, noDucknewby said:

So what if 2024 4* so and so puts Oregon in his top 10.  Yawn.

Agreed, and that is why I like to follow some recruiting and pass it along here, but not go too crazy about it.

"Nico" put out his top-5 this week, and since Oregon is in it...we're supposed to get excited?  No, everyone knows he will "follow the 8-million" to Knoxville.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Journalism of all kinds, but mostly local, still has not found a revenue model to replace advertising.

Yep, and volunteer sites are free, but need help…?

Mr. FishDuck

I'll be honest OregonLive lost a lot of it's interest for me after Andrew Grief and Tyson Alger left. Those two I found wrote some good articles but maybe I'm just nostalgic from the earlier days of my die hard Duck fandom. 

I would read the Nemic articles when they were free and they were ... Fine... But none of the coverage at OregonLive/Oregonian is worth paying for with so many other options. 

Recruiting I follow close enough to know what is going on and trends but I usuay forget names until they are actually at Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't know much about Nemec, but "loses" is too strong a word when talking about Clownzano.  The Oregonian loses Canzano like a patient loses cancer when he is in remission.

• Like 1

My mind went a different direction on these changes.  Given the economics of the media business, maybe both of the gentlemen’s positions were eliminated.  Would you want to buy stock in a newspaper company?  Even Warren Buffet failed at that.

Edited by NickDanger Third Eye

On 3/19/2022 at 4:33 AM, Graziani93 said:

Don't know much about Nemec, but "loses" is too strong a word when talking about Clownzano.  The Oregonian loses Canzano like a patient loses cancer when he is in remission.

I know a lot of people really hate Canzano... In truth I agreed and disagreed with his pieces but I always found I had something to talk or think about afterwards. 

The sports world needs people like that... Off seasons can last a very long time and that's the entertainment factor. 

FishDuck is a wonderful place where this is actual discussion of ideas and a dialogue instead of people just getting angry over a title. 

I'm not saying you have to like his work... But he is one of those people that you do enjoy not agreeing with and that can be entertainment in itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed, and that is why I like to follow some recruiting and pass it along here, but not go too crazy about it.

"Nico" put out his top-5 this week, and since Oregon is in it...we're supposed to get excited?  No, everyone knows he will "follow the 8-million" to Knoxville.

Looks like Snoop Dog with a football...lol Hope he's just as talented for his sake.

Nothing worse than being a dud after garnishing so much hype.