Charles Fischer

Is Oregon No. 1? Ranking the Pac-12 Uniforms

This is highly subjective, as I think the Beavers really waste what could be done to look cool with their colors.  Colorado's to me, can be very cool and I like the combinations for the Utes.  The picture in the article is dated for Cal, as it shows a shiny Navy color, when now--they use the "flat-blue" color as the Cougs do, thus I grade their uniforms down.

USATSI_16686616.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

When it comes to ranking the best and worst football uniforms in the Pac-12 conference, is it really a competition? I mean, everyone is pretty much playing for second place, no? It’s an inter…

But then....I am a fuddy-duddy who wants what we wore in the early 1980s!

Reggie Ogburn FP_Video.jpg

Hmmm.  Right about the time you graduated...showing your age, Charles!

Mr. FishDuck

That USA today piece reads like it was written by a 12-year-old. He doesn't appear to have any knowledge of how various teams' uniforms have evolved over time, and even uses a Beavers uniform photo from one of their previous looks. He basically just gives a gut response to the color combinations, gives teams unnecessary kudos for their more gimmicky one-off combos, and has nothing nuanced to say about the Ducks, his admitted own team. I'm not saying he's wrong to like Oregon uniforms, but he has nothing new or insightful to say.

All that said, it will be interesting to see what kind of inclinations Lanning has with regard to uniforms. When Cristobal took over, the uniforms at least initially got simpler in style, and there were fewer one-offs, both choices I loved. But then last year the uniforms started to get gimmicky again. Being young, I suspect Lanning will allow Oregon to be its boldest, most chameleon-like self.

Thanks Brian, as I was being kind to that writer and rough on myself.  One thing about last year I enjoyed and we may disagree on....is the helmets.  I loved them!

1 Green.jpg

2 White 2021.jpg

3 Yellow 2021.jpg

29 Green.jpg

37 White 2021.jpg

39 Black.jpg

46 Black 2021.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Doesn't matter the ranking, we are number 1, and always will be. With Nike and a little Tinkering no one can come close. The uniforms, shoes along with fabrics and gear will always be way ahead of any competition.

1bzgec.jpg

I thing uni I do like, both SC and UCLA wearing home colors when they play the rivalry game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Thanks Brian, as I was being kind to that writer and rough on myself.  One thing about last year I enjoyed and we may disagree on....is the helmets.  I loved them!

1 Green.jpg

2 White 2021.jpg

3 Yellow 2021.jpg

29 Green.jpg

37 White 2021.jpg

39 Black.jpg

46 Black 2021.jpg

The winged helmets are great! I say that with one asterisk: I've always felt putting the O on the back takes away from it. I wish they'd either fully embrace the wings or go back to the O as the primary decal, but not try to do both. Does Michigan need an M on the top of its winged helmets to remind you who they are? And while I completely understand that it's all inspired by the Harley, the O in that spot just looks silly to me. Even so, the wings themselves are terrific, especially when they go all the way to the facemask without the gradient.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, Brian Libby said:

I wish they'd either fully embrace the wings or go back to the O as the primary decal, but not try to do both.

Great point, as it is a muddling to two time periods.  Just the wings would be fine to me...

And frankly.....I would not mind seeing these below again and just the "O" without the wings.

7 Yellow 2015.jpg

8 Green 2014 Playoff.jpg

25 Black 2015.jpg

63 Yellow 2017.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/28/2022 at 12:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Great point, as it is a muddling to two time periods.  Just the wings would be fine to me...

And frankly.....I would not mind seeing these below again and just the "O" without the wings.

7 Yellow 2015.jpg

8 Green 2014 Playoff.jpg

25 Black 2015.jpg

63 Yellow 2017.jpg

Maybe go with the O for road games 

And Wings for home games? 

Some kind of continuity would be sweet 

(sent from my rocking chair) 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/28/2022 at 12:21 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I thing uni I do like, both SC and UCLA wearing home colors when they play the rivalry game.

I know Oregon and Oregon State do it occasionally but no where near often enough. It is a riot of color when they do actually play the rivalry game both wearing home uniforms. 

I know sometimes they don't want to do it because of colorblind individuals. I know Red and Green are awful for the colorblind. I'm not sure on Green and Orange though... I suspect it's not great though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

No.1 for me is this one:

image.jpeg.61be856677f1e7122a1b7ce4d251fa42.jpeg

and No.2 is this one

image.jpeg.b3049073edcf1222648bad825208c683.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think it's true that each of us tends to love the uniforms from the times in our lives when we first fell in love with the team. For me, that means the Rich Brooks era, but a very specific one: when there were still stripes on both the helmets and the pants, and yellow helmets matching yellow pants. But I do think the 2019 uniforms, finally free of all that ridiculous fake-wing or fake-diamond-plating patterning on the shoulders, looked terrific. I can appreciate fans in this thread with more of a rah-rah point of view. "It's my team, so they're number one!" I have felt the same way for much of my life. But what can I say? I don't like fake diamond plating or brown-green jerseys or gray-green jerseys.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:11 PM, Haywarduck said:

Doesn't matter the ranking, we are number 1, and always will be. With Nike and a little Tinkering no one can come close. The uniforms, shoes along with fabrics and gear will always be way ahead of any competition.

1bzgec.jpg

On 3/28/2022 at 7:16 PM, 30Duck said:

No.1 for me is this one:

image.jpeg.61be856677f1e7122a1b7ce4d251fa42.jpeg

and No.2 is this one

image.jpeg.b3049073edcf1222648bad825208c683.jpeg

Edited by Brian Libby

I tend to prefer the white/green, grey/green or black/green combinations. I get some of the old heads (complimentary of course) prefer the old school green/yellow only, but since this is just a personal preference post and there are no wrong answers, I don't at all mind chipping in my opinion 🙂

Cheers!

On 3/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, Brian Libby said:

But what can I say? I don't like fake diamond plating or brown-green jerseys or gray-green jerseys.

No sweat.  We can all have different opinions here, share them and remain civil.  So different opinions are welcomed and needed--thanks for your feedback!

Mr. FishDuck

Give me old school. Cuz I’m old I guess.