30Duck

Would You Want Him in Your Foxhole?

MaiTaiDuck inspired me with this in another topic, I definitely see it as an "unintended consequence" of the NIL payments that some players are getting. We did start to see it before with players deciding to forego the team's Bowl Game, stating clearly, they were doing so in their own self interest. 

Now, I can't write here that I am bothered by a player's self interest guiding his actions when it's my SELF Interest that is bothered with his decision not to play.

But, it's going to be player vs player in the huddle now. Millions of dollars to the QB? The linemen are only getting $50,000. Is the LT going to bust his butt to protect the millionaire?

It used to be the players all played for the name on the front of the jersey, not the on the back. Well, we've seen that eroding for a long time, and it's even worse now. 

I think I read that Travis dye took the lineman out to dinner to break his news that he was leaving.

I hope that it is true and that he used his SC Mastercard to pay.

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s not too different than the pros.

Rich QB.  Lower pay on the o lines.

Comes down to culture on the team.

Nobody benefits by not playing hard and unlike the NFL you will get benched even if making big NIL money for poor effort. 

College is turning into the minor leagues. 

while they might be less mature and may do exactly as you say I suspect they will get coached up on exactly these types of things and it won’t matter on game day. Really comes down to the group values aka culture. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Really comes down to the group values aka culture. 

And this is where a coach like Lanning and his staff are a huge plus for Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It comes down to $. Sad but true. Dye, Caleb Williams and the OK WR Williams, et al, being paid to transfer to SC and play? I get it.

Coaches leave for more money, why not players? This is far different from what I watched back in the day.  But at 75 years of age, what isn't different?

What concerns me? With the B1G and the SEC becoming the Power 2, what will it take to keep a successful Coach Lanning in Eugene?

We've seen Leach and Tucker depart, along with Slick and Mari(o.) I don't expect the exodus of top coaches from the Pac-12 departing to stop. I don't see it being different with the players.

Most NFL guys who ball out depart after the rookie contract expires. CFB today is in a similar position.

Be true to your school? That was yesterday and yesterday's gone.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

I skied today

On 3/30/2022 at 8:39 PM, JDuck said:

I skied today

I golfed today. My game fell down but had I been skiing it would have been my bod.

• Haha 2

I'm 6'7" and 325 lbs, a road grader in Nike cleats. Yes, that 6'3" 225 lbs guy is able to spiral a football thru a moving tractor tire at 25 yards. He'll get a better NIL deal in college and if we're both good enough to get to the next level, he will always get paid more than me. I've got to be ok with that, it's the nature of the game. It's my job to keep him upright. Not too many folks will ever know how important I am to his health and the overall well-being of the team, but he will. And I will. Football is a team sport and without me, he is running for his life.

If I'm smart, I'll have a longer term plan that will outlive the cartilage in my knees. But until then I'm ok with being the big ugly up front that gets it done.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Rich QB.  Lower pay on the o lines.

Comes down to culture on the team.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2022 at 4:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

What concerns me? With the B1G and the SEC becoming the Power 2

I honestly think it has already turned the corner.  The SEC and BIG have money to spend, so the talent gap with the other conferences will continue to grow as NIL deals progress.  As someone else pointed out on here a while ago, (and I agree) in 5 years or so we will see a top division break out consisting of 30 or so teams that separate from the rest of the pack. Most of the them will be BIG and SEC teams.  USC is probably the only school in the Pac-12 that is locked in being a part of that group.     

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2022 at 8:47 AM, GeotechDuck said:

I honestly think it has already turned the corner.  The SEC and BIG have money to spend, so the talent gap with the other conferences will continue to grow as NIL deals progress.  As someone else pointed out on here a while ago, (and I agree) in 5 years or so we will see a top division break out consisting of 30 or so teams that separate from the rest of the pack. Most of the them will be BIG and SEC teams.  USC is probably the only school in the Pac-12 that is locked in being a part of that group.     

How about the Power 2 plus 2?  Add Oregon/Nike and U$C

On 3/31/2022 at 11:55 AM, JDuck said:

How about the Power 2 plus 2?  Add Oregon/Nike and U$C

With the SEC going to 16 teams will the B1G stand pat? And will the ACC with a crummy media deal through 2036 hold together?

I could definitely see the SEC adding Clemson, FSU, Miami and perhaps, NC ST.

AAU member target schools for the B1G in the east are Pitt, UVA, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech and Kansas is also an AAU member and I am sure would love to swap the B12 for the B1G. 

If the B1G decided to look west, then AAU member schools SC, Oregon, UW, Utah, CU and Stanford, for the academic prowess, could be in play? I don't see the B1G wanting anything to do with CAL, UCLA and the CA state legislature. I don't see the B1G having any interest in non-AAU members OR ST, WA ST + ASU and AZ and Tucson does not bring much to the table.

I do see additional conference changes coming. Changes that will likely result in fewer teams playing big time ball. The B1G and SEC will likely add schools and perhaps, we will see a single Super Conference?

SC and Oregon both 'fit' the B1G, but the nearest B1G school would be Nebraska.