Charles Fischer

Does Oregon Match the Expectations of New Coaches?

I was reading the local morning paper, (which is always a few days behind all other reporting) and was impressed with all the lauding of Oregon that DC Tosh Lupoi was doing.  When asked why he left the NFL to come back to college coaching?

"For myself and my family to come back to college football, a place where I could compete consistently to win a national title....a place where we could consistently coach first-round draft picks and a place where we could go into any living room and be able to express the fact that your life is going to be a great life no matter how football works out.

Because of the alumni base and the connections here, and the unbelievable resources of the university.  Those three things and the icing on the cake was Coach Lanning, and being part of his expertise."

My Friends, does the praise for the university and team we love get any better than that?  You hear this kind of thing from newly hired coaches at Oregon, but does the vision, the promise of what Oregon can be to a coach....does it come through to their satisfaction?

Or is this group of coaches going to finally MAKE it happen?  Something I was pondering...

Oregon Ducks DC Tosh Lupoi talks championships, the Pac-12 and the PNW

These coaches really believe they can win a 'Natty at Oregon....and fans are checking out of Duck football because of the NIL/Portal? 

We need to believe as much as our new coaches do!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

AMEN! The hyperbole is off the charts and it is exciting. But will it translate to the field of play?

On 4/1/2022 at 10:03 AM, Jon Joseph said:

AMEN! The hyperbole is off the charts and it is exciting. But will it translate to the field of play?

And THAT is what really matters to the overwhelming majority of fans.

With Lanning we’re in the honeymoon period right now. It all looks and sounds good, as it should at this point.

But he is learning on the job…..no track record at all as a head coach.

I like everything I’ve seen and heard from him so far. He’s very impressive.

We’ll know a lot more when the season starts.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would add these coaches are creating expectations, not just matching them. I will also add Oregon is a coach maker, not a coach breaker. These coaches are seizing the opportunity and running with it. I expect great things with tempered enthusiasm.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/1/2022 at 9:49 AM, Charles Fischer said:

and fans are checking out of Duck football because of the NIL/Portal? 

NIL is a mess and is very secretive. 

We haven't seen Oregon land any big time recruits yet because of NIL (or at least recruits that we know of because of NIL) but we know darn well how many we have lost because of it so far.... and not just recruits but we also have a feeling that we have lost star players on our own roster because of it, Travis Dye. 

I don't think a lot of these coaches would have considered an Oregon job if they didn't believe Oregon had an NIL plan. NIL is done pretty much entirely from the shadows these days and when we do get a glimpse of what is going on and the money being thrown around we feel really disheartened. I mean Nico getting an 8 million dollar deal! That is pretty crazy for a player who is completely unproven at the college level. 

As fans we want to see Oregon get into bidding wars and win them... but we aren't seeing it that way. 

I do think Oregon is working on building a longer term approach to NIL... but that means that we will probably lose out in the short run. 

Also... this recruiting season is a whole lot slower than previous years. Recruits aren't in the same rush to verbally commit because they would rather let a bidding war for their services take time to develop. Can't really blame recruits for that. I know Oregon isn't showing signs of wanting of getting into a bidding war this early in the cycle... maybe more so at the end of the recruiting cycle but getting into a bidding war now only drives up the NIL price. 

Be patient... we will know a whole lot more later in the year, but that doesn't mean it isn't hard to watch right now. 

• Thumbs Up 3