Jon Joseph

No Dye? Don't Cry. Here's Why.

It's about the SYSTEM and not a SINGLE  player.

The 3 top running teams in the SEC last season were not the 'usual suspects.'

1. Arkansas  2. Ole Miss  3.Tennessee.

Not one of these teams produced: an all SEC running back; an 800 yard rusher; a player who averaged more than 13 carries a game. All 3 played up tempo offense and ran more plays than did the rest of the SEC teams. And all 3 had dual threat QBs. 

Even with the run production, all 3 Os hit the long ball. All were in the top 4 in the SEC with passing plays of 50+ yards. 

The above stats are courtesy of Connor O'Gara of Saturday Down South. As O'Gara notes, 'It's all about the scheme.'

From what we have all read to date, the up tempo style of play is what coach Lanning and coach Dillingham will be bringing back to Oregon, instead of the dysfunctional O we saw out of Mario.

Travis Dye going to the Trojans is a loss, no doubt. But there is plenty of talent at the Oregon RB position. And an up tempo scheme will not only help the skill players. It will help the OL guys obtain better blocking angles and will also help wear down the opponent's D. 

The Oregon Brand will return. Far more important than my POV is hearing from many the Ducks player that 'football is fun again.' 

Can't wait to get this party started!

• Thumbs Up 7

On 4/11/2022 at 10:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

'It's all about the scheme.'

We definitely know this. Chip had a scheme, Mario had a scheme, Lanning and Dillingham look to have a scheme, and a "fun" one, for the players and the fans. Without the name on the jersey now, I won't even know it's Dye if I see the Trojans play next season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dye did his best Earl Campbell impersonation in Mario's Lombardi ball offense. Just as DAT or James would have struggled being expected to pound it inside over and over again, Dye may have struggled with an up tempo turn the corner and run for daylight type of scheme.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:41 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Dye did his best Earl Campbell impersonation in Mario's Lombardi ball offense. Just as DAT or James would have struggled being expected to pound it inside over and over again, Dye may have struggled with an up tempo turn the corner and run for daylight type of scheme.

I LOVE the reference to Vince Lombardi.

Despite all statistics to the contrary, despite a guy like Saban changing the Bama style of play on O, Mario seemed to be trapped in a 3 yards and a cloud of dust time warp?

If you watched Michigan last season, I don't expect new Miami OC Gattis, especially under the aegis of Mario, will bring the Miami O into the 21st century any time soon?

I respected Dye for his effort on the field. Guy played hard. However, Our RB room has reloaded and has some guys that will probably shine brighter. 

Speaking of getting a party started…it is one day late…but….Happy Birthday Coach Dan Lanning!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario can take his scheme and shove it where the sun don't shine.  Using his rigid scheme for TP will leave you with a bad case of hemorrhoids.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Haha 2

No Dye? Don't Cry. Here's Why.

Bob Marley?

• Haha 2

Travis was a very good 2 back for a nice change of pace and worked as hard as anyone but being tossed into lead back in a smash mouth type of offense was not good for him. Finding a back that can do what MC was asking is only happening at a few schools. MCs offensive line struggled to open up holes facing 7 and even 8 man fronts and was unsuccessful most of the time. Unfair to ask Travis to be that guy. I won’t wish him well because now he’s the enemy but I did appreciate his effort while being here.