FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: Culture Cannot Be Just a Buzzword

Good article by FishDuck's David Marsh!

DJ-Johnson-v-OSU-2021-Tom-Corno-300x300-
FISHDUCK.COM

In the age of NIL, culture must be more than a buzzword. Coaches love to throw around the term "culture" all the time, and each coach wants to claim his unique...
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Very true about that every team has a culture, how palpable the culture is it what counts. Kelly's teams had it dripping off them, then it practically evaporated under Helfrich. Taggart was flying high until he flew the coop, Mario definitely had one, his teams were going to run through a brick wall, over and over and over.

Lanning has learned from the best on how to create and maintain a culture. Kirby learned from Saban, Lanning from Kirby. You play as you practice, and you don't take a play off if you want to make the playoffs. 

While it is over-used, the culture from the previous coach is different, and the players have stated as such.  And it matters...

Good article David!

Mr. FishDuck

David, thanks for another terrific article, including noting the influence of NIL and the Portal on CFB in general and on Oregon specifically.

As you implied, 'culture' in sports is nebulous. In CFB, like in all sporting endeavors, your 'culture' is going to be measured by W's and L's.

I think Wake Forest has a terrific culture, a small school that wins a lot of games. But Wake will never win a national championship.

Lots of OBD folks believed that Mario introduced a great culture at Oregon. I didn't see it. If you play down to the level of the competition, as the Ducks so often did under Cristobal, IMO you don't have much of a 'culture.' 

The best sustainable cultures we have observed lately in CFB exist at Bama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma. UGA won a natty last season against a dinged up Tide team but did not win the conference title. We have yet to know whether last season's success at UGA under Smart is the beginning of a championship run or a Chizik-like title for Auburn?

Of the 5 teams mentioned above, all 5 including UGA last season, had a significant roster talent advantage over the vast majority of conference foes. In CFB, wins follow the best Jimmies and Joes playing in the best schemes.

I have a good deal of hope that Dan Lanning and the staff he has assembled will bring a lot of success to Oregon. But the 1st thing I want to see is in-game EFFORT.

I want Oregon to play up to the quality of its roster and not down to the level of teams the Ducks should destroy. Then, wins will follow instead of embarrassing defeats against CAL, OR ST, ASU, Iowa State and Utah. 

The talk out of Lanning et al and the enthusiasm out of the players has been great. Now, walk the walk. Conference titles and Final 4 invites will define Oregon's 'culture' under Dan Lanning.

If a team does not win far more games than it loses, the program's 'culture' is irrelevant. A team's APR, graduation rate and good citizenry, will not keep a losing coach employed.

Establishing a culture that thrives is easier said than done. It starts with the coaching staff establishing goals and defining the work ethic that is necessary to attain those goals. If players buy in to the culture then many players start to develop into leaders that are very helpful with teaching and leading by example. 

Businesses can thrive or die depending on the culture within a specific office, or business. 

Wins and losses at an elite level are used to measure success. However, they don’t necessarily define whether a healthy culture exists. A good example were the teams of Mike Bellotti. He established a great culture and had his teams playing at a high level when he stepped down as head coach. Another current example is Johnathan Smith, the rodents won’t win the Natty, but I respect that he is establishing a winning culture. 

A healthy culture leads to success, but not necessarily a National Championship. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

OT - A+M Transfer QB Calzada was playing with a dinged shoulder but the standout player in the Auburn spring game was Robby Ashford. 

Looks like Robby has a legit shot at starting at QB for the Tigers, a team undergoing a big time 'culture shift' under Brain Harsin. A number of Auburn guys portaled out because they said Harsin, unlike Gus Malzahn, practiced them 'too hard."

Guys like this? If I was a teammate I'd be glad they went away.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/12/2022 at 2:14 PM, Drake said:

Establishing a culture that thrives is easier said than done. It starts with the coaching staff establishing goals and defining the work ethic that is necessary to attain those goals. If players buy in to the culture then many players start to develop into leaders that are very helpful with teaching and leading by example. 

Businesses can thrive or die depending on the culture within a specific office, or business. 

Wins and losses at an elite level are used to measure success. However, they don’t necessarily define whether a healthy culture exists. A good example were the teams of Mike Bellotti. He established a great culture and had his teams playing at a high level when he stepped down as head coach. Another current example is Johnathan Smith, the rodents won’t win the Natty, but I respect that he is establishing a winning culture. 

A healthy culture leads to success, but not necessarily a National Championship. 

Very good points. However, businesses that do not continually finish 'in the black' end up with new management or go BK.

Instead of "culture", I wish they would use the Polynesian word, Ohana.

What we mean by culture is work ethic, team support and encouragement, obeying coaches, believing in the game plan, believing in each other, and living off the field in a manner that is respectful of the logo on the jersey. 

What better word than ohana, family.

Reaching deep to give a little more for your brother next to you, what better culture is there!

• Thumbs Up 4

If you read into what Lanning talks about it is all about having a growth mindset. You aren't great, you are what you put towards your weaknesses and how strong your strengths become. Most players have only heard about how good they already are and a fixed mindset is instilled. They think I am good enough and deserve to start based on my talent level right now. Lanning is trying to develop a culture of where there is a thirst to get better, hear about what they can improve on, not just hearing coaches stroke egos.

The problem with that is most kids have just heard about how good they are. Some are even afraid to address any weaknesses they may have, doesn't jibe with what they have been told their whole lives. They have no flaws and deserve only the best. They may like to practice, but only on their position and do what they are good at. We may even see some of our superstars leave because of this attitude.

The other problem with a culture is their is usually a hierarchy based on the age of the athletes. If the seniors don't have the mindset of a winner, then the whole program suffers. Hopefully this is one of the reasons they brought Bo in. A team needs a strong top down attitude within the team of players. What is acceptable and what isn't starts with the coaches, but only works if the senior players buy in. I am sure Dan is very cognizant of this and wonder what he has done to address this issue.

This then extends to the next generation of players, unless they didn't understand what it took for these seniors to achieve what they did. OSU basketball is a perfect example of that going sideways. Helfrich's teams also lost Marcus and many players who understood what it took, and suffered. Each year needs to build on the last and sometimes it takes a special player to truly instill this, who might that be?

It will be a tall task for Lanning and staff to truly instill the culture they want. There is a set culture already from Mario and as many have said it isn't the most solid cultures. He may have to take some kids out when effort falters against EWU in the second week. He needs to see players taking no downs off. It will be critical he sets this mentality early and often. That will be one thing to watch for as the culture grows. How does he handle the EWU game and does he have destroyers or guys who just want to get along. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/12/2022 at 1:31 PM, DanLduck said:

Instead of "culture", I wish they would use the Polynesian word, Ohana.

What we mean by culture is work ethic, team support and encouragement, obeying coaches, believing in the game plan, believing in each other, and living off the field in a manner that is respectful of the logo on the jersey. 

What better word than ohana, family.

Reaching deep to give a little more for your brother next to you, what better culture is there!

Interesting you mention the Poly culture as encouragement, yet it seems there seems to be a very strict way of giving encouragement. Encouragement from what I know is earned and often kept just out of reach in Poly culture. Children aren't given massive amounts of stimulation of how well they are doing, not a lot of participation trophies given out.  There is an emphasis on respect of elders and always striving to be their best. 

When I think of a winning culture I do think of the Poly culture because they do tend to obey the coach, something sometimes missing in other kids. There is also an amazing work ethic and believing in family and team. I agree there are few cultures as strong and amazing as the Poly culture, especially for football.

How do you define the encouragement in the Poly culture?

On 4/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, Haywarduck said:

Interesting you mention the Poly culture as encouragement, yet it seems there seems to be a very strict way of giving encouragement. Encouragement from what I know is earned and often kept just out of reach in Poly culture. Children aren't given massive amounts of stimulation of how well they are doing, not a lot of participation trophies given out.  There is an emphasis on respect of elders and always striving to be their best. 

When I think of a winning culture I do think of the Poly culture because they do tend to obey the coach, something sometimes missing in other kids. There is also an amazing work ethic and believing in family and team. I agree there are few cultures as strong and amazing as the Poly culture, especially for football.

How do you define the encouragement in the Poly culture?

I know nothing of the encouraging part. I was thinking about the idea of family including all, and how family comes first. That we do all together because success is experienced by all, as all contribute. That love of family and responsibility for family encourages a giving of all you got.

• Thanks 1