DanLduck

Ducks Down to One Punter!?

Walk-on punter Will Hutchison has entered the portal. He was the only punter in the spring game.

He was impressive!

He had 2 kicks over 60 yards and was able to change his style and keep it out of the endzone. 

I know it's not the most important position, but a good punter is a great sneaky weapon to have.

Scholarship punter Tom Snee is away from the program currently, for undisclosed reasons.

I guess we didn't have a schollie to offer.

Here's hoping Snee comes back.

I want our special teams this year to be, well, special.

• Oh no! 1

I was not happy to see this. He was one of the guys I was impressed with during the spring game. He seemed like an upgrade to Snee.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't blame a walk on for looking for. A chance at a scholarship elsewhere. Doesn't mean he actually leaves Oregon because he might not get a scholarship offer from any program. 

But I did talk about this issue awhile back and I'll just link my article. Kickers, punters and longsnappers play a key role on special teams but they often don't have scholarships.

Camden-Lewis-Rose-Bowl-2019-Eugene-Johns
FISHDUCK.COM

Most of the focus in football is placed on the star power positions like quarterbacks, running backs...

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, DanLduck said:

I know it's not the most important position, but a good punter is a great sneaky weapon to have.

I agree thinking that way. But imagine if a team has one punter and he goes down, what now? It's bad when a punter shanks one, how do you expect a player who hasn't practiced punting at all to do? Bad enough if we're talking a punt from the middle of the field, what if his feet are on the edge of the end zone and he has to get the punt off? Scary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, DanLduck said:

Walk-on punter Will Hutchison has entered the portal. He was the only punter in the spring game.

He was impressive!

He had 2 kicks over 60 yards and was able to change his style and keep it out of the endzone. 

Scholarship punter Tom Snee is away from the program currently, for undisclosed reasons.

I guess we didn't have a schollie to offer.

Here's hoping Snee comes back.

I want our special teams this year to be, well, special.

Update: Andrew Boyle, a transfer from WSU, will be on campus for fall practice. He is a "big leg" kicker to challenge Camden Lewis but can also fill in as a punter.

So maybe now we will have 2.

Whatever the status of Tom Snee is will really determine our punting situation. We should have 2 ideally but Tom Snee may still be with the team. He may not ..  but we will have to wait and find out. 

Either way I am sure Lanning and co are looking for additional punters and kickers. As most are walk on status anyways. 

On 5/4/2022 at 4:39 PM, DanLduck said:

Update: Andrew Boyle, a transfer from WSU, will be on campus for fall practice. He is a "big leg" kicker to challenge Camden Lewis but can also fill in as a punter.

So maybe now we will have 2.

Agree, but DJ Johnson can do anything so I think we have 3.

• Whew! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

Hutch looked like a talent that could help the team. All said and done he took advantage of the opportunity, and has the game tape as a recruitment tool. 

• Thumbs Up 1