Charles Fischer

COVID Sports Question for Medical Professionals and Everyone?

I was quite surprised to see in the telecast of the UO-OSU Men's basketball game the two players held out due to COVID protocols sitting on the sidelines at the game in MKA.

It was said that the players were asymptomatic, but can't you still spread the disease when in that condition?   If you have tested positive....shouldn't you quarantine from EVERYONE until the time period passes and you test negative?

Yes I know they were wearing masks, but that is another issue as so many of them are a thin cloth layer of which serve more for appearance than effectiveness.  It just seems to me that they should not have been there possibly infecting others?  Could they have worn those masks and played since they were there anyway?  (I do not think they should have been there at all)

Or perhaps I do not understand and would love to be corrected.  What is your understanding and how should that have been handled in your opinion? 

Mr. FishDuck

It didn't make much sense for them to be there, while they were under, covid protocols. It is the common procedure that when players aren't playing they wear a mask. So they weren't treating it any differently with these two players? 

I missed the game, so I'm not sure what was exactly said.  It could have been where the first test was positive, but the 2nd test was negative and they were waiting to perform a 3rd test.  The protocols from what I have seen have not been followed very consistently by teams/conferences.  My preference would have been to leave the player in quarantine.  

We still aren't getting a consistent answer on asymptomatic being contagious or not.

Duarte and Figueroa had both been cleared to practice, so they must have been in a non-transmittable stage or possibly in contact tracing status. Can't play, but can practice..........go figure.

1 minute ago, ICamel said:

Duarte and Figueroa had both been cleared to practice, so they must have been in a non-transmittable stage or possibly in contact tracing status. Can't play, but can practice..........go figure.

Makes sense, but we do not know for sure and I still have all these questions...

Mr. FishDuck

Found this from Chris Hanson of The Register Guard "The Ducks will be without leading scorer Chris Duarte and starting guard/forward LJ Figueroa, who are both asymptomatic after contracting the coronavirus but still in COVID-19 protocol and isolating from the team."(1/22).

Unfortunately, a subscription to the RG was needed to read the article. 

My assumption is the two were sitting out due to contact tracing, meaning they were exposed to a test positive case and are required to quarantine for 14 days.  During that 14 days, they , themselves, may become contagious for 3-4 days prior to developing any covid symptoms if they were to contract covid, so I also assume they are being tested regularly.  Why they were allowed to be with the team in the facility is beyond me.

Didn't Trevor Lawrence travel with Clemson this last season when he was asymptomatic with COVID?

These protocols strike me as dumb in the highest degree.

Trying to ferret out the facts in these times is truly a Herculean task. Who is contagious, when are they contagious and how long is something it seems few know.

What is amazing is 31 nurses were infected at the Redmond Oregon Hospital and a third of them had the first vaccine shot. It is still time to be careful as too little is known for sure.

I found this on an ESPN insider article.

The NFL and the CDC published a paper because their testing and tracking was so intensive.

Of course, playing football in a pandemic requires at least some good fortune. In this case, the NFL benefited from the unexpected reality that games themselves -- three hours of players in close quarters, breathing heavily on each other -- were not spreading events. The NFL has not had a single infection traced to interaction during a game, according to Sills.

During the regular season, 19 teams allowed 1,181,066 fans to attend games, and the Cowboys accounted for 197,313 of that total. The NFL said that no outbreaks had been reported based on attendance at NFL games anywhere in the country, but Rubenstein was among many public health officials who questioned the relevance of that claim. Contact tracing at NFL games was largely left to overwhelmed public health authorities who were unable to trace every infection.

This article is currently on ESPNs NFL page, if others have ESPN insider membership.

5 minutes ago, Tandaian said:

I found this on an ESPN insider article.

This is incredible....and gives me great hope.  THANK YOU.

Mr. FishDuck

I see no way that they can verify lack of transmission during a game, or through fan base interaction.  Neither of those make any sense to me, knowing how contagious covid is.  Sounds like they're doing the best they can keeping players safe with heavy testing.  The fans, not so much.

A little off-topic, but any which way, I have to say that even with vaccinations I'm not sure that by fall I'll be ready to sit in a stadium with 50,000+ other people. I'm wondering if that many will be allowed, or if they will limit the number of fans to, say, 15,000, assuming fans will be permitted to attend all.

1 hour ago, Annie said:

A little off-topic, but any which way, I have to say that even with vaccinations I'm not sure that by fall I'll be ready to sit in a stadium with 50,000+ other people. I'm wondering if that many will be allowed, or if they will limit the number of fans to, say, 15,000, assuming fans will be permitted to attend all.

I agree, I think the return will be slow. But any at all would be better than the cardboard cut outs. 

• Thumbs Up 1