30Duck

The Hiring Of DeRuyter Was Just Following The Plan

See the source image

Tim DeRuyter wasn't a splashy hire, but Mario Cristobal felt like DeRuyter had a lot of things in common with the coach he was going to replace. You can see how the pattern was followed in this article from wholeflockofducks.com

From what I understand, Coach Cristobal has had the desire to make Coach DeRuyter part of his staff since getting the Oregon job. 

People were talking about the hire not being “sexy” enough, but that defense and production is sexy enough for me!

I really like have a coach coming in who has been a DC before and it seemed that many of the other candidates mentioned had no real DC experience.  That said, the only red flag I have to this hire was why wasn't he the primary play caller for Cal's defense last year? 

45 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

I really like have a coach coming in who has been a DC before and it seemed that many of the other candidates mentioned had no real DC experience.  That said, the only red flag I have to this hire was why wasn't he the primary play caller for Cal's defense last year? 

I can’t find a great reason for that. Coach Wilcox cited staff continuity, as other teams were trying to hire Coach Sirmon away and giving him play-calling duties kept him. Coach DeRuyter probably agreed, but would probably rather call the plays, which is why he’s now at Oregon. 

I've read too it was just a preemptive move to try to keep Sirmon from leaving. Very similar to what the UW did with Kwaitkowski and Lake.

Between Wilcox, DeRuyter, Sirmon, and DB coach Marcel Yates, Cal had 4 guys with recent DC experience, it was unlikely Cal could keep them all. I'd imagine TDR has no no more forgotten how to call defenses than Kwaitkowski did.

Given how DeRuyter's defenses have affected UW the last few years, I'm guessing Lake isn't very happy right now.

Very Game of Thrones, or Sun Tsu.

If the opposing commander shows the ability to defeat you, eschew the direct attack and use diplomacy or bribes to convince him to switch allegiances and join your side. In this way, the wider war can be won.

FishIceCream guide to strategy chapter 1 lol.

Nobody should ever say MC is a dummy!

Edited by FishIceCream
  • Like 1

As an AF guy I appreciate his playing and coaching lineage. I work with a guy that was a RB for the Falcons, but he graduated right before TDR started coaching there. He does have friends that coached with him though, and said he is a good coach. I'm excited. 

34 minutes ago, FishIceCream said:

Very Game of Thrones, or Sun Tsu.

If the opposing commander shows the ability to defeat you, eschew the direct attack and use diplomacy or bribes to convince him to switch allegiances and join your side. In this way, the wider war can be won.

FishIceCream guide to strategy chapter 1 lol.

Nobody should ever say MC is a dummy!

Your post is both very funny, and yet profound....if you can't beat 'em, then hire 'em!

Mr. FishDuck

The two facts still stand out to me....he effectively shut down Oregon for a full game between the last two contests, (first half of 2019, and the second half of 2020)...think of it; not scoring for a full half in each game?

The other fact is how he has already game-planned for each team in the conference, and thus there will not be any learning curve for him in game-planning for opponents.  Huge...

Mr. FishDuck

3 hours ago, Coach Eric Boles said:

I can’t find a great reason for that. Coach Wilcox cited staff continuity, as other teams were trying to hire Coach Sirmon away and giving him play-calling duties kept him. Coach DeRuyter probably agreed, but would probably rather call the plays, which is why he’s now at Oregon. 

It's interesting, I was listening to PAC-12 radio on Sirius XM and they were talking to Nick Aliotti about this hire and he seemed somewhat  perplexed by the hire.  He said something about the old school honor amongst coaches not taking lateral jobs in conference and I thought that was strange to say the least.... He went on to say he'll be talking  to Justin Wilcox later this week to get to the bottom of it.   It was like this hire didn't sit well with him for some reason.   

For me I think there are too many chefs  in the defensive kitchen at Cal and this gives DeRuyter his own D again... I could be wrong but I know the money will be better and so will the talent in Eugene! 

Edited by Southern Duck

47 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

For me I think there are too many chefs in the defensive kitchen at Cal and this gives DeRuyter his own D again... I could be wrong but I know the money will be better and so will the talent in Eugene! 

I completely agree with you on both counts with this sentence.

And Aliotti coached Justin Wilcox at Oregon, and loved his brother Josh, so there is a real loyalty issue there that clouds his judgment too.

Justin Wilcox SK FP.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

9 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

Your post is both very funny, and yet profound....if you can't beat 'em, then hire 'em!

Or if your Alabama, hire everyone and sort it out later. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Southern Duck said:

the old school honor amongst coaches not taking lateral jobs in conference

I'm not sure that's much of a thing any longer, but it is interesting to think about. 

The Ducks have poached coaches several times for lateral jobs - I believe Mastro from Wazzu is the most recent example before DeRuyter.

Then two years ago the other conference coaches gave the Ducks no love when it came time to vote for all-conference teams and coach of the year.

Payback?

Edited by FishIceCream

44 minutes ago, FishIceCream said:

I'm not sure that's much of a thing any longer, but it is interesting to think about. 

And I wonder how far back one would have to go to find when that may have actually been a real thing... I have a vague memory of our OC going to Cal to be their DC, or our DC to be their OC, sometime in the early 90s.  Denny Schuler perhaps?

• Like 1

My recollection is that Schuler had been at four Pac-12 schools and had served as both an offensive and defensive coordinators!  I know Ken Woody served at three Pac-12 schools, and I believe that Peter Sirmon is on his third Pac-12 school along with Justin Wilcox himself.

I love Nick, but I think this is his issue....

Aliotti comforts JS.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Why would anyone not pass up a chance to be The D guy at Oregon and double their salary? In conference move or not the money difference along with the chance to be The D guy at Oregon is a lot to pass up.

According to reports I read DeRuyter left Cal making $400K a year. Avlos left Oregon making $830K(?). Bonuses would get an Oregon DC close to $1M. Not much bonus action at Cal.

It's a win win situation.

• Like 2

It will be really interesting to see what DeRuyter can do with Oregon's talent level. 

• Like 1

Seems to be a very SEC hiring move, to me... Those guys cannibalize each other's staffs on a regular basis.

In Mario we trust.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FishIceCream said:

The Ducks have poached coaches several times for lateral jobs - I believe Mastro from Wazzu is the most recent example before DeRuyter.

Oregon has really plundered WSU when Leach was there...

David Yost (2016)

Joe Salave'a (2017)

Jim Mastro (2018)

Ken Wilson (2019)

• Like 1

The Register Guard (Jan. 22) reported DeRuyter earned $825,000 at Cal in 2020.

Initial articles just reported the contract's base of $400,000. Incentives brought that up (including $300,000 for retention).

• Like 1