David Marsh

Heyward Leaving?

It would appear there is a coaching exchange going on between Oregon and Cal. Oregon took DeRuyter and now Cal is looking to add Heyward by the looks of it.

Interesting note is with the departure of Heyward only Joe Salave'a in the ONLY assistant coach who is a holdover from the Taggart year (Cristobal is head coach so not counting him).

Just from following FishDuck, it seems like he's been on the cusp but passed over now 2-3 times to get promoted to full DC?

It's probably his time to make a move. I hope he does great outside of one game per year.

I was half expecting this as Heyward has been patient in vying for the DC spot.  While the coaching switch is a net positive for Oregon, it still sucks to lose him as he's a great safeties coach and a high level recruiter.

I don't see MC hiring an unproven coordinator at this time... maybe in the future... but championship aspirations require proven coaching, especially at the coordinator positions the risk to too great.

Best of luck to Heyward. A mutual parting, both sides wanted something new. It’s nice to be the school in position to make the decision.

I’m going to be keeping an eye on other staff changes. There are several assistant contracts up for renewal and it will be interesting to see what Cristobal wants to do with those. Heyward and Salave’a we’re getting a combined $1.3 million - those types of salaries get you elite position coaches and recruiters. 

Heyward would not be the full DC, but Co-DC with Sirmon as DeRuyter was.  Coach Sirmon is lining himself up to be DC somewhere as well eventually...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hayward has been around the Pac-12 for a long time now, this will be his 5th Pac-12 school. 

Good Luck. 

giphy.gif

The recruiting bo-bo at Notre Dame didn't seem too bad, anyone know what Todd Lyght's plans are?

28 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Heyward would not be the full DC, but Co-DC with Sirmon as DeRuyter was.  Coach Sirmon is lining himself up to be DC somewhere as well eventually...

This makes sense as to why Heyward would go there and take less right now....  This will also help Cal's recruiting! 

I might also add that Heyward wasn't Mario's hire, I'll be interested to see who Cristobal brings in.....