Tandaian

Oregon Recruiting Under Dan Lanning

The expectation for Oregon is that Dan Lanning is not only going to keep meeting Cristobal’s standard but maybe even exceed it.

USATSI_18139768.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon’s recruiting saw an uptick under Mario Cristobal. Now with Dan Lanning at the helm, can the Ducks hold onto that elite status, or even further it?

Kind of makes you want to dance. 

On 6/3/2022 at 8:10 AM, Drake said:

Kind of makes you want to dance. 

Not even in my younger days was that possible 

• Cool 1
  • Mic drop 1

We should have better information to make a judgment come Dec signing day. So far so good.

Bo Nix may be the most important recruit, and indicator of recruiting this season. Nix will either be a recruit, transfer, who Oregon can develop into the player the program needs, or another elite recruit who fizzles. 

Too often recruits don't work out and programs elite recruiting never materializes as talent on the field. Nix will be an immediate indicator that Oregon can identify who they want, and make him fit into the winning machine they are trying to create.

I tend to think Lanning and crew have been very strategic, and effective recruiters. Pulling in Taimani, Nix, Gonzalez, and a few RB's hit exactly where we needed depth, and skill players. Signing Connerly showed we can go get the 5* players at critical positions. 

Now we just need to keep the calculated, and fruitful recruiting going as we see a full season of high school recruiting in action. Having a successful Nix will propel our recruiting to an even higher level. That is the biggest success I want to see.

Nix already shows Lanning can exceed Mario's recruiting, as compared to AB, now Nix just needs to blow away expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you can say veteran portal transfers are more system-opportunity focused than on position coaches, and recruits tend towards the opposite, then the Lanning era has already demonstrated what an advantage it has over the MariU era. New recruits notwithstanding, there is just a higher degree of trust out there in what DL and assistants will produce on the field than MC ever achieved.

I tend to agree with the observations that DL' s recruiting "prowess" (if I may) so far seems to supersede Mari-'s.

In the transfer portal, what's impressive is the deliberation in the targeting to specific roster gaps: the RB's, Gonzalez, and DL's.

In terms of HS recruits, MC seemed to rely on recruiting rankings to target players and a good sales pitch to reel in enough guys to rank a class highly overall with some 3 star development guys to fill in the blanks.  But, there were always gaps....one year it was RB's, the next WR's, and then QB's.

DL's strategy seems to be: identify position metrics for the system; target the best out there (anywhere they are) relying as much on evaluation as rankings; and then pitch the opportunity to be on the dominate West Coast team. His system seems to allow for better fit to player's talents as well.

Of course, DL has NIL advantages that Mari- didn't based on the program timeline.  Bottom line, DL is setting things up to have a higher talent composite, better depth, and a more attractive style of play to draw in better players over the long haul. 

• Applause 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:00 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I tend to agree with the observations that DL' s recruiting "prowess" (if I may) so far seems to supersede Mari-'s.

In the transfer portal, what's impressive is the deliberation in the targeting to specific roster gaps: the RB's, Gonzalez, and DL's.

In terms of HS recruits, MC seemed to rely on recruiting rankings to target players and a good sales pitch to reel in enough guys to rank a class highly overall with some 3 star development guys to fill in the blanks.  But, there were always gaps....one year it was RB's, the next WR's, and then QB's.

DL's strategy seems to be: identify position metrics for the system; target the best out there (anywhere they are) relying as much on evaluation as rankings; and then pitch the opportunity to be on the dominate West Coast team. His system seems to allow for better fit to player's talents as well.

Of course, DL has NIL advantages that Mari- didn't based on the program timeline.  Bottom line, DL is setting things up to have a higher talent composite, better depth, and a more attractive style of play to draw in better players over the long haul. 

It’s a great business plan for sure.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1