Notalot

2022 Ducks Football from a Utes Perspective

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fthu
WWW.DESERET.COM

Lanning was the defensive coordinator with last year’s national champion Georgia Bulldogs, which boasted the...

For a "Preview", this article lacks depth and details. Not very interesting/informational read from this writer.

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like it says, from a Ute’s perspective. The only real purpose here is to scratch that itch that always wants to say other teams are good only because they have some of our locals.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Yep, pretty dull read.

Totally agree with Pennsylvania

Totally disagree with Washington

I would look at more as "Dang, wish we didn't let those guys get away".

Edited by savagefund
point clarification
  • Go Ducks! 1

Im just going to say that the scheme coupled with the right players is what wins games. Last year along with Mario's prevent offense and all the injuries as well as those that opted out put our season in the toilet, IMO  compared to Oregon- Utah shouldn't be a problem. they have always been a lower tier recruited program.  

With that said maybe these big time recruits are not all that good? Maybe the facilities spoil the players?? I dont know?  I expect Lanning and the Ducks to win all but 1 game next year-anything less is a failure. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1

Stupid article - did it say anything?  Definitely not from a Utes perspective.  The Deseret News isn’t considered a real paper by many Ute fans since their owner also happens to own byu - the Mormon church - and they think it has an overly strong bias towards byu and the church.  Just as many byu fans dislike the SL Tribune because it is the “liberal Utes paper” and often takes shots at the church.  Neither have very good sports analysis most of the time IMHO and have slanted perspectives..  I would much rather read pac-12 sports on Mercury News - or here!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 6/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

With that said maybe these big time recruits are not all that good? Maybe the facilities spoil the players?? I dont know?  I expect Lanning and the Ducks to win all but 1 game next year-anything less is a failure. 

I think some of the big time recruits haven't been used to their full potential. 

Hard to unlock some top tier wide receiver talent when the quarterback can't throw the ball down the field. 

Hard for someone like Kayvon Thibodeux to get a bunch of sacks when the underneath routes are always open for a quick pass before the pressure gets home. 

I do feel scheme has held all of Oregon's talent back. Get those players in position to make plays and they will make plays. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2

"Big-time recruits" have done a ton for schools like tOSU, Bama, Dawgs, Okie. MC is the first Oregon coach singing big time recruits at a high level. Now we have Lanning and Co. 

We all grew up with "that kid" on the block. All talk no game. "Mari" might just be that kid. Have to wait and see how it plays out at the U. Get your popcorn. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Guest Axel
On 6/11/2022 at 3:37 PM, Goutes18 said:

Stupid article - did it say anything?  Definitely not from a Utes perspective.  The Deseret News isn’t considered a real paper by many Ute fans

I agree that the article was a bit thin on anything newsworthy. And maybe the Deseret News isn't considered a real paper, because maybe there aren't enough earth-shattering, astounding things happening in Utah. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't want to wake up every morning in the middle of Times Square. I get annoyed enough when my next-door neighbor slams his car door a tad too loud.

If I were the editor of this article, I would have woven into it the three best things that ever happened to Utah--1. a lake so salty that no one can possibly drown in it (fall overboard from your boat and you pop right back up like a cork), 2. "Carnival of Souls"--the creepiest horror movie ever filmed that I still cannot watch without turning on every single light in the house, and 3. Skinwalker Ranch, the biggest UFO playground outside of Area 51 and Roswell, New Mexico. 

Now how do you possibly include all three of these fascinating Utah facts into an article about what Dan Lanning will bring to the Ducks? Easy. You make stuff up. One of my journalism professors taught me the most valuable thing ever: "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

Here's my new opening paragraph to jazz up that dull Deseret News article:

Dan Lanning, Oregon's incredibly brilliant new young coach is already giving Kyle Wittingham bloodcurdling nightmares, the kind experienced by that terrified girl in the horror film "Carnival of Souls." Genius Lanning is the exact opposite of that dunderhead Mario Cristobal, and this year the Ducks offense and defense will be as unsinkable as a drunk who stumbles into the deep end of the Great Salt Lake. Rather than travel to Eugene on November 19, we wouldn't be surprised if Wittingham takes his Utes players out to Skinwalker Ranch, gets them all aboard a UFO, and blasts the hell off to Alpha Centauri.

Now, THAT is journalism.

Axel is one of the funniest posters anywhere!  Carnival of Souls is such a classic - made my day!

5164F288-D44F-452E-BEFD-3981D5D46442.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1