Charles Fischer

Canzano: George Kliavkoff's First Year on the Job was a Doozy of a Win

“I’ve have time blocked out on my calendar for pondering. I’ve built blocks of time to read, view things, consider stuff. More often than not, that turns out to be some of my most valuable time of the day.”

Sounds like he would fit in with this community just fine!

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Commissioner officially hired last July 1.

• Salute 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am not sure how much of the alliance with the Big Ten and ACC did for us.  I feel like it hurt us more than helped.  For instance, I think it kind of kept him from really pushing the school presidents and CEOs to bring the remaining Big 12 schools to join the PAC12.  A great missed opportunity on that one.  It would have given us clout for inking out a great media rights deal.

Other than that I think he is really trying to find ways to get this conference back on track.  I especially like the idea of him being on board to dump the NCAA.  Amazing how much money they've raked in from the colleges.

Edited by NJDuck

On 6/21/2022 at 11:37 AM, NJDuck said:

I am not sure how much of the alliance with the Big Ten and ACC did for us.  I feel like it hurt us more than helped.  For instance, I think it kind of kept him from really pushing the school presidents and CEOs to bring the remaining Big 12 schools to join the PAC12.  A great missed opportunity on that one.  It would have given us clout for inking out a great media rights deal.

Other than that I think he is really trying to find ways to get this conference back on track.  I especially like the idea of him being on board to dump the NCAA.  Amazing how much money they've raked in from the colleges.

The alliance stuff in truth didn't really do much but damped SEC aggression in taking more control over the sport. The SEC has destroyed the big-12 and the alliance talk was really no more than a warning for the SEC to back down from any notion of doing it to other conferences. Will it continue to work... Who knows. 

I also don't think that any schools in the big-12 would want to join the pac-12. Stay tuned for my article on FishDuck tomorrow. You may disagree but that's just fine too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/21/2022 at 1:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

“I’ve have time blocked out on my calendar for pondering. I’ve built blocks of time to read, view things, consider stuff. More often than not, that turns out to be some of my most valuable time of the day.”

Sounds like he would fit in with this community just fine!

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Commissioner officially hired last July 1.

That's brilliant, by George.

I call such interludes "naps"

• Haha 1

For those questioning the value of the Alliance, it’s what you didn’t see that is what you should use as a measuring stick.  

Sankey is a crafty bully who is totally in the tank for ESPN.  His goal is to renew their stranglehold on the CFP because doing so denies his competitors outside the B1G revenue (smaller pie of which the SEC disproportionately owns)

Hence the attempt to land a CFP expansion by fiat which in turn likely allows ESPN to exercise their ROFR.  

The Alliance put the brakes on all of that.  

Kliavkoff strikes me as an insanely savvy operator and more than a match for the likes of Sankey.  

The SEC is not in a position of power so long as the Alliance holds.  It’s all bluster and Sankey knows this as does Kliavkoff I suspect.  

The SEC isn’t going to do their own thing because that is suicide.  Sankey is posturing to look as big as possible because he knows that, given current course and speed, he is dancing to the tempo of the Alliance 

I know this reads as counterintuitive given the SEC’s brand but they are in a weak position at the moment 

On 6/21/2022 at 2:26 PM, David Marsh said:

I also don't think that any schools in the big-12 would want to join the pac-12.

I think teams like Texas Tech & Oklahoma State were willing.  The issue seems to be with the PAC and their Superiority Complex to certain schools.