NJDuck

Canzano: Phil Knight Can Help Put the Pac-12 Back Together Again

Canzano says per multiple sources, Folt assured her fellow Pac-12 chancellors and presents and even Kliavkoff that USC was committed to the conference---until it wasn't. 

I agree, Phil Knight could help.  He loves Oregon and the state of Oregon.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Sense of urgency arises in Pac-12.

Edited by NJDuck

UCLA legally is not gone yet -Canzano needs a brush up on Cal law and Phil is not going to save the PAC -the only thing to do that is a better TV contract.

Maybe Phil buys ESPN-CBS-FOX????

Dont think so.

You are right about Cal Law, there are a lot of the states BIG conference abide in that will not allow state employees to travel to. But it's hard for me to believe UCLA had not already discussed this with their lawyers with their options, before they considered the move.  Maybe there are some loopholes.  This has been in the works for awhile now.

Edited by NJDuck

On 7/2/2022 at 10:36 AM, NJDuck said:

You are right about Cal Law, there are a lot of the states BIG conference abide in that will not allow state employees to travel to. But it's hard for me to believe UCLA had not already discussed this with their lawyers with their options, before they considered the move.  Maybe there are some loopholes.  This has been in the works for awhile now.

You might be surprised as to how many "smart people" aren't so smart. but we will see. The PAC still has Cal-Oregon-Utah-Washington and State-Beavis Arizona and State Utah- Stanford and Colorado. Combined thats still a bunch of Fans

I ask My Duck buddies--Do you really want to play the Penn St-Michi-Iowa-Ohio States every game? Sorry but IMO we wont stand a chance on a weekly basis. Oregon and Washington will end up as bottom feeders, of course the Fuskies will get there sooner.

• Applause 1

On 7/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I ask My Duck buddies--Do you really want to play the Penn St-Michi-Iowa-Ohio States every game? Sorry but IMO we wont stand a chance on a weekly basis. Oregon and Washington will end up as bottom feeders, of course the Fuskies will get there sooner.

Oregon got my respect as a team because they were not afraid to face the likes of these programs.  I get, early on, Oregon played teams like these for the "pay day".  But Brooks, Bellotti and Kelly laid the foundation to succeed by playing up to their opponents.  To me, that is the Oregon Way.

The phrase, "iron sharpens iron" means something.  Everyday, you have to prove yourself, if not to the competition then to your past, to be better.

• Thumbs Up 1

So what if we end up not being able to play these teams and by that I mean what if we arent invited to one of these super conferences? 

Jon Canzano is a champion for the little guy. He seems to be most interested in talking about anything remotely positive Oregon State does, non-mainstream college sports, and baseball. Every year on his radio/TV show he has his interns conduct a survey on the most popular sports in Portland Metro and in Oregon in general, and every year it is always the same: Oregon Football is #1 by a mile, the Blazers are #2, and then there is a gigantic drop off. Jon invariably sighs and rolls his eyes, and says "Well folks, that's not what this show is all about, I'm here for (insert something about a team or person overcoming adversity)...."

Canzano doesn't want to write about the Ducks hypothetically going to the Big 10. He wants Oregon to be more blue collar, to earn it the hard way. He's not a friend of the Ducks.

Edited by 2002duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2022 at 11:14 AM, EzDucksIt said:

Oregon got my respect as a team because they were not afraid to face the likes of these programs.  I get, early on, Oregon played teams like these for the "pay day".  But Brooks, Bellotti and Kelly laid the foundation to succeed by playing up to their opponents.  To me, that is the Oregon Way.

The phrase, "iron sharpens iron" means something.  Everyday, you have to prove yourself, if not to the competition then to your past, to be better.

True to a point but--Football is a brutal sport-BRUTAL. I would love to see the Ducks go into a NCG without lots of injuries. One of the reasons that SEC teams win the NCG is DEPTH which west coast teams lack for the most part. Dont take my word for it look at the depth that LSU-Ga-Alabama have

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

So what if we end up not being able to play these teams and by that I mean what if we arent invited to one of these super conferences? 

Which is why the 10 University Presidents and George Kliavkoff need to have multiple plans and be constantly evaluating/reevaluating those plans.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2022 at 11:39 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I would love to see the Ducks go into a NCG without lots of injuries.

Without USC and UCLA the Ducks will have to go undefeated to even be considered for a Playoff spot.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, ICamel said:

Which is why the 10 University Presidents and George Kliavkoff need to have multiple plans and be constantly evaluating/reevaluating those plans.

They can start by Strengthening the PAC!! 

On 7/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, 2002duck said:

Without USC and UCLA the Ducks will have to go undefeated to even be considered for a Playoff spot.

And that a lot better and more possible than playing in the BIG

• Applause 1

On 7/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, 2002duck said:

Cincinnati got in with a single notable victory.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK, not sure if I am entering a bout of hypomania over the last few days but I’m feeling it all the same!!!

Crazy (maybe not so crazy) idea: PK should buy Oregon (and maybe UW’s) way into the B1G by promising them $40MM/year under the new deal or maybe some huge franchise fee

This is how pro sports works.  And I guarantee the B1G will think long and hard about it.  

The Ducks *have* to be part of one of these two huge conferences.  They have the resources to compete.  They have the brand needed to compete. And PK has what these people ultimately are about: gobs of money 

They just need to be on the inside when the ACC unlocks 

I’m not being facetious here. 

• Let’s hope! 1

Give credit where credit is due.  Oregon started by taking on the Blue Bloods.  They did not just take the money and settle for being the punching bags.  When given the chance to elevate the program, they sought out games against the best and still do.

Using the elite competition to elevate the football program put the Oregon brand in front of many future fans and recruits eyes.  It showed that Oregon was unafraid of higher rated competition.  Hard work and a commitment to succeed made anything possible.  Phil Knight and Nike embody this same belief.

IMHO, Phil Knight and Nike are all about taking on the competition.  The bigger the better, free advertising when you win.  Watching that Swoosh, in any sport is a win for all, especially Oregon.  Stand Above the Competition.

On 7/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, CalBear95 said:

Crazy (maybe not so crazy) idea: PK should buy Oregon (and maybe UW’s) way into the B1G by promising them $40MM/year under the new deal or maybe some huge franchise fee

I was thinking that Oregon (not sure UW would do it) should tell the Big 10 members that they will accept a much smaller payout for the first two, three, or four years that they are in the conference. We'd be paid maybe 25% less than the likes of Rutgers and Maryland. That's completely acceptable to me, and might appease Rutgers and UM as they're the ones who might vote against us getting in. I wouldn't suggest that Oregon promise paying a "franchise few", let alone a $40M one. It looks weak and pathetic. You don't want beggars in your conference, it's embarrassing.  

If what @Charles Fischer just posted is accurate it may be moot. 

my uber point was, if they think you are dilutive then pay the delta.  If they think that’s true over the course of the deal, don’t get hung up on pride.  The NPV of that money is well worth it considering playing for some period of time in the G League and what value that actually delivers 

I’m not saying go begging.  Just make it hard to be left out.  

On 7/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, CalBear95 said:

Just make it hard to be left out.  

Well, to me not going to the Big 10 is not an option. If it comes to it, and it takes $40M upfront to get in then I guess we'd just have to do it. I'd just rather defer or forgo $40M in TV revenue payments than pay an upfront fee. The media and the public would probably cause a stink if teams are "buying their way in" or if conferences are "playing God and taking advantage of schools". Taking $40M less in TV money sounds less scary.