NJDuck

Canzano: Mailbag Deals With Pac-12's Emerging Options, Narnia, and Why the Blazers are Stalling

Question and Answer segment:

Interesting that Boise outperforms all other Mountain West schools when it comes to viewership.  Which comes to the question, just because a school is in a high market media area does not mean they get better viewership than a school that's not.

Comes to mind, our Beloved Ducks and the following fan base and nationwide viewership.  Yes, locally we are consider in a smaller media market, but we out perform other schools in bigger markets.

Edited by NJDuck

NJDuck thanks for posting the JC Mailbag article. Appreciate all the OBD Forum team members for digging out and sharing these articles.

I have read the article a few times and cant seem to get past the Q & A about possible PAC expansion. This is going to be a personal rant so feel free to ignore this. I just need to get this off my chest.

Media partners want teams that bring viewership. Boast alot of TV's and they are interested and willing to pay. Based on that criteria then inviting Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston and SDSU are no brainers. Dallas, Houston and San Diego more than replace the loss of 5.5 million TV sets in SoCal. But is that the true criteria?

Is Fox just interested in the LA consumer?  Are LA consumers preferable to Texas consumers? Or are they just out for revenge against espn for infringing on their media rights with the BIG 12? Or both?

Do these networks even care about the schools, the athletes, the century old rivalries or any sports beyond football and BB? Do they care that they have caused irreperable damage to 2 Power 5 conferences?. Leaving or forcing 20 plus schools to take the deals they offer for less money.... Wonder when the lawyers start popping up.

Obviously this is just my rant on a slow day and i apologize. But I am bothered that potentially Texas Tech, OK State, K State, Kansas, Iowa State, Wash. State, Oregon State and others get kicked to the curb. Simply because they lack sufficient TV sets. That' BS........

4 schools, 2 networks and 2 networks actively working to hurt others. Forcing rivalries to abandon decades old contests. Destroying the goose that laid the golden egg. You fall in the POS category from my POV......

The have nots helped forge the mega profit center that is college football. There would be no haves without those have nots. For espn to vacate or devalue, on purpose, these schools that they profited from for almost 4 decades is inexcusable. Inexcusable......

These have nots helped you to be what you have become. What a way to treat your partners...... the world wide leader of sports as long as you make me a profit. How much money did ESPN make when game day came to Pullman to cover a have not (WSU ) take on and defeat the juggernaut that is Oregon?

And Fox you were a fledgling in college regional sports. The PAC provided quality regional games as did the BIG 12. Where is your loyalty?

Sorry OBDF....the more i see and read these articles and see the angst and hurt spreading across this great country, well it all boils down to just a few culprits.

2 conferences

2 networks

4 teams

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 2

Amen Duck-Brother.  The lives being disrupted, the opportunities lost from the inevitable cuts in sports--it is disgusting.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well said. I can't help but think that creating two conferences with power names will create mediocre records. Yes, they will still be awesome, but eventually, USC, UM, tOSU, and the likes will leave a season being 10-2 champs more times than not. 

The beauty of the sport is that a UCF can rise up and go undefeated and catch lightening In a bottle. But, will the brand of CFB be irreparably damaged if only two conferences are the only ones with a shot? The opportunity missed here is that conference championships should be an automatic qualifier. Every school should be able to catch lightening in a bottle. David vs Goliath. It is whats 'Right' about CFB. Now its becoming just top tier. This is what I love about CFB. Not quality teams with NFL laden squads, but Boise State getting up for an Oregon team or Alabama for that matter.

Thats whats 'Right' about CFB. Sadly, this kind of FB is being squeezed out. Just sad.

• Salute 1

I believe The thinking of the networks is not viewers of a particular game, it's the potential viewers. That's how they sell advertising. Advertising costs are dependent on the potential viewers, thus the bigger markets trump all.

Every business has to be growing to stay alive. How do the networks do that. By what we have seen happen. It's called consolidation and/or specialization.

The Midwest has far more population than OR, WA, ID, UT, and AR. Thus they get the LA market to consolidate to the B1G.

Also as we have noted in many posts about recruiting footprint the B1G just opened up one of the largest for their schools. I don't like it any more than the rest of u, but facts are facts.

It's been pointed out that our previous commissioner has some responsibility as well as the PAC presidents, but that's the past and nothing can be done about it. We can just start today and position ourselves as best we can.

The assets of our national brand and Nike with Phil Knight are helping us to get somewhere that's better than most of the other schools with similar population disadvantages. We will just have to let it play out and hope for the best.

On 7/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The have nots helped forge the mega profit center that is college football. There would be no haves without those have nots. For espn to vacate or devalue, on purpose, these schools that they profited from for almost 4 decades is inexcusable. Inexcusable......

I’m no lawyer, but it may be time for the FTC to review the traditional relationships of trust built over time between tv media and CFB’s cultural and financial investment by schools and fan bases in those  relationship to see if any antitrust laws may apply as they might pertain to the FCC’s obligation to monitor antitrust activity by media corporations seeking to alter and monopolize markets previously built on these relationships.

The move towards two mega conferences that affects the financial and cultural solvency of these long standing relationships between the private and public sectors could be interpreted as a violation by both Fox and ESPN as an attempt to restrain regional competition in their effort to acquire a monopoly  that undercuts that well established relationship of trust (and financial solvency) between the sectors.

Putting teeth in the FCC’s regulatory authority over attempts by Fox and ESPN to alter and monopolize this previously established relationship of trust might be the only way to create a limitation on the corrosive effect of tv media dollars.

I know this is likely all hot air, but there has got to be some way of protecting something we all highly value from predators like Fox and ESPN who could care less. And without them, there is no poaching by B1G or the SEC.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Washington Waddler, IMHO fox and espn may very well be manipulating the outcome they want. Those networks claim its about eyeballs.

Its the eyeballs that they personally want, nothing more. Fox and espn both had the LA Metroplex already locked up thru the PAC. At way less money than Fox will be paying the BIG.

Let that settle in for a moment......

Destroy the PAC and the BIG12 and you eliminate a high priced bidding war with other networks. Pay 4 schools big money to move to greedy conferences for bigger paydays to create what you want.

You get ut, ou, usuc and uclasuc to switch to conferences that they have nothing in common with for bigger paydays. Taking the biggest names out of 2 conferences and then paying less for the scrap heaps left behind. Destroying the big game  rivalries in the process.

Wait, i was wrong. espn stills has the red river rivalry. Just in the conference they want. This way they now get ut/bama, ut/georgia, ou/florida. Big time, prime time conference games. I resign to the fact that this is simply business. fox gets usuc/tosu, usuc/penn state and honestly uclasuc doesnt bring .....to anything.  Playing Oregon, WA and Utah yes. Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, not really.

So its simply preferred eyeballs. Eyeballs with primetime matchups.

So where do the PAC and BIG go from here. For what its worth lets look at the numbers and see if we can create numbers. OBDF members you can decide if their are primetime match ups.

And no school gets left behind. Not one single school gets left out 

The LA metroplex is #2 and has 13,214,799 people. Thats a big number. So lets replace those numbers. Heres what could happen potentially with expansion/mergers.

#4 - Dallas/Fort Worth 7,573,136

SMU, Baylor, TCU

#5 - Houston/Woodlands Sugarland

Houston (7,066,141)

If you combine #35 (1,990,660)

San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara

with #12 (4,732,803)

you have #6 metroplex

(Stanford, Cal, San Jose State

#17 - San Diego/Chula Vista/Carlsbad (3,238,330)

Did you know the fastesr growing California Metro Plex is the Central Valley (7,200,000) Buts lets just stick with the San Joquim Valley (3,693,698) Fresno State

The remaining PAC members have the following metroplex positions and numbers

#10 Phoenix (4,948,203)

#12 San Fran/Oakland/Berkeley (4,731,803)

#15  Seattle/Tacoma (3,979,845)

#19 Denver/Lakewood (2,967,239)

#25 Portland/Vancouver (2,492,412)

#47 Salt Lake City (1,265,108)

Those metroplexes total 40,253,477

people. This number does not include any schools not listed or the expansion schools coming to the BIG 12. Think Ohio and Florida.That number approaches 50 million people or more..... All the current and future conference members matter, just not to fox/espn.

espn and fox is it the numbers of eyeballs or the specific number of eyeballs you want in order to control primetime matchups?

PAC and BIG 12 put any petty differences aside and create your own monster. Merge and create one conference with 2 divisions. Play your own Championship game in Las Vegas or Dallas. Then play a championship game with the ACC. That will generate a media bid for that game. Think money.......Then send 2 or 3 teams to CFP. Think more money. Dont let espn dictate to you and take pitty money.

PAC, BIG 12 and ACC put your hurt feeling, bruised egos and differences aside. Fight back. Merge in some fashion so you can all get out of exit fees. Create 2 conferences with 4 divisions. Make the networks pay. They dont really want Clemson/Oregon, FSU/Utah, ASU/UNC. Unless they get u cheap.

As you lay your head on your cushy presidents pillow tonight realize that fox and espn devalued you to a have not situation.  They want you on the cheap. Those POS networks want a Texas/Missouri game in Dallas to have more value than Oregon/Baylor or Utah/Houston game. Think about it. SEC/BIG declared war and espn/fox are funding this war.

Fight back. Create and innovate to establish what cant be ignored. Sorry again for this rant. But numbers dont lie. Just fox and espn lie about what numbers matter.

Recognize your value in numbers. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Amen Duck-Brother, and I'll bet a ton of Big-12 fans would agree with this two.  The "Big-Pac!"

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck