McDuck

Canzano Media Day Tweets

Live updates from the Pac-12 media day event.  Kliavkoff started off strong.  Canzano is updating the opening statement every few minutes.  Keep checking.

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

This stuff gives me a headache. 

The pursuit of TV revenue is definitely changing the landscape of collegiate sports.

The PAC 12 is paying the price of poor leadership within the Conference. Highly educated chancellors/presidents hired a commissioner that lined his pockets with gold, and ultimately made such poor business decisions that the conference may not survive. In the business sense of things, this conference deserved so much better. 

Shameful. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like Kliavkoff is blaming the players to me.  The conference are making decisions based on the elephant in the room: players.

What I'm seeing is a direct and immediate response to the fact players want to be treated like pros.  I realize this is preaching to the choir, but it takes way more than twenty hours a week (the amount of time coaches get the players) to develop into an excellent player.

In other words, it is a full time job.  And schools used to sell a star's Jersey and pocket all the money.  Coaches get paid better than NFL coaches.  Billions of dollars are funneling through the schools.  

That being said, I was totally against NIL.  But how could I justify telling players their $100,000 over four years was just compensation?  It's not.  No one reading this wouldn't consider options - including starting  their own league with executives skilled enough to pull it off ( and someone might have).

Kids pay the recruiting services to promote their skill level.  Some families pay out of pocket to find the right fit for their kids.  In other words, schools were getting far too much benefit at a "student's" expense.  And we haven't even talked about the horrible graduation rates.  

College football is a minor league without the NFL having to pay.  And the players figured that out.  The NCAA did everything they could to stop the train from leaving the gate.  But when a football player is great enough to win Olympic medals in another short, and the institution tells him he cannot earn money in that Olympic sport (and still earn a scholarship) something is very, very wrong. 

That, by the way, was the beginning of the end of the "exploitation" in my opinion.  There is nothing just about preventing a young man seeking the best for his life by participating in two sports he loves. Or even find the means to afford the school he attends outside of basic expenses. 

Like I mentioned above, I've been against NIL.  It might never have materialized had the schools simply treated the players like people, instead of dollar bills.  Heck, they didn't even ensure the kids would be able to find avenues to succeed when they left school ( by making sure they had marketable skills when football was no longer part of their life).  And the schools have plenty of money to do something that basic. 

NIL and the Portal are a direct response to these institutions thinking only of themselves. And now, our commissioner wants to lay blame on other conferences finally addressing what they should have addressed before the turn of the century.  

I'm telling you, this conference makes me see the with every word I read.  They are not fit to lead these young men as they  ( the students) seek the best for their future in my opinion.  And I'm sure parents are paying particular attention to what's happening. 

I have a fifteen year old who fortunately isn't interested in football.  If he were, how my beloved ducks respond from here would tell me if my kid would even consider the program (because I would not present any PAC 10 school as a solid choice based on Kliavkoff's comments- he is just an extension if how the Presidents feel). 

• Yikes! 1

On 7/29/2022 at 2:06 PM, Mike West said:

Sounds like Kliavkoff is blaming the players to me.  The conference are making decisions based on the elephant in the room: players.

I didn’t get that impression. The players aren’t the problem. Right now NIL money is not coming from universities so it isn’t affecting the university’s bottom line. You can bet no one asked the USC and UCLA athletes if they wanted to move. Maybe the football players would have voted yes. The rest probably not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When Kliavkoff says this, I'm not sure how it can be thought he's blaming the players...

"When I look at what's taking place in college sports, I believe we have collectively lost sight of the student athlete."

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/29/2022 at 3:17 PM, jrw said:

When I look at what's taking place in college sports, I believe we have collectively lost sight of the student athlete."

Why does NIL exist?  Because the players sued for the right to have it.  That does not sound like the schools had their interest in mind to me.  The "students " also clamored for the portal.  Again, I do not see where the schools showed interest in the students.  

In fact, the schools and the NCAA fought tooth and nail to prevent it, as billions of dollars started funneling from TV contracts.

Forgive me if I'm skeptical, but those two as actions alone toss that quote away.  And I haven't even talked about the graduation rates.  It took years to even discuss forcing schools to put effort into the graduation rates of the "student" athletes. 

So when did concern for student athletes become a focus exactly?