DazeNconfused

Who Wants an Immediately Eligible 4-Star 230lb Short Yardage Back Out of the Portal?

Markeese Step 6'1" and 230lbs is in the Transfer Portal. The USC recruit transferred to Nebraska and now is back in the portal and immediately eligible to play.

We have lacked a true power-short yardage back for a long time and I think we should grab this dude. 

With our big Oline it would be nice have a back who drags guys after contact down at the goal line or on 3rd and short.

Here is the link, he is 8th player down from the top. I think he's a 4th year junior.

default.png
247SPORTS.COM

2022 College Football Transfer Portal

Someone help me out here. The transfer portal page says he is immediately eligible.

Since he has transferred once then he must be a Grad Transfer? Or did the NCCA change the rules so you can transfer twice now?

Also, he wasn't in the Portal by May 1st so he shouldn't be eligible for 2022? 

Who is the Transfer rule Guru who has the answer to those questions?

Edited by DazeNconfused

If they need a big powerful short yardage back he is already on the team, Noah Sewell.  I'm skeptical of players looking for their third team in three years.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2022 at 11:50 AM, McDuck said:

If they need a big powerful short yardage back he is already on the team, Noah Sewell.  I'm skeptical of players looking for their third team in three years.

I'm from the school of thought every team needs a short yardage back. Yes, Noah would fit that role.

For as hard as Verdell ran, he could be stopped stone cold by a lineman and Dye more so. Noah is going to drag a lineman for a yard after contact.

Stepp by the way averaged 6.2 yards a carry for USC before he got hurt in 2019 and I saw him play. Kid is a load.

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 8/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Stepp by the way averaged 6.2 yards a carry for USC before he got hurt in 2019 and I saw him play. Kid is a load.

I saw that, but then he averaged under 4 yds per carry each of the next two years.  Injuries?

Here's a quick link. Looks like the NCAA is going to allow multiple transfers.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, McDuck said:

I saw that, but then he averaged under 4 yds per carry each of the next two years.  Injuries?

The USC line sucked at run blocking in 2020, they were better last year. Nebraska didn't use Stepp much, he was stuck behind the backs with breakaway burst speed. 

I'd use Stepp as the goal line and short yardage back He don't need a high yards per carry, just move the chains and cross the goal line. I might also give him a series or two if I really want to pound a team with my Oline and set a physically dominant tone. 

We just don't have a back I'm not holding my breath on 3rd and short and we haven't had a dude since Royce Freeman. 

I'd like us to have a back that on 3rd and short I feel like with his power and our Oline that if we get stopped, I got to tip my hat to the defense.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:24 PM, HawaiiDuck said:

Here's a quick link. Looks like the NCAA is going to allow multiple transfers.

Thanks for the link!

• Go Ducks! 1

Not sure we have room in the runningback room for another scholarship player. 

We have Irving and he can be a thumper. He isn't as big but he runs hard enough for it.

• Cool 1

He didn't work out at either SC or Nebraska.  Two very different situations.  I would be concerned about a player with this resume. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, DazeNconfused said:

we haven't had a dude since Royce Freeman.

Immediately following Rolls Royce we did have Cyrus Habibi-Likio who was a dude that could get the first down or into the end-zone, it's just that was the ONLY thing he was used for.  Unfortunate bc I would have loved to see him pound the rock quite a bit more...

I may be proven wrong but I believe our running back room is already filled with better backs. Sewell did run the ball in high school but not sure DL would go that route.

I remember Colt running the ball a few times, kid was a stud. To bad life went bad for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2022 at 8:56 AM, Wrathis said:

Immediately following Rolls Royce we did have Cyrus Habibi-Likio who was a dude that could get the first down or into the end-zone, it's just that was the ONLY thing he was used for.  Unfortunate bc I would have loved to see him pound the rock quite a bit more...

Your right CHL was the goal line dude and he was only 215lbs but scored a ton of goal line TD's!

I'm caught up with having a 230lb short yardage back, no disrespect to CHL.

I do