Pac10again

Georgia's Bruising Tight Ends, Oregon's Kryptonite?

Stanford and Utah continue to destroy us with elite tight ends.  I cannot remember a time we could stop them.  We have beaten them by simply outscoring them. But in a new system with young players, and no time for gelling, we will be forced to stop the future NFL tight ends at Georgia.  We will not be able to hang 40 on Georgia and simply outscore them.  This is going to be big boy football.    I watched Utah blow our defense off the field twice.  Until I see some major changes on the field, I am highly concerned.  Elite line-backers and safeties we have!!  But big boy football is won on the line.

Georgia will line up and pound, pound, pound.  We stop the run, and short passes to tight ends, we win.  If we cannot, we lose by 30.  Again, I hate the SEC, but I lived there.  Football is a religion in the south.  They think Nick Saban is coming back in the clouds, not Jesus.  Win or lose, I will be happy if I see us stop Georgia's run game.  That means we can beat Utah.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

TE's have been a nightmare, I still wake up screaming, 'Gronk!' Stopping the TE should be a priority in the defense we're thinking Oregon will have this season. The TE is a check down and big play all in one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mariø's team last year was horrible defensively.  Especially on 3rd and long. I have never seen a defense so badly out of position in my life.

I figure some of that had to do with the patchwork defense fielded due to injury. Hopefully the injuries will not be a factor this year.

If Oregons defense plays out of position v. UGA then Lanning isn't the coach we think he is. I suspect that part of the game will be fixed.

I think it is fair to say that OC Todd Monken will emphasize whatever the Oregon defense is giving him. If the Ducks  overload the box to stop the run, the TEs may have a very big day. Several will be on the field to combat a stacked box and quick completions to loosen things up should  be  quite effective. Two of those TEs (Bowers and Arik Gilbert) can also function effectively as wide receivers and have excellent ball skills downfield as well.

Lanning knows all this, as well as the fact that Monken  is a  master at scheming so as to take advantage of what the opponent is showing on defense. Those big, talented TEs are just one more weapon that will give Defensive Coordinators  fits. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2022 at 6:42 AM, Pac10again said:

Stanford and Utah continue to destroy us with elite tight ends.  I cannot remember a time we could stop them.  We have beaten them by simply outscoring them. But in a new system with young players, and no time for gelling, we will be forced to stop the future NFL tight ends at Georgia.  We will not be able to hang 40 on Georgia and simply outscore them.  This is going to be big boy football.    I watched Utah blow our defense off the field twice.  Until I see some major changes on the field, I am highly concerned.  Elite line-backers and safeties we have!!  But big boy football is won on the line.

Georgia will line up and pound, pound, pound.  We stop the run, and short passes to tight ends, we win.  If we cannot, we lose by 30.  Again, I hate the SEC, but I lived there.  Football is a religion in the south.  They think Nick Saban is coming back in the clouds, not Jesus.  Win or lose, I will be happy if I see us stop Georgia's run game.  That means we can beat Utah.  

Big boy football starts by covering guys instead of looking at the QB on pass plays.  One interception.  In the conference title game at that.  But the number of explosive plays because TEs virtually walked past linebackers was frustrating.

Our middle backers are as fast as all three of those TEs.  And if you watched George last year, even their outside linebackers closed on any pass catcher swiftly.  Why? Because nobody got behind those backers like  we saw routinely from OBD. 

And don't let me start talking about regular defensive formations inside our five yard line lining up against a goal line formation.  Five TDs attributed to that one flaw.  Utah didn't beat us, we didn't come to play and we surely gave them number advantages  a G5 team could practically exploit.

They don't do that in the SEC.  I'll tell you that right now.  Glad we have an SEC coach leading us.

• Great post! 1

On 8/19/2022 at 12:28 AM, Mike West said:

Big boy football starts by covering guys instead of looking at the QB on pass plays.  One interception.  In the conference title game at that.  But the number of explosive plays because TEs virtually walked past linebackers was frustrating.

Our middle backers are as fast as all three of those TEs.  And if you watched George last year, even their outside linebackers closed on any pass catcher swiftly.  Why? Because nobody got behind those backers like  we saw routinely from OBD. 

And don't let me start talking about regular defensive formations inside our five yard line lining up against a goal line formation.  Five TDs attributed to that one flaw.  Utah didn't beat us, we didn't come to play and we surely gave them number advantages  a G5 team could practically exploit.

They don't do that in the SEC.  I'll tell you that right now.  Glad we have an SEC coach leading us.

I am also glad we have an SEC QB starting against Georgia.  I would bet my wife's cat, and my dog, on it.  And I love my dog. 

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 6:42 AM, Pac10again said:

"They think Nick Saban is coming back in the clouds, not Jesus."

Alright... that's just darn funny. I once heard somebody say, "When Jesus returns, it won't be on Air Force One."

Many Alabama fans agree, as they are quite certain he will be returning on the Alabama football team plane and miraculously look a lot like Nick Saban.

Personally, I think they may be right.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, Desert Duck said:

Alright... that's just darn funny. I once heard somebody say, "When Jesus returns, it won't be on Air Force One."

Many Alabama fans agree, as they are quite certain he will be returning on the Alabama football team plane and miraculously look a lot like Nick Saban.

Personally, I think they may be right.

I think Nick Satan plays for the other side 

Anything's possible. We've certainly been warned that there are a lot of wolves among us, hiding within the flock.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:41 PM, Desert Duck said:

Anything's possible. We've certainly been warned that there are a lot of wolves among us, hiding within the flock.

I think Mario was a Saban plant.  It's the only explanation that makes sense. 

• Haha 2