FishDuck Article

Nasty Truth: Oregon No Longer Quarterback U, But Needs To Be

We judge new head coaches by first-year wins and recruiting. But Duck fans need one more metric for Dan Lanning: show us your quarterbacks. Here’s hoping that Bo Nix has a Heisman season, but what we really want to see is what the coaches make of Ty Thompson and Jay Butterfield. For three decades ending with Marcus Mariota in 2014, ...

FISHDUCK.COM

We judge new head coaches by first-year wins and recruiting. But Duck fans need one more metric for Dan Lanning: show us your...
  • Great post! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

OUCH! That was nasty.

Going farther back into the history of Ducks football there were other great QB's; Norm Van Brocklin, Bob Berry, Dan Fouts were some of them.

At least some of the situation the writer describes is related to coaching turnover and the brief tenure of head coaches and offensive coordinators. The quarterbacks on Oregon's roster either did not develop each year, transferred out, or the Ducks brought in a graduate transfer interrupting transition.

One can now only speculate on the future without game history with the new coaches. I'm pretty sure that Coach Lanning will expect excellence from QB's, and oversee their development, knowing that excellence from the QB's is requisite to winning football. 

Coach Dillingham's track record includes high powered offenses triggered with outstanding QB play. I believe in our coache's abilities to develop quarterbacks.

Yes, the Ducks have been through a rough patch, but it should soon be in the rearview mirror.

Edited by Notalot
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon just landed, arguably, the #1 QB recruit in the 23 class. JH wasn't that long ago. MM won the Heisman, again, not that long ago. There is two 5* and a high 4* on the roster now.

Poor coaching for 4 years doesn't mean Oregon hasn't recruited top talent at the position. Even AB is showing he has some chops now that he got away from Mariø.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Oregon made qb's look better than they were, in the past. Our recent past we made qb's look worse than they were.

One has to look at Joey Harrington, selected third overall and floundered in the NFL. I suppose the Lions had a part in his demise, but he didn't turn into an elite NFL qb after his storied college career.

Anthony Brown is our recent history, as you stated. A guy who doesn't get drafted, because he looked so terrible at Oregon, is lighting it up in Baltimore. We wanted him benched, turns out because the coaches made him look so lousy.

Qb's look good because they have confidence they can win it all. Masoli came to the program with just that attitude, and skill level.

I have a feeling others have come with the same attitude, but it has been destroyed, not developed. Hopefully this staff can help our two young guys recover some of their mojo. If not it will be a tough year and then onto Moore.

Right now it is qb recovery time, with Nix and the others. Can Dilly rehab both the abilities and confidence of these three qb's who have floundered? 

• Go Ducks! 2

Ouch!  The truth hurts!  Yet, it was only the last 4 years that the shackles were put on the offensive coordinators. 

Even (the snake) recognized the talent of Herbert.  49 points a game until his injury.

Thank you Miami boosters for ending our misery!  I agree with Notalot, those times are in the rearview mirror.  Quarterback U is returning!

Thanks for the great article Drex!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Loved the article, Drex. Football at Autzen was so exciting when we were Quarterback U. It makes me sick to think of the recent wasted talent with Herbert and Brown after seeing their growth in the NFL I guess you could put in Shough and Ashford in here too. 

Lanning's staff must have been shocked when they got here to find how raw our two highly recruited QB's still are. I think we will see tremendous growth with our QB's through proper coaching this year.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice article Drex. I think the issues wasn't so much what Ty or Butters could be given playing time to Mario and his staff. I think it was for the system they ran: - a QB with experience that they felt would make the least mistakes trumped all. Right now, mattered-not ceiling in a QB.

It wasn't a scheme that a QB was going to be a star in. We didn't really attack and stretch the field with deep balls. We didn't really spread the field out all the time. Often, we had a tight bunch formation that we could RPO out of, and when we did pass it was a 3-yard cross, a five-yard patten with a 10-yard out. When we did run a play with a deeper route it was an anomaly.

Mario's scheme saw us run into 8 men in the box, and it let defenses play down-hill as they knew we weren't going over the top. So, if your scheme is so bad any QB isn't going to light it up, then you might as well play the Vet QB. 

Mario didn't want a star QB for his system- he wanted a game manager to run his offense. Mario didn't need big-time throws made.

I'm just glad we don't have to watch Ty or Butters play in that scheme. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Whew! 1
  • Great post! 1

And we use to be the school which used track speed to stretch the field. I love hearing we figured out who the fastest TE was. It is now time to create matchup nightmares based on our speed, again.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really good points Drex, and I did not realize how bad it had become when compared to the past.  Great article!

That top photo of AJ Feeley, Chris Petersen and Joey Harrington is one of the best in the entire FishDuck Photo Archive.  How cool is that photo?

And when Akili Smith was a senior?  He had AJ and Joey backing him up!  Wow what a QB group...

AJ Feeley, Chris Petersen and Joey Harrington_John Giustina.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks to you all. This is such a great forum! I hadn't seen the Devon Allen TD through to his end zone gesture--the hurdle hop? Thanks fo the vid. If any sport tops football for me, it's Oregon track. I've loved that kid for many years. Someone needs to fix the false start ridiculosity that disqualified him from the world meet. Don't care what the computer/blocks system decided. The video replay showed not one iota of movement in the body or feet -- so chalk it up to computer error and go again.

Instead, it became the worst possible AI moment: Don't care what the humans saw. Hal has ruled.

Devon was hosed, which means we were all hosed. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/23/2022 at 8:43 AM, Drex Heikes said:

Thanks to you all. This is such a great forum! I hadn't seen the Devon Allen TD through to his end zone gesture--the hurdle hop? Thanks fo the vid. If any sport tops football for me, it's Oregon track. I've loved that kid for many years. Someone needs to fix the false start ridiculosity that disqualified him from the world meet. Don't care what the computer/blocks system decided. The video replay showed not one iota of movement in the body or feet -- so chalk it up to computer error and go again.

Instead, it became the worst possible AI moment: Don't care what the humans saw. Hal has ruled.

Devon was hosed, which means we were all hosed. 

He took off too soon 'after' the gun went off, what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A travesty, but Devon is moving on and he is going to be extremely successful. The same can be said for the Oregon Football Program if they renew QBU, along with using the track speed which helped make it all possible.