FishDuck Article

Kenny Dillingham and the Explosive Down-G Concept

With the Oregon Ducks taking on the Bulldogs of Georgia in just a mere nine days, fans wait with bated breath to witness the unveiling of Coach Kenny Dillingham’s offense. For as excited as people are to see an expanded passing game, the rushing attack looks to take the explosive nature of past Ducks schemes and doubles-down. This new offense ...

FISHDUCK.COM

With the Oregon Ducks taking on the Bulldogs of Georgia in just a mere nine days, fans wait with bated breath to witness the unveiling of Coach...

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I like it, tip of the iceberg, or tip of the sword of offensive weapons we will see skewer the opposing defenses this year. It is definitely time to put down the.sledgehammer as an offensive weapon. I look forward to our offense taking flight again.

• Applause 1

This is a perfect analysis article; short, easy to read as we easily learn more Oregon football.  Welcome back to Coach Boles, as he and I began our alternating analysis articles on Thursdays as I had the first one about Bradyn Swinson, and now Coach Boles is showing us a play in the Dillingham offense to be looking out for.

I will have an analysis next Thursday about what to watch for with this new defense, as Coach Boles and I will be having a Thursday analysis every week for the next six months!

Learn more Oregon football!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Another great article from you, Coach.  I really enjoy the clarity of your analyses.  You make it so we football nuanced-challenged folks can easily understand the techniques and justifications for play design.  Many thanks.

Question...would the Down-G be used only against this DL gap alignment?

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the RB jab step like on a counter. UGA has those new inside linebackers, this play will hold them for an instant with the jab step. Then our center and guard get out on the LB's. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 8:41 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I like the RB jab step like on a counter. UGA has those new inside linebackers, this play will hold them for an instant with the jab step. Then our center and guard get out on the LB's. 

To me, the RB steps resembled the newer Inside Zone Read movement with the RB starting on the side and taking a step over versus a counter-like move.  But we'll have fun keeping an eye out for that...

Mr. FishDuck

I agree with you and could have written my post better.

What I like is how the RB gets his shoulders turned away from the play side for an instant as he comes to the mesh point. 

Linebackers can see them shoulders turned and will react. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1

Defender #2 DJ Johnson defeats TE block by #89 Tyler Nanney.  He could have had a shot at the RB but had turned his shoulders too much and was late.

Spring game with divided teams!  I'm sure coaching points will be addressed and starting TE's will do better.

Lots of plays can be developed off this look.  Can't wait for Dillingham's explosive offense to run up and down the field!

Great read. Thank you!

I especially like the animated diagram followed by a video showing the diagram in action.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:07 AM, Mudslide said:

Another great article from you, Coach.  I really enjoy the clarity of your analyses.  You make it so we football nuanced-challenged folks can easily understand the techniques and justifications for play design.  Many thanks.

Question...would the Down-G be used only against this DL gap alignment?

It can actually be run against a variety of fronts. For instance, another way it’s run is when the DE is wider than the TE. In that case the TE gets to the second level and the pulling guard kicks the end out.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1