Charles Fischer

Who Starts? Newbies or Vets at Wide Receiver?

Franklin/Thornton, or Cota/Chapman?

I can make a strong case for both groups, but my gut says “newbies.”  The vets come in for third and long because Cota makes the tough catch, and Chapman is fricken 6’6”!

But it is the young-guns I want stretching the field…but talk me out of it?

Caleb Chapman at A&M

Texas A&M WR Caleb Chapman Out for Season - Good Bull Hunting

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

This also relates to your other "secrecy" post.

I have no idea. Practices are closed, media is out. No idea who the players even are.

I guess it's what they do now?

But comm'on man!

Do you really think the defending Champs, from the SEC, playing on the home turf, are really concerned who Oregons safety or db is going to be?

It's all just a bit much 

On 8/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, shawnski said:

Do you really think the defending Champs, from the SEC, playing on the home turf, are really concerned who Oregon's safety or db's are going to be?

Yep.  I've spent quite a few hours prepping on the Georgia defense, and frankly have a long ways to go yet.  There has been quite a transition on defense the last couple of years, and Smart began a change on the Georgia defense from lining up in reference to the boundary/field versus the formation strength.

In fact the Mint defense at Georgia was a change from how Alabama does it, although the 'Tide made the change as well.  Do you line up the Star position toward the passing strength, or to all the space of the field that can be exploited? It does make a difference in how offenses can attack defenses by understanding their alignment calls.

But with all of that....not announcing starting lineups going into the first game of the year is....

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

IMO Thornton & Franklin start on the outside.   Hutson probably inside with McGee getting substantial playing time.  Cota coming in on 3rd downs, short yardage, or special circumstances.   Not sure if Chapman, Crocker, or Kasper rotates with Franklin.  

Guess we will find out next Saturday!  🙂 

I hope they have packages where all four are on the field at the same time. Put seven in the backfield and give defensive coordinators fits. Rotation rotation rotation, that's my mantra for this season. Lot of players to make lots of plays.

Having experience and young talent available at receiver is a huge benefit to this team. The experienced guys will lead by example in practice, on the field, and in the locker room. The young talent will learn from them and be better for having solid examples to help guide them.

I am excited to see the young guys get their opportunity to shine. However, you need the guys on the field that both catch and block. Experience helps win tough games, and the first game is a tough as it gets. 

Thornton and Franklin are are more dangerous than Cota and Chapman, but they’re all going to get plenty of reps. I’m hearing Kasper is doing well and would like to see him get some reps. Hutson and McGee should see equal time.

The players the most ready, able and available.

On 8/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, shawnski said:

But comm'on man!

Do you really think the defending Champs, from the SEC, playing on the home turf, are really concerned who Oregons safety or db is going to be?

Yes.  Or at least the DC and his assistants do.  They've got film on all of them and it's always nice to know who's lining up across from you. If Georgia isn't concerned every game, they will not be challenging for another title.

• Thumbs Up 2