FishDuck Article

Green Blitzes: Lanning Begins the New Mint Defense at Oregon

My FishDuck Friends, this is the beginning of a new era for the Oregon defense and for the two FishDuck websites.  This new defense is going to be gradually explained over time as we show how it functions, stops the run, blitzes, player techniques...all of it over time.  Today is the first foundation article about what to begin to look for on Saturday, with a surprise reference to Oregon's past. 

Let's learn more Oregon Football!

FISHDUCK.COM

For the first time in nearly a decade–watching the defense at Oregon is going to be highly entertaining again due to the new Mint defense...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Charles said, "this new Mint defense capitalizes upon deception and unpredictability for its success in holding down scoring and creating turnovers."

It's going to be exciting to see the havoc created by out-thinking opponents with pressure, mistakes, and turnovers.  No more successful third and 19 being converted by an opponent!

I love giving recognition to Coach Aliotti!  Coach Nick is an Oregon legend.  IMHO, with him as head coach and Helfrich as Offensive Coordinator, Oregon wouldn't have experienced the decline when Chip Kelly left.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great Article Charles!

The personnel on the Ducks defense and Dan Lanning as our new coach is a HUGE story this year!

Lanning has all the Dudes he needs to unleash his scheme and it will be interesting to see how he uses his personnel. 

For instance, will Lanning keep All-American Sewell in on a 3rd and 15 to play pass coverage? Or will he bring in Bassa the converted safety who is better in running with RBs and TE's in pass coverage? Can you take Sewell of the field on 3rd and 15 or is that insane? 

Will Lanning put the 6'3" Bridges with his seven-foot wingspan at Star to take on Georgia's All-American TE Brock Bowers in one-on-one coverage? 

There is going to be so many new things Lanning does with all the talent he has... Lanning is a thinker, and his options aren't limited by his personnel, they are actually wide open.

On 9/1/2022 at 7:44 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Lanning has all the Dudes he needs to unleash his scheme

He really does, as Sewell is ideal at Mac, and the Money position was made for Flowe and Bassa.  The size/talent of DJ Johnson and Brandon Dorlus are perfect for the new 4i technique, so yes...it is not like we have to go out and recruit the talent needed for the defense.  We're ready!

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, Charles Fischer said:

it is not like we have to go out and recruit the talent needed for the defense.  

No, he didn't. But the Portal moves of Gonzo, Taki, Riley and Rogers just made Lanning's poker had that much stronger.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In an article in this mornings Eugene Register-Guard, it reports that Justin Flowe was at 246 pounds last year in the only game he played where he had 14 tackles, cost a fumble, and was the Pac 12 defensive player and freshman player of the week. Quite the start! 

But now they report him at 220 pounds, and this really fits with the lighter faster profile that Lanny wants for his mint defense. He should really be able to cover sideline to sideline now!

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/1/2022 at 9:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

In an article in this mornings Eugene Register-Guard, it reports that Justin Flowe was at 246 pounds last year in the only game he played where he had 14 tackles, cost a fumble, and was the Pac 12 defensive player and freshman player of the week. Quite the start! 

But now they report him at 220 pounds, and this really fits with the lighter faster profile that Lanny wants for his mint defense. He should really be able to cover sideline to sideline now!

I feel Cristobal really just wanted bigger players from the strength and conditioning program and not really faster and stronger players. 

Oregon during the Kelly-Helfrich years had issues getting out muscled but they always had the speed. 

In the Cristobal era they had the muscle but couldn't always seem to leverage it to their advantage as they could be beat with speed. Or often just be too predictable and counted because the opposing team just knew what to do to beat them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

My FishDuck Friends, this is the beginning of a new era for the Oregon defense and for the two FishDuck websites.  This new defense is going to be gradually explained over time as we show how it functions, stops the run, blitzes, player techniques...all of it over time.  Today is the first foundation article about what to begin to look for on Saturday, with a surprise reference to Oregon's past. 

Let's learn more Oregon Football!

FISHDUCK.COM

For the first time in nearly a decade–watching the defense at Oregon is going to be highly entertaining again due to the new Mint defense...

Just what we've been waiting for.  Sat around the campfire last night discussing the upcoming game with friends and THIS is what I told them I come to FishDuck for more than anything else: in-depth football analysis and explanations of how things are meant to work.  Can't wait!  

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

A well-done, as opposed to medium-rare article Mr. FishDuck. Thank you.

I will be watching on Saturday, and if things go well enough for the Ducks, I might even be pursuaded to partake in a "Mint" Julep.

Go Ducks!!!

Edited by Notalot
  • Haha 1

I guess my concern about the so-called 'Mint Defense' of Lanning's is: isn't Georgia well acquainted with it and expecting it - being that he (Lanning) is the inventor of it?  Won't the Bulldog offense know what to expect and be fully prepared for it - introducing their own new wrinkles to defeat it?  

Or, is it so full of deception that they themselves will be unable to counter it?  I guess we'll see in about two more days.

At -17.5, the oddsmakers are 'betting' Kirby Smart will be able to out-smart it (no pun intended).

On 9/1/2022 at 12:35 PM, Mic said:

isn't Georgia well acquainted with it and expecting it - being that he (Lanning) is the inventor of it?  

Actually it originally comes from Kirby Smart, and Lanning embraced and learned it.  And again--the objective of this series is to explain the defense and I will pull from the entire season, and it is not just about this game.

For ages...football teams faced each other with the same offenses and defenses...such as the "I" on offense with a 4-3 on defense, and the Spread versus the 4-2-5, and tons of other examples.  Every offense and defense works, but it depends upon the right talent to implement it and the right coaching.

So yes...they both know what each is doing, but that has happened with coaches for a long time.  They may know what each is doing, but not when and that is the key, IMHO.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/1/2022 at 1:34 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So yes...they both know what each is doing, but that has happened with coaches for a long time.  They may know what each is doing, but not when and that is the key, IMHO.

It'd be foolish not to expect DL to have TL inserting wrinkles himself in the Duck defense, I guess.  

The real unknown here is probably what the Oregon Offense under Dillingham is going to look like.  Perhaps Kirby has been pouring over the Auburn tapes (when Bo was a Frosh) - and there might be another reason no Oregon QB has yet been announced. 7-3 Bo starts.  But Lanning's making Kirby guess.