BigDucksFan

Oregon Gets Snubbed by Rivals

Did Oregon just get snubbed by "Rivals" on the "The top 10  coaching jobs in college football"  from the same link ??

With all the talk of:
the culture established here at Oregon,
the fantastic facilities,
the national recognition that Oregon has,
the winning history Oregon has,
and then not put us on the top 10 list of the best coaching jobs in college football, - - - whats going on here ??

(from n.rivals.com)  
The top 10 coaching jobs in college football 
1. Alabama This should not even be a debate as Nick Saban has the Alabama program as close to an NFL franchise as possible with culture, recruiting and player development off the charts.
2. Ohio State The way the Buckeyes are able to recruit and how they simply dominate the Big Ten makes this one of the best jobs in all of sports.
3. Clemson Clemson may not have the prestige or money of some programs behind it, but can you name a better program in the Southeast without Saban?
4. Texas Yes, this is still very much a premium job with great recruiting advantages, prestige and endless money. It’s amazing that someone hasn't been able to figure out how to win there recently.
5. USC This may be an unpopular choice, but the recruiting landscape is still amazing, the city has proven to get behind a winner and big-name coaches will always be interested.
6. Georgia UGA has a great recruiting territory and everything needed to win a national title as far as athletic support. It’s amazing it’s been since 1980, honestly.
7. LSU No one has a better recruiting advantage than LSU. If it weren’t for Alabama, the Tigers would be much higher on this list.
8. Oklahoma The Big 12 is still the Sooners to own, and if they had a better crop of in-state players they’d be higher. But this is a job where you can win a natty.
9. Florida With FSU in the dumpster and Miami losing a bit of its luster with years of mediocre play, the Gators are still No. 1 in Florida and that makes it an attractive program.
10. Texas A&M A surprise on this list? Perhaps, because the Aggies haven’t won anything like the others, but being the SEC team in Texas is a huge deal.

Yep, we are going to disagree with this list, no doubt.  Clemson?  Once Dabo leaves--it goes back into the Dumpster.  That is the coach, not the program or school, IMHO.  USC is already known as a coach's graveyard because of all the factors and the Ducks are not making it easier.

TAMU?  Big fan base, yes...but Penn State's is bigger.  It is subjective--sure.

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon has a lot going for it... namely Knight money and LOTS of it.

but in terms of recruiting... all those schools have it MUCH easier than Oregon. Remember.. Cristobal just makes it look easy but he is out working everyone to get Oregon a top 10 recruiting class.

On top of all that... I would say Oregon fans have the same expectations for our head coach as any of those programs. While we want a National Championship that is not our base expectation... our expectation is being in the conversation and we will be patient but at some point the coaches will have to deliver or it will be a very angry fan base.

Right now we are content with conference championships, top 10 recruiting classes, and the dream of what can be tomorrow...

Just now, FishIceCream said:

At the risk of being snarky -

Don't try to confuse me with facts, doggone it!  😉

Mr. FishDuck

Sorry - I was trying to edit this to put on a larger image!

At the risk of being snarky - many coaches might look at the salary when choosing their top 10. Here is something I found from 2020, and I don't notice Oregon on that list.

Anyway - coaching salaries!

salary.png

1 hour ago, FishIceCream said:

Sorry - I was trying to edit this to put on a larger image!

At the risk of being snarky - many coaches might look at the salary when choosing their top 10. Here is something I found from 2020, and I don't notice Oregon on that list.

Anyway - coaching salaries!

salary.png

It might have worked better if you just made a link to the place. What you inserted works for me cause I pulled it off onto my desktop and then enlarged it. 

I think Oregon was just outside the top 21 that is shown in the list. Around 3M+ for 2020 but his raise brought him up a bunch. 

In the top 16, SEC has 8 schools, the Pac-12 has 0. 

You are probably right about the technical issue - it turned out that no matter how I resized the image, it looked the same on the forum.

Live and learn. And yes - I think we are in the realm of all but the very top, but still not quite in the top ten yet.

5 minutes ago, FishIceCream said:

You are probably right about the technical issue - it turned out that no matter how I resized the image, it looked the same on the forum.

Live and learn. And yes - I think we are in the realm of all but the very top, but still not quite in the top ten yet.

The forum has size limitations and will adjust it automatically, which is why making a link is sometimes better.

3 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

a coach's graveyard 

There are coaches graveyards, well said, and places where dreams come true. Coaches come to Oregon to fulfill their dreams.

Brooks was able to become a NFL head coach, from this small little program. Even slick and Helfrich got their dream job, but it didn't turn out that way. CK and too many assistants to list get their dream jobs, Avalos and Arroyo the most recent.

One might also ask the 5 coaches before Saban if Alabama was a (the) top job. My bet is the next Alabama coach will say exactly what the previous coaches would say.

• Like 1

I think I can understand Oregon Not being a Top destination for coaching. The South has a ton of people and support for CFB. Lots of high support in college coaching destination rankings. In fact the whole East coast is where most destinations are. But, with my Green and yellow glasses on, Oregon has some eyepopping reasons for being a top 10 destination IMO. Knight, facility's, commitment to a winning program, and relatively consistent dominant seasons. The fan support along with the cash for the program makes it move on the list.

18 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

One might also ask the 5 coaches before Saban if Alabama was a (the) top job.

It didn't work out well for them. Going back 10 years before Saban took over, there were 3 coaches, Mike DuBose, '97-00, he went, 24-23, Dennis Franchione took over and lasted two years, 17-8. Next was Mike Shula. In his first two years, Alabama was, 10-15, then it got bad.

In his next two years, and Saban's first, 2007, the NCAA hit Alabama with sanctions, and most of their wins were vacated. 

My metric is do these programs build coaches or buy coaches and, too often, become coaching graveyards? I would say every coach we have had became a better coach than when he first arrived. This is how I would rate coaching jobs.

This seems to be a list of places you try to get to when you think you have proven yourself. I am surprised slicks dream job isn't on the list. 

I wonder if there is a program which has produced as many head coaches as Oregon. Also how many programs have 5 straight winning head coaches and the one before that we name the field after, and he had a losing record. You want support, be able to get better at your trade, come to Oregon.

Cash money.....  This is simply about the cash as FIC pointed out with the cold hard data.

I agree with others that there are other metrics that are as, if not more important than salary. 

I agree with the idea that it's a great place for support, facilities, and culture. And a place that has a national brand, which is something all of us middle to old timers can appreciate with a bit of bemusement, if you'll forgive the term.

As much as I loved the Ducks back in the day, I really never imagined that would be true someday.

But, of course the money is a factor as well, and I would not blame coach Cristobal at all if someone offers him 2 million more a year at some point, and he leaves for the job.

I feel more confident at this point that we'd get a good replacement though.

7 hours ago, FishIceCream said:

I feel more confident at this point that we'd get a good replacement though.

I'm not as confident at this as I would like to be. IMO the decision maker there is just "so - so".