Notalot

Positive Vibes And Enthusiasm Toward Ducks Coaches

I don't know what you observed and how you felt while watching Oregon Football taking on the EWU Eagles last night. As much as I appreciated the players, I came away thrilled with the game plan and coaching adjustments this week.

Coach Dan Lanning was mic'd up during the game. At every cut-away to him during the game telecast we could hear Lanning coaching and encouraging players with only positive words and tones. How would you perform on the job with a boss like that?

This morning I further reflected on Lanning and the coaches. Do we fans support the coaches enough with our faith and encouragement? Could we do more, and how would that effect the future of Ducks football?

Yes, coaching the Ducks is a great gig. Prestige, good salaries, top athletes, being part of a great university and Athletic Department, the best facilities, infinitum. 

Despite all of the "stuff", people value respect and recognition highly within the elements of job satisfaction measures.

The coaches and their families have made deep sacrifices for Oregon football.

Do we fans embrace and appreciate them, in the way that Dan Lanning values and communicates with his players?

It is an easy trap to fall into to quickly and sharply nit pick or criticize calls, decisions and coaching.

If we want the Ducks to win championships, and we want the coaches to gel and stay together at Oregon, we should support and praise them restraining our social media jabs, thus allowing them to develop and grow, wanting to be in Eugene with Our Beloved Ducks.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 4

There is certainly a lot more than X’s and O’s that goes into being a successful coach. However, winning games is still the way to win the hearts of the fans. This coaching staff knows that. 

Don’t forget that there are many people and families that make sacrifices in obscurity. 

Edited by Drake
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:05 AM, Notalot said:

If we want the Ducks to win championships, and we want the coaches to gel and stay together at Oregon, we should support and praise them restraining our social media jabs, thus allowing them to develop and grow, wanting to be in Eugene with Our Beloved Ducks.

Naw.  I love what I saw as well last night in so many ways--especially what he was telling the players....but I personally will always be doing critical analysis and describe what I think regardless of how it makes a coach look.  I am not sympathetic as a coach could be sub-par and get paid millions.  They know this is part of the job going in...

We will disagree on this, and that is fine.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I really appreciate that they game planed to put EW away early. Many teams saw what letting lesser opponent hang around can do. Leave them with no hope after the first quarter just how I like it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1

Coaching has changed since the old days when you chewed a guys butt out. Players will tune you out if all you offer is butt chewings. College players are still just older kids. 

You have to be a teacher of the game. Not some arrogant SOB who knows it all and yells when the players don't. If they knew it all they wouldn't need coaching. When I was a kid this seemed how coaching was - more yelling and less teaching.

I mean you can still jump a player's butt, if you're teaching him -- but you have to pick your places. 

Your better served mostly as a coach teaching them and correcting mistakes -- when kids see that your coaching is making them better, they buy into the process.

Plus, butt chewing doesn't make the game fun for players. If it's not fun the effort goes down.

If they are getting better and having fun the players will accept responsibility for mistakes and work to get better with a coach who is working the process with them.

Lanning seems to have this type of style -- so when he tells a player they got it all wrong they don't feel like it's a put down or an attack. They know the next thing out of his mouth is him telling them how to get better and fix it. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Naw.  I love what I saw as well last night in so many ways--especially what he was telling the players....but I personally will always be doing critical analysis and describe what I think regardless of how it makes a coach look.  I am not sympathetic as a coach could be sub-par and get paid millions.  They know this is part of the job going in...

I'm with you on this. Professional coaches don't get a pass from critical analysis of how they coach.

On 9/11/2022 at 11:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am not sympathetic as a coach could be sub-par and get paid millions.  They know this is part of the job going in...

x10. Coaches just need to do their jobs.

The praise will follow. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 9/11/2022 at 11:05 AM, Notalot said:

Coach Dan Lanning was mic'd up during the game. At every cut-away to him during the game telecast we could hear Lanning coaching and encouraging players with only positive words and tones. 

It's always great to see a coach coaching his players. I definitely support this.