Charles Fischer

Where Coach Lanning Feels the Team is, and Oregon's Identity

My FishDuck Friends, this is an experiment because usually you have a ton of articles in the 'Feed with all these quotes, and I wanted to bring them down here for discussion.

From Dan Lanning:

“Well that was fun. That was a lot of fun with a special, special crowd. We knew that they were going to come out there and be there for us. It’s hard to coach at the end of the third quarter during ‘Shout’, so I’ve got to figure that out. I thought we stumbled a little bit in the fourth. That being said, we came out to this game and said we wanted to be a physical team and I think we were that.

We wanted to win critical situations, we were good on fourth down and able to stop them and get ours (fourth down conversions) whenever we had opportunities to go for it. We wanted to out-rush our opponent, that’s a brand of physicality we were able to show. We wanted to establish an identity. I think everybody in the stadium at some point probably realized what we were doing when we ran Josh Conerly (Jr.) out there, our big group with three tight ends in the back and we were about to get big and go play ball.

We didn’t really care if you knew what we were going to do, you had to stop us. I thought our offense did a great job of that. We had some big defensive stops as well, played contested ball and I thought this was our cleanest game from a special team’s standpoint. That being said, there’s so much we can improve on. We played BYU today, but we also played Oregon. We want to finish games, we want to be able to capitalize at the end.

On if he has a sense of who they are as a group…

“I know this, I know we’ll work. Where we’re at as a team, I still think there’s something to be decided. You’re only as good as your last game and you’re only as good as your last play. We’ve got to live in the moment, we’re not resting on our laurels, we’ve got a lot of things we can go work on, but we’ve got a team that will work. I told the guys in the locker room, the more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war, and that’s because of what you do Monday through Friday in practice. We’ve got to go work on the practice field to be able to achieve in the game. What you saw on the field today was a result of the hard work that happens Sunday to Friday.”

On the team’s identity…

“We want to be the team that you don’t want to play again, we want to be the team that when you walk out onto the field you are sore and you’re feeling it, felt physical, we are relentless, and we just continue to nag at you. There were certainly some moments where I saw today where we showed that and there certainly were some moments where we could have finished, and we didn’t. So, looking for moments of growth but relentless is biggest word I would look to use.”

On where this team is at headed into Washington State…

“I’ve got a lot of respect for their head coach and I think what they do, they’ve proven to be a tough team that can go win tough games. I know they had a battle with Wisconsin, I know they had a battle with Idaho and were able to go out there and compete and do a really good job. They present some different stuff, especially offensively. I’m anxious to get into the film, I’ve been able to glance at them a little bit already, but I’m looking forward to touching base on them even more.”

I don’t know that we did as well there at the end as we want to. We’ll continue to grow, we’re about to go play a really good Washington State team and have to get ready for them. That being said, we appreciate Duck Nation for the job they did today.”

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Dan Lanning: 

On the team’s identity…

“We want to be the team that you don’t want to play again, we want to be the team that when you walk out onto the field you are sore and you’re feeling it, felt physical, we are relentless, and we just continue to nag at you. There were certainly some moments where I saw today where we showed that and there certainly were some moments where we could have finished, and we didn’t. So, looking for moments of growth but relentless is biggest word I would look to use.”

Relentless - Growth - Challenge to be better.  Tremendous teaching.  Oregon's new DNA.

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely love Dan Lanning, and what he is doing for these young men, and the fanbase!

We are blessed, and hopefully Dazeduck is also benefiting from what Lanning is sending to the field and doing on the sideline. May the Duck energy be with you, and your recovery, be well!

I also like hearing about Lanning wanting to better prepare the players for the 4th quarter. This guy is a maestro on the sideline, and it is nice to see that again!

On 9/17/2022 at 7:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My FishDuck Friends, this is an experiment because usually you have a ton of articles in the 'Feed with all these quotes, and I wanted to bring them down here for discussion.

From Dan Lanning:

“Well that was fun. That was a lot of fun with a special, special crowd. We knew that they were going to come out there and be there for us. It’s hard to coach at the end of the third quarter during ‘Shout’, so I’ve got to figure that out. I thought we stumbled a little bit in the fourth. That being said, we came out to this game and said we wanted to be a physical team and I think we were that.

We had all hoped Dan and his new staff and our new players would get a sense of how special Autzen Stadium can be as a home venue for the team.  It sounds like he got it.  That was a great crowd yesterday and it came thru (disrespectful slurs from a few fans not-with-stnading) on Fox TV loud and clear.  

It's clear, the team really feeds off that crowd energy!

• Thumbs Up 1

It feels like everything is in place for a special season even in year one. I loved seeing how pissed Lanning got at those late scores and put the first string  D and O units back in to finish strong. He is a real deal leader and learning fast on the job. The BYU coaching staff does an awesome job of coaching up players as well as in game decision making and Lanning and staff out coached them all game long. This team is heading in the right direction and heading there fast.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/18/2022 at 8:55 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

It feels like everything is in place for a special season even in year one. I loved seeing how pissed Lanning got at those late scores and put the first string  D and O units back in to finish strong. He is a real deal leader and learning fast on the job. The BYU coaching staff does an awesome job of coaching up players as well as in game decision making and Lanning and staff out coached them all game long. This team is heading in the right direction and heading there fast.

Yeah, I think everyone was puzzled to see Lanning start to sub in the 3rd QTR.  Unlike last weekend, BYU was a dangerous team and just the team (ranked #12) that Oregon needed to throttle.  Nix should have remained in for at least one more series of downs (and score) before sending in Thompson.  

But, alls well that ends well, in the end.  Just glad that no players got hurt after coming back in which sometimes can happen.  I guess we all know now why Nix is the starter.

I love that Lanning highlighted having to work on his coaching approach during SHOUT

Mentioned (tongue-in-cheek) needing to establish possible performance criteria for players to be eligible to dance  because he wants to do some coaching up on the sideline prior to resumption of play.

R E L E N T L E S S 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 10:22 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

love that Lanning highlighted having to work on his coaching approach during SHOUT

I think it was after "Shout" in how the team changes back to a game focus.  When the game is close--I do not imagine players will take part much, but when you have a big lead...it makes sense for them to have fun with it as it is part of the Oregon experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck