Mic

This Is Bo's Team Now

I know when I'm licked.

Seems very few of you discerning posters here agree with my assessment that Bo may be risking too much when running the ball like he does for 1st downs.  But there's one thing that I think we can all agree on: this is Bo's team now.  

After the last two contests the way he has Dilly's Offense humming, (along with his willingness to throw himself headlong into the fray alongside his running backs and bash heads against defenders) he's got this entire team rallied behind him right now.  That I admit whole-heartedly.

I don't necessarily agree with it because neither TT nor JB look ready to take this team on their backs yet should Nix go down, but ... it is what it is:  Bo's Team now.

GO OREGON!

Edited by Mic
  • Go Ducks! 1

The improvement has been impressive, but can he do it when it is a passing-game shootout?  There will be games like that in our future, and some might question if all the receivers can step up.  But I think enough can....

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is Bo's team. He put the Georgia game behind him. Then rallied and led the team to back to back victories. Can any of the gray beards or stat masters remember when a Duck team scored on 15 of 17 drives? 

The Duck receivers will be tested by the Cougar defenders this week. Against the Badgers, the Cougs loaded the box to stop the run. The Dbacks played man coverage. The Badger receivers could not get separation from those defenders.

Mic and Charles, i believe the Duck receivers will and can get separation. Some designed rollouts for Bo will keep the Cougs guessing.

As long as the Ducks O line plays to their strengths, Bo and the skill position players will score and score often. Minimize penalties and take care of the ball.

Martin Stadium will be a mad house so the Ducks need to keep their composure. I personally feel that the Duck D will give Ward fits and get some turnovers.

In 1958, first day of school in first grade, i met 4 new life long friends. Spokane, Washington is Cougar country. They all have season tickets and will be rooting the Cougs on. Make me proud Ducks. The Cougars cannot beat you. Only the Ducks can beat the Ducks.     

GO DUCKS! Keep me and all the Ducks fanbase hapoy.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The improvement has been impressive, but can he do it when it is a passing-game shootout?  

The throw Bo made Saturday down inside the 5 traveled about 60+ yards in the air.  It was a tad under-thrown but not enough to prevent it from being caught.  And that's a long way to throw a football.   Still no sacks given up yet.  That's impressive too.

After watching Lanning's interview this morning he was asked about Bo's decision not to slide when scrambling.  The answer he gave convinces me Bo has the green light to do just what he did to try for 1st downs.  Lanning even referenced John Elway's throwing of his body into the end zone for a game winning TD, when he was a kid.  "I'm not going to tell a kid how to compete."  Fair enough -

But Charles, this worries guys like me because I've seen enough injuries ruin enough careers that can also affect the team's entire season to be comfortable with a QB throwing himself headlong around like that.  I am probably worrying too much. And I admit Bo (by doing this) has pulled the entire team behind him and there is no longer any question who the Leader of this team is on the field.

On 9/20/2022 at 2:31 PM, Mic said:

But Charles, this worries guys like me because I've seen enough injuries ruin enough careers that can also affect the team's entire season to be comfortable with a QB throwing himself headlong around like that.  I am probably worrying too much.

I think you make an excellent point.  I was there in Autzen 34 years ago in 1988, when Bill Musgrave tried to take on an Arizona State linebacker to make the first down just as Bo did versus two defenders on Saturday.  Oregon was 6-1 at that point and was looking to truly break through that year, but Bill got his collarbone broken on the play and we lost that game 21-20, and all the remaining games to limp to a 6-6 record.

So I think some plays are just not worth the risk for the reward, and I agree with your concerns.

That is a beautiful rich color of green, and I always loved those uniforms.

The Cal-Oregon Connection: Bill Musgrave, Justin Wilcox, Peter Sirmon -  Sports Illustrated Cal Bears News, Analysis and More

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

No question, he's elevating the play around him.  Night and day difference when TT, took over (not all his fault of course, but just look at how the offense tanked when he came in).

Bo's a leader and his guys are rallying around him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooo... we went from play Ty Thompson,  Bo isn't the right guy for Oregon, Bo makes poor decisions under pressure, anybody but Nix.

Tooo... This is Bo's team, he can't be diving for first downs, we have no backup plan, if Nix gets hurt the season is over.

This is going to be fun 😂😂

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:54 PM, Log Haulin said:

Tooo... This is Bo's team, he can't be diving for first downs, we have no backup plan, if Nix gets hurt the season is over.

Well, that's not quite what I said, but yeah, now that O has shown Bo is the Leader going forth the 'Ty/Jay' controversy is over and the leadership issue has been settled.

Charles related the Musgrave injury (above), and what that had meant for the team. But Dan Lanning in his comments today, (when asked about Bo not using the slide) said he never asks his QB's to slide which means to me he's been given the green light to do his thing.

As a loyal Duck fan, that means that issue has been settled for me as well.  Go Oregon!

• Go Ducks! 2

Captain Phillips GIF

Yeah I had to do it lol

Kinda looks like a Zombie above, kirklandduc.  Tell me, can he catch passes?

If a QB doesn't naturally slide instructing him too would probably be counterproductive, he'd become hesitant, his play would suffer, and the chance of injury would increase. Lanning seems to trust that BO won't challenge the LB. He resisted throwing low percentage passes against BYU and made productive runs. If that is the plan, I think Bo's team is headed in the right direction.