Charles Fischer

How About the Offense Pulling Out the Long-Balls?

I am blown away at all the long balls thrown and completed today, as it means so much for the offense going forward, and for how it complicates preparation by our opponents.  Franklin is rounding into a star, and Thornton came up with a big one today!  Hutson was so close...I cannot convey how excited I am to see the long-ball back in the Oregon arsenal.

Think this was WSU related, or will it be a regular part of the game plan?

Bo Nix about to throw a 55 yard bomb to Kris Hutson...

And a biggie....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

It looks to me that when Oregon's stellar offensive line can give Nix enough time, he can plant his feet and throw rockets downfield.... and that we have a few very fast receivers with very good hands. I suspect we can do this against other teams as well.  

• Thumbs Up 1

There will be plenty of opportunities going forward. Oregon has faster recievers than many pac-12 secondaries and there needs to be the confidence on Dillingham's part to call for some more deep shots. 

I was actually pretty impressed with his throw towards Cota when he needed to get the ball out fast. If it was a split second later it would have been caught... Granted it couldn't be a split second later because.of pressure but it was darn close. 

One of the long balls went the other way on us, but the WSU QB Couged-up the same mistake fortunately.

Mr. FishDuck

Nothing more exciting than watching our receivers break free and Nix hitting them in stride. The way Oregon was marching up and down that field they probably should have scored +50 points. 

A come from behind win on the road will certainly help this teams confidence and resolve during any tough games ahead. 

Looks like a potent offense has finally returned to Oregon. 

Edited by Drake

I think this is deliberate by the coaches.  They are focusing on building up Bo's confidence on the protection and continuing to work with him on being disciplined with his reads. 

Kenny said he would call plays back to back like this but Bo needs to recognize if the defense sniffs these out.  He lost track of Mauigoa in the defense and with the pressure coming down on him he threw the ball with air under it.  Honestly the WSU defense played that pass PERFECT.  

He's gaining confidence though with what he's being taught and I think when the game plan calls for it he will be taking more and more shots down the field.  Probably not against Stanford next week... but I think we will have more close games this year and the deep shots will be needed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Talking about the passing game from The FishDuck Feed...

Loved the long ball play design.

They had Nix roll out, then stop, set his feet, and either throw long, or throw back across the field. 

Worked every time they did it 

If I remember correctly, the first play of the Spring Game was a long bomb to Seven McGee. I saw that as an opening statement from Dillingham, telling all of us that a new era of Duck offense had begun. 

Seeing the long balls yesterday, and watching our young receivers pulling down some seriously contested catches was so satisfying.

And we’re just getting started. This offense is going to be something scary down the line.