Charles Fischer

Awesome EXPOSE of the "Experts" 'dissing Herbert Last Spring...

Actually the San Diego PR department is going crazy today with Justin Herbert winning the Rookie-of-the-Year Award!

Mr. FishDuck

SWEET! !  I've been tempted to get a Twitter account just so I could ask, how after his colossal miss on Herbert, how McShay could still have a job. But, now the Chargers PR Dept. is handling it. McSham will keep his job, such as it is. 

Strategy/Scheme, along with Recruiting and Player Development are the biggies. Until the offense was opened up by Arroyo in Pac 12 Championship versus Utah and Rosebowl, Herbert could not show off his amazing talent NOR further develop as a QB. Since then, well... the rest is history. 

34 minutes ago, Fordux said:

Strategy/Scheme, along with Recruiting and Player Development are the biggies. Until the offense was opened up by Arroyo in Pac 12 Championship versus Utah and Rosebowl, Herbert could not show off his amazing talent NOR further develop as a QB. Since then, well... the rest is history. 

Herbert had a pretty good freshman year with the Helfrich offensive system. The Taggart and then Arroyo systems didn't do him any favors. 

2 hours ago, David Marsh said:

Herbert had a pretty good freshman year with the Helfrich offensive system. The Taggart and then Arroyo systems didn't do him any favors. 

Herbert was great in Helf’s system, but I disagree on the Taggart system failing. I think Justin fared quite well in it. That first half against Nebraska was almost perfect: 19/21 for 312 yards and 3 TDs. In those six full games Willie called the plays in Justin had 30% of his career rushing yards, 40% of his career rushing TDs before the Rose Bowl, a 12:3 TD:INT ratio, and four of his top-10 passer rating games. Willie was not a great coach, but he had a good offense and could call plays. And I’m not one to praise Willie Taggart. 

I think just as big of a factor as the offensive play calling and system was what happened to the skill talent. The opposite of Tua. Losing Royce, Kani Benoit, TBJ, Carrington, Chuck Nelson, Pharaoh, Johnny Mundt, and Jalen Brown from 2016 to 2018. In 2018 Herbert had Dillon Mitchell, Breeland, and the dropsy bunch. Even Mitchell wasn’t always reliable although overall he was great. 

I’ll maintain forever that the lack of skill players is equally as important as Arroyo’s stale offense in holding back Herbert. By 2019 JJ3 and Redd improved, plus Juwan Johnson and Mycah Pittman showed up. Even Bralon Addison and Spencer Webb helped. But no one was ever healthy at the same time. Breeland was great and went down. Juwan and Pittman missed half the year. If you gave Herbert the 2012 Oregon skill players it would be a very different narrative. 

I saved about 100 screenshots from twitter leading up to the draft, after the draft, and once Herbert started playing. I thought I’d have to hang on to them for a few years, but they became cold takes pretty quickly.

If anything it would be easier to name Herbert’s defenders over his detractors: Gil Brandt, Mike of Rivals, former NFL GM Mike Tannenbaum, and the well known around draft time anonymous scout. 

But those are media guys. They exist to entertain. What did NFL execs say to NFL dot com? 7/12 preferred Herbert over Tua. One was adamant that Herbert is going to be the best, has the highest ceiling, and is the safest pick - including Burrow.

EF1C0748-72C1-4507-94F6-F41ECE9AC580.jpeg

6 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

What did NFL execs say to NFL dot com?

I remember that former coach, Rex Ryan, spoke very highly of Justin. 

1 hour ago, RatherBe said:

but I disagree on the Taggart system failing. I think Justin fared quite well in it.

Where I criticize the Taggart system with Herbert is really in how Taggart wanted to run Herbert more up the middle rather than more opportunistic run plays. I would have to check to see what was going on in the Cal game in 2017 when Herbert broke his collar bone.

But the biggest problem with the Taggart system is its overall lack of half time adjustments. So Herbert would be wasted in the second half of games. Granted, that was really the biggest problem with the Arroyo offense as well.

Though I do agree that the loss of supporting cast members was what really hurt Herbert. 2015 was really the last time Oregon had a stellar cast of receivers. Mitchell was good but he was really the only receiver that was any good in 2018. Really looking forward to seeing what this new receiving corp can do!

1 hour ago, David Marsh said:

Where I criticize the Taggart system with Herbert is really in how Taggart wanted to run Herbert more up the middle rather than more opportunistic run plays. I would have to check to see what was going on in the Cal game in 2017 when Herbert broke his collar bone.

But the biggest problem with the Taggart system is its overall lack of half time adjustments. So Herbert would be wasted in the second half of games. Granted, that was really the biggest problem with the Arroyo offense as well.

Though I do agree that the loss of supporting cast members was what really hurt Herbert. 2015 was really the last time Oregon had a stellar cast of receivers. Mitchell was good but he was really the only receiver that was any good in 2018. Really looking forward to seeing what this new receiving corp can do!

Not trying to be hostile, or defend any snakes. I just don’t agree with us knowing enough about Taggart’s second half adjustments while having Herbert or his offense being any more dangerous for a QB. 

Let’s break it down. There was one bad second half where the offense got too conservative. The Nebraska game, where a 42-14 lead ended 42-35. There were three blowouts (Southern Utah, Wyoming, Oregon State) where it was garbage time for the second half. Two close games (Arizona State and Arizona) where Oregon out scored their opponents in the second half. Not enough of a sample size to say Taggart had bad second half adjustments with Herbert as his QB. 

As far as having the QB run up the middle, that is a judgment call. Willie’s offense had fewer runs for Herbert than Helfrich’s offense did, statistically. But QB run frequency doesn’t equal more injuries, there have been several studies; QBs who run more are less likely to be injured and percentage wise QBs are more likely to be injured on a drop back. Herbert’s collarbone was on this, looks like a read option: 

and Herbert fighting for the TD is what left him vulnerable. 

I do think Willie was not the right coach for Oregon in the long term. I do think he’s a good offensive mastermind, at least compared to Arroyo. We’ll never know for sure, because of Herbert’s injury and Braxton Burmeister’s pure, unadulterated awfulness both at Oregon and Va Tech. I would have loved to see Herbert with this offense, both the skill guys and the Moorhead offensive system. 

Edited by RatherBe

Is this not a good reason to basically turn off all the pundits that talk Football as their profession? We talk about it and its free. Just a bunch of fans. What do we know? Apparently about the same conclusions as the paid pundits. Its all opinions. I don't believe any of them. Not one. Scoreboard! Thats the answer. Yeah, you probably guessed I hate the ranking system and the playoff model. All opinion. USC should have won. Hmmm, they played....Oregon won. Scoreboard!!

RatherBe thanks for getting the clip... I remember Herbert fighting for extra yards just not the overall play. 

I know Braxton was just in over his head playing. Though there were a lot of plays just built around running the ball and it was very predictable. This was mostly when Herbert was was injured. 

2 hours ago, 1Funduck said:

USC should have won. Hmmm, they played....Oregon won. Scoreboard!!

Amen. That is exactly what is wrong with the Committee, a bunch of "experts" that spend the afternoon watching the games, with all the preconceived notions and biases all fans have, and rather than base their selections on criteria, like winning a division, let alone a conference, use the "EYE Test" to pick teams. 

10 hours ago, 30Duck said:

Amen. That is exactly what is wrong with the Committee, a bunch of "experts" that spend the afternoon watching the games, with all the preconceived notions and biases all fans have, and rather than base their selections on criteria, like winning a division, let alone a conference, use the "EYE Test" to pick teams. 

Couldn't agree more. If the pundits had it all figured out, why play the game. One team should kneel down in defeat at the KO or TO. I Never watch shows that promote prognostication as the premise of the show, unless its about the Ducks. They better say the Ducks are going to win...😉