Log Haulin

Jahlil Florence Next Lockdown?

247SPORTS.COM

Jordan James and Jahlil Florence make big plays, burn redshirt seasons

Florence was impressive. Like article said, he got a little caught up playing the man not the ball. He figures that out and he is going to be absolute lockdown.

He got his first Int but could have snagged three. One he caught but got called holding, another he couldn't snatch.

JF put everyone on notice Saturday. Dudes going to be a beast. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:51 AM, Log Haulin said:

He got his first Int but could have snagged three. One he caught but got called holding, another he couldn't snatch.. 

Or as Lanning put it "he got a little handsy".  That's a habit that's hard to break a player of and I think that might be because they're afraid they're getting beat by the receiver.  If anyone can help him correct it - it should be Lanning working with the DB coach.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aside from JF, the whole defensive secondary played their best of the season. There is a lot to fix still but this was a good performance.

Az came in as the 6th best passing attack in the country. Avg 340+ yards a game. Ducks held them to 242 and 1 TD. 

I think the gritty performance of the Wazzu game payed huge dividends in this one. Oregon just keeps building from week to week.

The first couple Az drives pushed the ball down the field. After that, Oregon adjustments shut them down.

DTR and Chip are going to be a handful. Looking forward to how this staff responds in game to the challenge UCLA poses.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 9:49 AM, Log Haulin said:

DTR and Chip are going to be a handful. Looking forward to how this staff responds in game to the challenge UCLA poses.

With ferocity, I hope.

• Salute 1

On 10/9/2022 at 9:49 AM, Log Haulin said:

The first couple Az drives pushed the ball down the field. After that, Oregon adjustments shut them down.

Adjustments. I'm so glad that word has returned to the UO vocabulary. That word is now mia in Miami. I couldn't be happier about the cultural changes this team has made.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

I hope Florence gets more playing time.

I’m not a big fan of one of Oregon’s starting CBs and think he would be better off at safety. He’s big and a really good tackler but is completely lost in pass coverage. 

Florence flashed his potential in pass coverage and looked fast.  Hope he learns as much as he can from Gonzales this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought Manning was really starting to play well before the targeting penalty.  Then, Florence came in and didn't drop off at all.  Reps are all he needs.

Loved the way both Florence and Manning played last night.

Both the "being too handsy" and the targeting call were just crappy Pac12 refs BS.

Those don't get called in the SEC, and shouldn't here. They constantly are "searching" for these and others while missing obvious ones like D offsides and what the down actually is.

It is what it is, but the Pac reffing is soft and crap.

I like both Florence and Manning to keep up the aggressiveness. It makes us and them better.

The growth rate of this team both individually and collectively is staggering. Freshmen jumping in and having an impact early on a great team will get attention from recruits. So will the coaching up they'll both see on the field and hear about from the players.

It's nice to see the secondary becoming a strength of the team. By the Utah game, the entire team may become the strength of the team!

On 10/9/2022 at 1:55 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I thought Manning was really starting to play well before the targeting penalty.  Then, Florence came in and didn't drop off at all.  Reps are all he needs.

Manning has looked good too. Time to play the young corners opposite Gonzales. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, OregonDucks said:

Manning has looked good too. Time to play the young corners opposite Gonzales. 

There were times last night when Gonzo seemed to play a nickel spot with 2 CB's? But I don't trust my old eyes to say so for sure

(Somebody with more knowledge might offer an opinion) but UA went after JF at least twice in the 3rd with down field shots on the sidelines with Singer, one a catch and one a miss (about 8:23 and again at 3:10).

I thought JF played both well, Singer appears to have a sideline method while running - as the ball is in the air - to literally take his off arm and hold the DB about 2 feet away with an "arm bar". In one instance the ref either behind the play or trailing it threw a PI flag, completely missing the WR creating both contact and space for the catch with his outside arm. Sort of sneaky good by the WR if you can get away with it (which appears regularly with Pac-12 refs). It is hard for a DB not to get a bit "handsy" when the WR is trying to hold you two feet apart. Interested to see if anyone else saw it the same way.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/9/2022 at 2:44 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

There were times last night when Gonzo seemed to play a nickel spot with 2 CB's? But I don't trust my old eyes to say so for sure

The announcers mentioned that Gonzales was matching up against Arizona’s best receiver, even if he lined up in the slot and that Gonzales was working on that this past week. Oregon sure got a great cover corner in the portal. 

• Thumbs Up 1