Mic

The 'Ol Coin Toss

We have two long weeks to await the really big matchup in Eugene in what should prove to be one of the more important games that week in the CFB, but I like to speculate on intangibles.  

For instance, by now we all pretty much know what Lanning thinks about the coin toss.  He likes that so-called "middle-eight" period or the last 4 min of the 1st half and the first 4 min of the 2nd and to allow for that he likes to defer the ball when/if O wins the toss.

General wisdom is to take the kickoff when on the road and defer when at home, the opposite of what Fisch did last night.  It almost worked for Az when they managed to drive to the Oregon 11 but on 1st down fumbled the ball (unforced).  Poof! Gone was the 'wisdom' (gamble, really) of that decision.

What will Lanning do if Oregon wins the toss against a revved-up, turbo-charged Chip Kelly offense when they meet in Autzen on the 22nd?  Do you take the kickoff and try to score first - thereby giving up the chance for a morale-destroying "middle 8" ? Or do you trust the defense to stop UCLA from jumping out on top (and possibly playing from behind) to preserve the possibility of it?  

I suspect some thought and discussion about just this will be going on 'twixt both coaching staffs during the bye week.  It's a more important little 'detail' than a lot of fans think with two (or 6, actually) coaches like Dan Lanning and Chip Kelly, (along with their O.C.'s & D.C.'s).   It's partially why the gaming houses place bets on such a thing. And games can turn on little details when two roaring offenses like these collide.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

IMO, this is a no brainer. 

You stay with what is working. 

If by chance UCLA scores, we are still gaming that we will score twice.

So, we want to kick-off in 1st half, receive in the 2nd.

Should be a great game!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, DanLduck said:

So, we want to kick-off in 1st half, receive in the 2nd.

It's what I bet Lanning will do.  But I need to consult with Red Eddy first.

• Go Ducks! 1

What would Chip do?  Defer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Defer

Don't do what Arizona did. I suppose that works for a lot of things.

262eeae2-7cad-407e-b946-de77d1f80331-USATSI_19202590.jpg.webp

• Haha 1