Log Haulin

O-Line: The Alpha that Separates Oregon from the Pac'

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

The offensive line remains the root of Oregon's impressive offensive success.

I want to recognize the O line as the heartbeat of Ducks high scoring offense. Everything Oregon is doing offensively is a result of the line dominant in the trenches.

Seeing the Center Forsyth blocking DBs 10 yards down field tells us all we need to know. Touchdown Oregon. 

This is imo, the best line in the nation. The way they are playing, it going to be very difficult for the opposition to prevent them from driving Ducks all the way to conference championship. 

Huge atta-boy to the most dominant men in college football at the halfway point. Keep it up. I will be cheering this unit all the way to the CFP 🤞🤞🤞

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

This pic was taken towards the end of the game. Even back-ups are

coached well to play their positions... 'hats on hats'

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Stats from Arizona game indicate how good our O-Line is.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/9/2022 at 6:09 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Stats from Arizona game indicate how good our O-Line is.

Save this for comparison to the next game's stats.  Not to throw cold water on your party but... remember it was Arizona.  When they show dominance against UCLA, Utah and Washington I'll be right there to cheer them on as THE best in the nation.  They are so far...

• Applause 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:57 PM, Mic said:

Save this for comparison to the next game's stats.  Not to throw cold water on your party but... remember it was Arizona.  When they show dominance against UCLA, Utah and Washington I'll be right there to cheer them on as THE best in the nation.  They are so far...

Against Georgia, Ducks put up 140ish yards on the ground. I don't think anyone has put 100 on them since. Ducks were 2/3 on 4th down and didn't give up a sac.

Against everyone else except Wazzu (178 rush yards), Oregon is well over 200+ ypg. They have given up 1 sac for a loss of 6 inches all year.

Maybe there is an O-Line out there that has similar or better numbers, IDK. What I do know is that Oregon's front has dominated everyone they have played.

Yes, 140 yd and no sacs v. Dawgs is the exception due to red zone scoring and 2 pics. 140 yd and no sacs v. Dawgs is still super impressive.

So... IMHO, at the halfway mark, Oregon's front is THE best in the nation. 

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The O-Line makes this possible!

• Cool 2
  • Like 1

The "Middle 8" has some amazing numbers for our offense.

I read somewhere that this is an emphasis period of time for Lanning and

why he prefers receiving at the beginning of the 3rd Qtr.

Don't know what the "Middle 8" is?

It's the 4 minutes at the end of the 2nd Qtr and the first 4 minutes of the 3rd Qtr.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

I agree, the Ducks O-line shows up on game day and is bringing it!  I’m pretty big on my Dawgs O-line but we did struggle a bit against  Missouri.  I think the Ducks experience is really showing on the O-line.  Big Guys are getting it done!

GO DUCKS!!!  and GO DAWGS (GA Dawgs that is)🤣

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

To add to my earlier comment about the Ducks being experienced on the O-line.  It’s not just about having playing time at your position, it’s about being able to work in tandem with the O-line as a unit.  I’m not sure who adjusts protection or blocking assignments for the Ducks.  Probably the center and QB in real time.  But the experience they have with one another is paying dividends.  Nothing can replace that cohesiveness.  Playing on the O-line is much more than just moving one defender where you want him.  Everyone understanding their assignment on a given play as it changes is sometimes what makes a huge difference.  Not every team can do this consistently.  

• Thumbs Up 3

This offensive line is BETTER than the Cristobal line... the scheme is putting these linemen in the best position to make big plays. 

On 10/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, cartm25 said:

Though I like to criticize his offensive scheme, we have MARI CRISTBAL to thank for his stellar recruiting of offensive lineman.

Meh.

The best offensive line in Oregon history that sent four to the NFL, and who are still on rosters were recruited by Steve Greatwood...before Cristobal.  Coach Greatwood had five great ones verballed before July 4th in 2015...for signing in February of 2016. 

Calvin Throckmorton

Saints Players Who Could Make A Big Leap in 2022 - Sports Illustrated New  Orleans Saints News, Analysis and More

And they were wasted by Cristobal.  Those pesky facts...

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I agree @Charles Fischer .  Mari’s OLs should have been better. 

Sewell would have been great no matter where he played. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Mari-no-O the one who showed that Oregon could recruit top tier recruits?  Something that previous coaches just assumed could not be done?

• Thumbs Up 1

Look at the average rushing yards in the ten years before Cristobal, and then the average during his four years, and now what we doing now in rushing?  Cristobal's teams underperformed what Kelly/Helfrich, and now what Lanning/Dillingham are doing.

The scheme before Cristobal, and after Cristobal creates superior rushing numbers, despite his talk of being physical and running the ball.  When you are the first team in NCAA history to average 45 points a game for four years and you come in and change that offense?

How stupid/stubborn/boneheaded can you be?  (He is a former coach, thus we can write those things)

Yes.  I am still sore about it, as Oregon could have done so much better.  He recruited well, but was it the best on the offensive line?  No, that goes to Coach Greatwood.  Did he have the best scheme to create more rushing yards? No. Everyone before and after have done better including Bellotti.

Now did Cristobal raise the overall talent level at Oregon?  Yes, and I credit him for that.  But remember...it was Willie Taggart who first broke the recruiting glass ceiling at Oregon.

FISHDUCK.COM

These are not two of your favorite people to contemplate right now, but I would ask for your indulgence and fantasizing along with me. I understand how people...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/10/2022 at 8:20 PM, cartm25 said:

Seems like this OL is the class of the Pac-12.

This same offensive line would have languished had Cristobal stayed.  Why?

1) How many were going to leave before Lanning/Dillingham/Klemm showed up?  Wasn't it two or three?  I know our best one who has won Pac-12 Offensive Lineman of the Week twice in six games, TJ Bass was one of them.

2) Dillingham's scheme is damn near twice as good as Cristobal's offense.  EVERYBODY can see that.  We've gone from 32 points per game to 42 points per game, which includes the Georgia contest!  Nearly 50 points per game in the last five games, as this is an offensive lineman's paradise.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Steve Greatwood lived up to his name.  Is Klemm anything like him?  I don't know but I guess we'll likely get to see in the coming years.