Charles Fischer

My Burgeoning Bromance With Bassa...

In the Lanning/Georgia defense, they refer to one of the inside linebackers as the "Mac," who is a run-stuffer and that is Sewell.  But the other ILB is called the "Money" linebacker, because he is called upon to do so much, and needs to have many skills.

Jeffrey Bassa holds up inside, and can make the hits. You will see him coming around the edge on the pass-rush, and he was recruited originally as a safety, thus can do the pass-coverage well.  His pursuit as a "Spill" defender on perimeter plays can been extraordinary, and what I once saw as an undersized  "fill-in" has now become one of my favorites on the defense.

Agree, or am I over-my-skis again?

Jeffrey Bassa - Football - University of Oregon Athletics

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Soundly agree.

Bassa has really blossomed in this defense. I thought he was good last year, but I think he has stepped up his game way more this year.

He is a sure and dependable tackler too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bassa gives 100 percent.  Side to side speed is special, good at coverage, hits hard, what more can we want. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In the Lanning/Georgia defense, they refer to one of the inside linebackers as the "Mac," who is a run-stuffer and that is Sewell.  But the other ILB is called the "Money" linebacker, because he is called upon to do so much, and needs to have many skills.

Jeffrey Bassa holds up inside, and can make the hits. You will see him coming around the edge on the pass-rush, and he was recruited originally as a safety, thus can do the pass-coverage well.  His pursuit as a "Spill" defender on perimeter plays can been extraordinary, and what I once saw as an undersized  "fill-in" has now become one of my favorites on the defense.

Agree, or am I over-my-skis again?

Jeffrey Bassa - Football - University of Oregon Athletics

I think that's a very fair judgement of his contribution to the defense, Charles.  And when you stop and consider he's just a sophomore with two years of eligibility left - you start to really get excited about the young man and his huge up-side potential to develop into a true pro-quality linebacker. He might need a little more muscle mass, but the talent is certainly there.   Lanning will teach him what he needs to do to get there.

• Thumbs Up 1

He feels like a new Troy Dye to me in all honesty. Not the biggest Linebacker but able to cover and defend against the run. He also can just come down and hit people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bud was at the game last week and he has been big on Bassa since last year. He loves Bassa. 

But he was really impressed with Flowe seeing him play live, and he's been down on Flowe since last year with the injury bug. 

His hot take to me was Flowe is going to be a big key against the UCLA run game and RB Charbonnet. Smaller Bassa got trucked by a Zona RB last week and Charbonnet at 220lbs is a load.

My Bud says if Flowe has a big game we will win that game and his takes a pretty dang smart. He was pro Bo Nix killing it and he was right on that one. 

• Thumbs Up 2