Pennsylvania Duck

Dan Lanning Talks Growth From Ty Thompson

Many of you have commented about Ty Thompson in another thread, including myself wanting to see Butters. 

Now see what our coach has to say. I do wish he would've gone into more specifics about his improvements.

Do you feel any better after Coach Lanning's comments or are you still apprehensive?

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning has seen growth from Ty Thompson this season

• Thumbs Up 1

I support the coaches decisions here. 

I have, however, noticed a huge contrast between TT and Butterfield... LIFE!

Every time that Bo Nix scores a touchdown or throws a TD pass and the camera follows him to the sideline, Butterfield is there with a big small, patting him on the back, talking to him excitedly. It's like Butterfield is totally into the game and into his QB1. 

TT is performing on the field, but he looks lifeless. One thing that TT shared with the media back in the spring is that he is really learning about leadership from Bo Nix. When TT takes the field, he needs to show a little bit of what he is learning. He needs to do it on the sideline also.

Here is part of the Lanning quote.

"I know he would love to have some moments back, but I think he's done some good things too. He made some really good run checks this past game. He was able to assess what the defensive lineup was in. He looked really good in practice today and did some good things, so continue to be excited about his development."

This is the second time Lanning has broken out the "run checks" mantra for Ty this year.

If that's what we are praising Ty for then I'm not impressed, and I think Lanning is treading around the real issues with Ty with the press.

Edited by DazeNconfused

That seems like polite coach speak for “ no comment “. I wouldn’t expect the coach to throw a player under the bus in an interview.

Hopefully QB2 isn’t needed for awhile. I’d also like to see Butters get some meaningful reps against CU or maybe even Cal.

• Like 1

I would like to see Dillingham dial up a few real-game scenario drives for Ty so we can get a better assessment of where he's at. I'd want to see him put Ty into the same sort of opportunities to create explosive plays as Nix is getting. Maybe keep the 1st string O-Line out there until they at least score a touchdown with him under center. 

4th quarter against CU, if I'm Dillingham, I am on the headset with Ty saying "OK here we go, I don't care what the score is, we need this touchdown; go get it". Now if that version of Ty comes out and still struggles or can't move the ball, I'll want to see what we have in Butters. We just haven't seen Ty operate the "real" version of KD's offense yet; so it's tough to get a read.

Edited by Babyjesus615

On 10/12/2022 at 1:56 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Many of you have commented about Ty Thompson in another thread, including myself wanting to see Butters. 

Now see what our coach has to say. I do wish he would've gone into more specifics about his improvements.

Do you feel any better after Coach Lanning's comments or are you still apprehensive?

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning has seen growth from Ty Thompson this season

Still very apprehensive.  Also very skeptical.  And very suspicious.  And very confused.

Dan Lanning sounds to me (in this article) like a man hedging his bets.  Hoping for more.  Hoping for the best.  Not committing to anything.  That's smart.

Edited by Mic