FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Lanning/Lupoi Fire Zone Blitz

Charles Fischer, Mr. FishDuck, writes today's analysis article.  The Fire Zone Blitz is the result of many hours of research.  Enjoy!

FISHDUCK.COM

The Fire Zone Blitz is still alive and used at Oregon by Coaches Dan Lanning and Tosh Lupoi when they wish to apply maximum pressure in...
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks for putting this together Charles!

• Thanks 1

Thank you Charles for a detailed description of this blitz.  I appreciate the diagram and corresponding video.  Well done analysis!

I also appreciate the last video of Duck history under Coach Aliotti.  Coach Nick was ahead of his time, and a true Duck legend!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, Smith72 said:

Coach Aliotti.  Coach Nick was ahead of his time, and a true Duck legend!

Aliotti was awesome! I love him on the PAC-12 Network as well. He still talks like a Duck!

Thank you Charles for the informative analysis. I have recognized it several times this year. Now, I finally know what to call it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Says Charles about the 'Fire Blitz', and very rightly so:

"You won’t see Lanning/Lupoi rush five or six very often, but the continued growth in the skills of the Duck secondary may allow Oregon fans to see more of these blitzes as the season progresses."

Tis risky, as are all blitzes esp. with a DTR type of QB but - no risk, no gain.  This should be a very good marker of just how good/developed our back cover is/has gotten and how good Lupoi is at calling for it at the right moment.

Saddle the Lagonda, Lugg!  This fire's getting hot.

Loved the trip down memory lane with the videos going back 11 years.  How fun!   

• Thanks 1

Interesting read.

Thanks Charles! Based off your articles this year, our discussions and from what I've seen -- I've gotten around to drawing some conclusions.

It appears Lanning/Lupoi are playing mostly Cover-2 and rushing four men using the simulated pressures you explained two weeks ago.  

But when they do bring a 5- or 6-man blitz, they are overloading one side of the line with rushers.

So, the final conclusion appears to be creating confusion is key. When we rush four-men they are guessing what four pre-snap and have to read and react to the four that rush after the snap.

When we rush five-or-six-men we are disguising that also pre-snap to an extent, then causing the offensive line to block an overloaded side. If we show five-men on the line pre-snap we are probably dropping one out into coverage and bringing a linebacker. 

We are more sophisticated than the old school put six men on the line pre-snap and bring them all blitz. As the passing game has evolved QBs and WR easily read that pre-snap and just run a hot route to beat the blitz. 

Lanning/Lupoi are making the offensive line read and react after the snap. They are making the pre-snap read and the pre-snap commination by the offensive line less effective. This causes more stress, confusion and increases the odds of a blown blocking assignment by the offensive line.

I'll add last week late in the first half Zona put a linebacker on the line showing us a five-man blitz pre-snap, and they brought it. Cota ran a cross over the middle at around 10-yards where the linebacker wasn't for an easy play. 

I'm sure that was a pre-snap read for Bo and Cota. Cota, I suspect changed his route at the line to run to the vacated spot where the linebacker wasn't, and Bo hit him in stride before the blitz got to him.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Lanning/Lupoi are making the offensive line read and react after the snap.

As Coach Lanning stated in a video before the season..."whoever the offensive line coach is of the opposing team?  I want to make him work."

DJ Johnson closing in on Sack_Fox Sports Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Lanning/Lupoi are making the offensive line read and react after the snap. They are making the pre-snap read and the pre-snap commination by the offensive line less effective. This causes more stress, confusion and increases the odds of a blown blocking assignment by the offensive line.

In the 3rd video above the Ducks effect a sack on the Washington QB while at least two Offensive linemen are left swinging heads left & right trying to find someone to block. Meanwhile, two Ducks are pounding their QB into the turf.  I absolutely love that!  4 rushers beat 5 blockers because (basically) 4 rushers beat 3 due to the confusion the blitz created.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:56 AM, Mic said:

In the 3rd video above the Ducks effect a sack on the Washington QB while at least two Offensive linemen are left swinging heads left & right trying to find someone to block. Meanwhile, two Ducks are pounding their QB into the turf.  I absolutely love that!  4 rushers beat 5 blockers because (basically) 4 rushers beat 3 due to the confusion the blitz created.

Yes. Two-fold confusion. Not giving away a pre-snap blitz read that the QB and WR can go hot route. Then confusing the OL with who is coming and from where.

There is a lot more going to our scheme then meets the eye. As fans we at times want that bring six-men and get after the QB but have to understand there is a scheme going on.

I also think Lanning/Lupoi have set up being more aggressive with how often they blitz with as much Cover-2 as we have played. Teams will think we have shown a tendency to play way more Cover-2 and rush-four than blitz. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Like 1