NJDuck

Canzano: No Place Like Home in the Pac-12

Home field advantage seems to be the theme in this article.  Glad Oregon has home field advantage against UCLA, Utah and Washington.  Upcoming game against UCLA is already sold out, standing room only tickets left.  Autzen will be ROCKING!!

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

My Week 7 picks

This is one of those times (like, 6 times a year) that one wishes Autzen held 75,000 instead of 54,000.  

And it also makes it evident why UCLA'S schedule, getting 5 of their first 6 games at home (and 8 of 12 games there) is patently unfair to the rest of the Pac.   GO OREGON!

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2022 at 11:09 AM, Mic said:

This is one of those times (like, 6 times a year) that one wishes Autzen held 75,000 instead of 54,000.

If all standing room only tickets are completely sold, I believe Autzen will be over-flowing at 60,000

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 8:20 AM, NJDuck said:

If all standing room only tickets are completely sold, Autzen will be over-flowing at 60,000

... meaning if Autzen sat 75K then with standing room only tickets all sold,  >80K.

This year the Pac-12 does not have many road warrior teams... I think Oregon and USC are the exceptions at the moment. Though USC had Oregon State and ASU and didn't look too impressive in either game. 

Where Oregon struggled against a solid WSU team and escaped with a win and left no doubt who the better team was against Arizona. 

On 10/13/2022 at 2:17 PM, David Marsh said:

Where Oregon struggled against a solid WSU team and escaped with a win and left no doubt who the better team was against Arizona. 

(Oh, and that get-together (scrimmage, really) out in Atlanta.)

If UCLA can slip into Autzen and beat us (I'm assuming they will be the favorite by maybe -7?) we'd have to say that would be the most impressive road win in the Pac so far this season.  I'm expecting Oregon to make that a most difficult task to accomplish.  Hopefully impossible.  But if they manage it UCLA should see their stock soar.

I would be surprised if the UO wasn’t favored at home against a team they’re basically tied with in the rankings. 

As impressive as UCLA’s offense has been, the Ducks have been slightly statistically better.

The Ducks have had impressive separation from their opponents in all but two games this year. Both of those games were on the road.

I like their chances.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I would be surprised if the UO wasn’t favored at home against a team they’re basically tied with in the rankings. 

Oregon will get the 3 points for home field, so I'm saying the opening line will be Oregon -5.5.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

As impressive as UCLA’s offense has been, the Ducks have been slightly statistically better.

You forget KamK, the Bruins have had to 'suffer' thru all these at-home games and haven't had the opportunity to shine on another team's field.  (At this moment in time I'm not willing to use the word 'team' to describe Colorado).

Why, this is the moment they've all been (not) waiting for!  My guess, UCLA enters the game -7 pt favorites.  Unless the gamblers gain a spat of consciousness.

More people will see UCLA play live at Autzen than all their home games in LA combined. 

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2022 at 5:12 PM, 30Duck said:

Oregon will get the 3 points for home field, so I'm saying the opening line will be Oregon -5.5.

Nice call. That is exactly where it opened on FanDuel. 

One thing I find amusing is the constant refrain that the PNW and NorCal schools ‘don’t bring enough value to warrant a full share of B1G media dollars.’

They do.  The problem is that the bottom schools in the B1G are overcompensated in the deal for no other reason than that they happened to be part of a conference whose media value has skyrocketed of late, a phenomenon for which they had little impact to bring into being.  

There is no way some school making 175% of their actual media value will vote to ‘dilute’ that windfall.  Until the power schools in the B1G twist the arms of these schools to get in line, expansion is a ways off.  

And that’s a huge problem for the Ducks because, as noted earlier, adding CFP revenue onto whatever cut the Ducks get in the PAC’s new media deal, they still are ~$35MM/year short with every school in the SEC and B1G

Yikes.  

On 10/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Nice call. That is exactly where it opened on FanDuel. 

????!!!

Let's see what Vegas has to say about that - not that they would know better - but they kinda do, don't they?

Well, I'll be danged!  I just checked the vegas odds (didn't know it would be out yet) and they have Oregon at -4!  I'm more than a little surprised so maybe fan duel knows something after all.  I'd thought UCLA by -7, but what do I know?

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Add another tick for home field advantage:  Rice Eccles field certainly helped Utah best USC and I'd be willing to bet a nickel to a donut that the same thing occurred in Knoxville.  Autzen and the fans need to do the same for the Ducks against UCLA, Utah and Washington.