FishDuck Article

Midseason Report: Give Lanning an F

At midseason, a couple of bleacher bums are going to evaluate Dan Lanning. He gets an F. Quarterback Bo Nix said the same two weeks ago, and if you watch the Oregon sideline on these Chip Kelly-like romps through conference foes, you see it. Lanning gets an F — for fun. “Nix is having a blast,” a friend texted after ...

FISHDUCK.COM

At midseason, a couple of bleacher bums are going to evaluate Dan Lanning. He gets an F. Quarterback Bo Nix said the same two weeks...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Love it, welcome back Chip, watch the door on the way out.

Our new guy is fun and lethal. We can't wait for you to meet him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Drex. This article gets an F...fun read! 

So very true, Drex, football is fun again for players and fans.  I'm so thankful for Coach Lanning, his entire staff, and the talented players they brought to Oregon.

Thanks for the memories as Bob Hope would say!  Growing up in Eugene and graduating in 1972. I can understand, "The day two elderly die-hard Oregon fans sat in the rain, still believing, as the Ducks worried their way to a second straight 2-9 season."

Thank you Drex!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, winning is always more fun than losing, that's for sure.  Watching your team score TD's on 7-straight possessions back to back in games is pretty fun. Hearing Game Day's flying into town is fun too.

Seeing needless penalties isn't much fun tho.  So I guess there's up and downs - but things have definitely been more up then down.  GO OREGON!

"So welcome back, Chip. But may your flight back to L.A. be quiet and long."

And may our homecoming spoil yours.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Admit it Charles, this was a bit of "click-bait".  LOL  You got me!

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

It just feels like Dan Lanning and staff has this team and program on an upward trajectory. They have met and exceeded my expectations so far. Hearing comments from players that football is fun again is just another reason to really like these coaches. 

I sat through a few of those 2-9 seasons when I attended Oregon. We definitely struggled to be competitive. 

If it wasn’t for the rodents to the north, we may have been 1-10 a couple of those years. Beating them used to be the highlight of the season.

My, how things have changed!!

Edited by Drake

Great article. At first glance it wouldn't seem like there would be a lot of great memories involving UCLA football, but one of my all time favorite Oregon wins was one I didn't see, only hears, and it was before Jerry Allen, Ducks down by 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter come back to win, 41-40. More recently,1995, Oregon leads UCLA, 38-31, time is running out, 

• Thumbs Up 1

30Duck thank you for those memories. I was a senior in high school in Alaska when Oregon made that 41-40 comeback and read all about it because Dan Fouts had been knocked out of the game—unconscious—and came back to throw game winning TD.  

Here’s one back at ya.  October 1971, Fouts is injured and Ducks have to play USC in the Coliseum. The backup QB is 5-foot-8 Harvey Winn. Miraculously, he guides the Ducks to huge upset. 

Two days later, Monday afternoon,  I have an Econ 101 class in a PLC lecture hall. Before class, Winn comes in (had no idea he was in this class), walks down front and stands looking up at the room, as if trying to find an open seat. Someone starts clapping and soon all 100 of us join in.

I figure it happened in all of his classes that day. By the afternoon, he knew how to trigger it. 

I must say, I have been lurking for quite a while in this place, love reading the articles and everyone's comments. I am also a greybeard, grew up just outside of Eugene, going to OBD games in the '80s and suffering through. This article is spot on. Fantastic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great memories in this Pac series.  When UCLA goes to the B1G there will be fewer of these to look forward to unless O & UCLA make the decision to play one of their ooc games together.  That's highly doubtful, tho.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, Drex Heikes said:

The backup QB is 5-foot-8 Harvey Winn. Miraculously, he guides the Ducks to huge upset. 

Harvey Winn, a Duck legend for sure. Another back up QB, who did a great job in LA, Tony Graziani leads the Ducks to a win over the Trojans, 22-7, Oct.1, 1994., the first win for the Ducks over the Trojans in the Coliseum since the Harvey Winn win.

• Applause 1

On 10/18/2022 at 5:42 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Thanks, Drex. This article gets an F...fun read! 

My thoughts precisely!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2022 at 9:25 AM, Mic said:

Admit it Charles, this was a bit of "click-bait".  LOL  You got me!

Not my title...it was Drex's, but if he had an "F" in the title, and then switched to an "A-" then it would have been click-bait.  But he meant an "F!"

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2022 at 11:08 AM, ABNMoose said:

I must say, I have been lurking for quite a while in this place, love reading the articles and everyone's comments. I am also a greybeard, grew up just outside of Eugene, going to OBD games in the '80s and suffering through. This article is spot on. Fantastic. 

Well I do invite you to post your thoughts often.  Welcome!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, Drex Heikes said:

30Duck thank you for those memories. I was a senior in high school in Alaska when Oregon made that 41-40 comeback and read all about it because Dan Fouts had been knocked out of the game—unconscious—and came back to throw game winning TD.  

As I remember that furious comeback Tom Blanchard was also injured during the rally but stayed in the game to convert a third or fourth down before he came out---with a dislocated shoulder.

Hall of Fame coach Tommy Prothro decided to get the backup to Heisman Trophy winning QB Gary Beban a couple minutes of playing time late in the game.  Big mistake.