FishDuck Article

The Oregon Ducks Offense: Hitch Seam Y-Cross

OBD writer, Coach Eric Boles, takes time to give us a detailed look at the Hitch Seam Y Cross.

FISHDUCK.COM

We've taken a good look at the Oregon Ducks run game the last few weeks, but today, we're going to take a dive into their passing attack. The...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Looking for the Ducks to exploit Bruin D. They don’t give up a lot of explosion plays. They play a decent bend don't break. At least so far.

Oregon's offense has had a ton of explosion plays this year. I don't think that will change v. UCLA. To many weapons. Ducks need to score 6 in the redzone and not pull a wazzu.

Ducks played the best D in the country v. Dawgs. UCLA isn't Ga. That was first out. Oregon is much better 6 games in. Bruin will break and then break some more.

I am usually watching line play until the ball is in the air. I will look for this play. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Eric for another great analysis!  Appreciate that it was for the passing game.

You said, "Coach Dillingham forces the defense to declare their coverage through alignment."  Not only does it open the middle of the field and declare the coverage, but it gives a veteran QB like Bo easy reads as he goes thru his progressions.

Another killer aspect of spreading the defense is the running ability of Bo Nix.  Especially when the 5 defenders in the box part like the Red Sea and Bo runs!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/20/2022 at 4:42 AM, Log Haulin said:

They play a decent bend don't break. At least so far.

As long as Oregon can beat them in the red zone, something that they have had difficult with but also seem to be figuring out quite quickly, then bend but don't break defense just results in long and punishing drives for the Oregon offense. 

Could Oregon do to Chip Kelly what Stanford did to Kelly and the Ducks in 2012 (and later) by just forcing the Bruin defense to bend until they break? If the Oregon defense can limit the Bruin offense and keep them off the field then that style of football can really be the Kelly-killer.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2022 at 12:41 PM, David Marsh said:

As long as Oregon can beat them in the red zone, something that they have had difficult with but also seem to be figuring out quite quickly, then bend but don't break defense just results in long and punishing drives for the Oregon offense. 

Could Oregon do to Chip Kelly what Stanford did to Kelly and the Ducks in 2012 (and later) by just forcing the Bruin defense to bend until they break? If the Oregon defense can limit the Bruin offense and keep them off the field then that style of football can really be the Kelly-killer.  

There are a few trips to the red zone where I think they’d rather have TDs than FG, but it’s hard for me to say it’s been difficult for them. 

They’re currently ranked 13th in the nation in red zone offense and 1st in the Pac-12. 94% of their RZ trips have ended with points. They have 25 TDs and 7 FGs. 

I think what you’re pointing to is some of the FGs they’ve had to settle for due to penalties. I completely agree that it’d be great to clean that up and turn those into TDs. 

But I do believe in Oregon’s ability to score often in this game. 

Edited by Coach Eric Boles

On 10/20/2022 at 10:49 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I think what you’re pointing to is some of the FGs they’ve had to settle for due to penalties. I completely agree that it’d be great to clean that up and turn those into TDs. 

Yep that is what I was trying to get to but didn't say it clearly. 

I do feel this offensive line is going to be too much for UCLA to stop. 

Especially when Oregon can burn them with plays like the one you had today in your article that is based off a shorter throw in space. I don't think UCLA's defensive front is going to be able to break through the offensive line. Then Nix can just go on the run and pick up yards if he is flushed from the pocket. 

My favorite day of the week (other than game day) is analysis day.

Thanks coach for a great explanation. 

I sure hope we continue to score big in the redzone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great stuff coach, and it will be great fun to watch for this play.

People dwell on the negative; we got shut out of some touchdowns in the first half of the WSU game, but people forget that we only had the ball four times in the first half of the BYU game and scored on all four of them.  (24 points) Even Brock Huard admitted that was pretty efficient.

Which reminds me of what Coach Dillingham said before the season; when asked about how scoring he wants, his answer was that he wanted the offense to be efficient.  To score when we have the ball as often as possible...

Will be fun to watch!

Mr. FishDuck

Great analysis...what happens with this play if the defense is in zone coverage?