Duckdude

Is Georgia Really That Much Better?

Georgia absolutely dominated the Ducks in the first game of the season.  Is the Gap between the Nation’s No. 1 team really that vast?  Or……..was it more the case that Lanning’s Ducks just weren’t yet ready and prepared to play a quality game at that time?

What do you think?

On 10/24/2022 at 1:27 PM, Duckdude said:

Georgia absolutely dominated the Ducks in the first game of the season.  Is the Gap between the Nation’s No. 1 team really that vast?  Or……..was it more the case that Lanning’s Ducks just weren’t yet ready and prepared to play a quality game at that time?

What do you think?

Yes I think SEC defenses are that much better.  

Their defensive backs and linebackers are in a complete different league. …

Do I think we would lose 49-3 again?   NO. They could have scored 60 and that is just honesty. 

But we simply do not have the defense  to stop them.  

I still think they score in high 40’s.  But we could get 20.  About half of what we get on average in pac 12. 

Michigan crushed Ohio State last year.  
Then got embarrassed when they faced the SEC in the playoffs.  

Going to happen again.   I think Michigan beats Ohio State and gets crushed again by Georgia or Bama. 

Rose Bowl : Oregon vs Ohio State 

Edited by debbieduck

There is little doubt that Georgia is very good.

As of now if they came to Autzen the outcome of the game would be different. The Ducks are a very different team than they were a month ago. Georgia would not leave here without some scrapes and bruises.

Would we beat them? Probably not, but it would be interesting for sure.

Let’s win the pack and go to the Rose Bowl.

What you saw then is what you'll get today with GA.

What you saw then is not what'll you get today with the Ducks.

Would the Ducks win in Autzen today? Probably not but upsets due happen. 

Who knows maybe if the cards fall right there'll be a rematch in the CFP.

It's really hard for any team that's basically starting from the ground up to be as good as a mature program. How fast the program matures under Lanning is any bodies guess. So far though it seems like the teams getting better every week. But I doubt the Ducks will ever reach the level of GA since GA can recruit better players across the board.

• Great post! 1

One thing we can say, there is little chance Georgia's players, coaching staff, and fan base won't totally be overconfident if there was a rematch (even Kirby kind of dumped on the Duck players in his post game comments, not that they didn't deserve it, but I did find it a bit strange - the "DL knows he doesn't have the players we do so cut him some slack" comments). Would that make a measurable difference? Who is to say?

If there were a rematch, I think the Ducks would have a tough time defending the things Georgia did well in the opener, I don't like saying it, but I think they just present some difficulties that won't easily be solved in a rematch. BUT I think the Ducks will be more together on offense (it isn't like Oregon's OL got blown up that day); and, if Oregon is scoring some points << perhaps >> the overall dynamic of the game is different ...

• Thumbs Up 2

I think todays Ducks could hang with anyone in the country. When Dawgs played Ducks they had players in the UGA system multiple years and a coaching continuity.

The ducks had 1 position group with continuity. The O line. I could make a strong argument the O line of Oregon beat UGA front seven. Its everywhere else Oregon lost and for good reason.

New HC and staff, new QB, new WR room, new RB room. Newish D-line, aside from Sewell, newish LB room and new secondary.

This coaching staff has coached up this team at a rapid rate. How many times v. UCLA did you see Bridges get torched. Or the entire secondary for that matter. Against one of the best offenses in CFB to boot.

The only times I can remember sayin "what the..." was Flowe twice. Once when he tried to tackle ZC high and got shrugged off and the ZC TD. Flowe was out of position and took a horrible angle.

I am a homer for sure. I get it. But this Duck team is scary good. By Pac CG, at the rate of "got better " week to week, Oregon will be able to stand toe to toe with anyone. I they just might win.

RAH RAH!!

GO DUCKS!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No I don’t think the score of that first game accurately represents the difference between the two teams.  As I’ve said on another thread, I think that game was kind of a perfect storm for a disastrous start for the Ducks.  First time this and that etc…….  Also, GA played very good football that day.

IMO the biggest advantage GA has on Oregon and almost every team is talent and depth especially on defense.  There have been several games this season where GA hasn’t played very well and their depth really showed late in those games.  

I think Oregon’s offense gives them a chance to win any game.  Great scheme, great offensive line, and playmakers all over.    The way Bo is playing is incredible, and not just physically, he is making great decisions.  And I think the Ducks defense is improving every week.  They’ve greatly improved their tackling and alignment since that first game. 

What will happen if they play again?  Not sure, but I’m confident it would not resemble the game played on Sept. 3.  Honestly, I think if GA plays well, and specifically if Bennet plays well,  they probably take care of business against Oregon.  On the other hand, if GA plays like they did against Mizzou or Kent St., Oregon would win and probably convincingly.  

As stated earlier, Oregon’s offense would give them a chance to win against anyone.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2022 at 1:27 PM, Duckdude said:

What do you think?

If they played this Saturday I would say Georgia has the edge, our defense still has a long way to come but I do think it would become a shootout type of game. Oregon did move the ball rather well against Georgia but we couldn't finish drives. 

Georgia would probably win because they'd get one or two more stops on our offense and our defense, but it wouldn't look anywhere near as lopsided as it was to start the year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I always thought it would take 5 or 6 games under the new staff, and offensive and defensive schemes for the team to come together. This is a different team than the one that took the field in Atlanta.

They are confident and playing good football. 

This team deserves credit for what they have done to turn their season around. They have a lot of football left to play. No need to compare them right now.

If they get a chance to play one of the top teams in a bowl game, it is because they deserve it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I will stand by my prior post on this thread…

IMHO, if Ducks go 12-1, they’re in the playoffs. 

A) No team has gone undefeated in the Pac since CK and LaMike. The committee knows and appreciates this degree of difficulty (i.e. 9 conf games).

B) The Ducks would have 3 top-15 wins (ucla + utah + ucla/usc/utah) if they won out. 

C) The committee evaluates the “quality” of a loss, and the qualitative evaluation includes all the extenuating circumstances. 

D) Most importantly, the committee knows this is entertainment. Ducks can only make it as #4, and a Duck-Dawg rematch would prob get more eyeballs than a lot of Natty matchups. While they would never admit it, they’re human. 

Of course, the counterpoint is that if all 4 other P5s have undefeated champs, Ducks are out. But I think the likelihood of that is less than the Ducks winning out.

The voters have been giving the Pac some love this year, and I think a Pac champ w a 12-game winning streak gets the nod over any 1-loss P5 runner-up. 

• Cool 1