Glenn

... And Don't Forget Our Stellar Place Kicker!

With all the excitement going on in Eugene, it's important that we don't overlook what is often critical on a championship team - a rock solid place kicker.  It's been a while since we've seen 'perfect stats' (8/8 FG, 37/37 PAT) this late in the season, and there's a case to be made for Camden Lewis as one of the most improved players on the squad.  Although it could be argued that we 'haven't needed him to win a game' so far this year, we likely will as we go down the stretch.  

We had the pleasure to visit with Cam during pre-game at the UCLA contest, and he was calm, engaging and generally a really nice young man.  Someone we all can root for...  

Go Ducks!  ..and Go Camden Lewis - thanks for all the hard off-season work... we're lucky to have you here!

E43CC7D7-CDE8-42DF-8D76-14135FB00E0D.jpeg

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Great point, and so true.  I am very happy for him and the team that he has turned into such a reliable resource.  We will need him at crunch time in the future, and technically--he kicked the wining points versus Washington State this year too.  (44-41)

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

He was the one responsible, more than anyone else on the field, for perfectly executing the on side kick and recovery that ultimately set the tone for the rest of the game.

Well done, indeed!

On 10/25/2022 at 12:33 PM, woundedknees said:

He was the one responsible, more than anyone else on the field, for perfectly executing the on side kick and recovery that ultimately set the tone for the rest of the game.

Well done, indeed!

I think that was Andrew Boyle.  Probably the best executed onside kick I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Yes, it was Andrew Boyle who executed the on-side kick...perfection on execution!

• Applause 1

In the miraculous comeback at UCLA in the 1970s...Coach Ken Woody was the kicker and did the same thing.  Kicked the onside perfect, and recovered it himself.  That is one time I love history repeating!

Ken Woody kicking the winning field goal against Washington, under the hold of John Harrington, Joey's father.  How cool is that?

Ken Woody kicking the win at Washington_Register-Guard.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It is nice to know Cam can make the "gimme" FGs, but out of the 8 FGs this season, he only has 3 longer than 30 yards.

For his career he is 8-11 from 30-39, and 7-11 from 40-39.  I hope this is building up his confidence in himself.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In the miraculous comeback at UCLA in the 1970s...Coach Ken Woody was the kicker and did the same thing.  Kicked the onside perfect, and recovered it himself.  That is one time I love history repeating!

Interesting.  I knew about the onside kick but didn't know who the kicker was, certainly didn't know who recovered it.  Good info, thanks.

Update: Camden is now #2 in the FBS for PATs.

I don't remember seeing one kick that wasn't very close to being right down the middle.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/25/2022 at 9:36 AM, Glenn said:

With all the excitement going on in Eugene, it's important that we don't overlook what is often critical on a championship team - a rock solid place kicker.  It's been a while since we've seen 'perfect stats' (8/8 FG, 37/37 PAT) this late in the season, and there's a case to be made for Camden Lewis as one of the most improved players on the squad.  Although it could be argued that we 'haven't needed him to win a game' so far this year, we likely will as we go down the stretch.  

We had the pleasure to visit with Cam during pre-game at the UCLA contest, and he was calm, engaging and generally a really nice young man.  Someone we all can root for...  

Go Ducks!  ..and Go Camden Lewis - thanks for all the hard off-season work... we're lucky to have you here!

E43CC7D7-CDE8-42DF-8D76-14135FB00E0D.jpeg

Thanks for that reminder.  Oregon does not, or I should say, has not had to rely on his foot to win games this year but the day is coming where it could make the difference against a really good team that holds Oregon to under 30 and scores against us like we score against them.