NJDuck

Canzano: Oregon Ducks Fueled Up on Dan Lanning

Canzano: "I know, it's early in his tenure.  But at some point, some football coach is going to wise up and make the University of Oregon his forever place."  Canzano also mentioned, "UO has deep resources, amazing facilities and is well positioned in a Power Five conference."  

We have great fan support.  Could Dan Lanning see himself as that coach to make Oregon his forever home?  We can only hope.

Go Ducks, Fly High!

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Have the Ducks found their forever coach?

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think this is a great article for "why not" here at Oregon?   Everybody would win!

Lanning and the Defense_Pac12 Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon is a place where Lanning can really make a name for himself and do something special. Oregon wants a National Championship in football as we don't have one so he could be the first to bring it to Oregon and create a dynasty at Oregon. He goes to Alabama (when Saban retires) or any SEC school really he is just another coach who needs to fulfill the promise of a National Championship. 

At Oregon he can fulfill the DREAM of a National Championship. 

Also at Oregon he gets to build his program the way he wants to build it for the long run. Jumping ship means he has to start that process all over. Its a major draw to those who want the stability but isn't for those looking for the next job. It's also a lot more difficult to create sustained success rather than running when things start to go bad and starting over somewhere else. 

There are two reasons why Saban will never leave Bama... the money is incredible and he has built a program that is completely his and going somewhere else is starting over. 

For Oregon to hold onto Lanning it will be making sure he is paid well and getting him to buy into his program to the extent that moving doesn't look desirable. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I agree with John Canzano.  Here's hoping a good coach and fantastic man like Dan Lanning finds Oregon to be "home"!

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Heard this same discussion in January 2020. 

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1

Superior performance is when you are only 5 games into the season and your competition is hoping you will find a reason to leave soon.

Edited by Chas Man
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting comments from Mario in that column. I give him credit for "helping to rebuild the brand" after Slick Willie with recruiting but I've seen a couple of other comments from him and some media folks giving him credit for what's happening THIS year. It's very infuriating. The reality is that if he is still here Nix, Irving, Dillingham, Lupoi I  think is DC's last name, and on and on wouldn't have even of thought about coming here. We probably would have lost other players to portal. Once again his pride won't let him acknowledge that a brand new 1st year coach is getting better results from his players in 7 games than Mario did in 5 years.

As for Lanning, great story about what seems like a genuine dude. I don't know how long he stays. I don't think there is forever in sports. But I'm going to enjoy the ride and be thankful for him and to him for making Duck football fun again for everyone including his players.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mario said he took over a 4-8 program at Oregon when being interviewed by Miami reporters this week. I assume if Herbert had not gotten injured Taggart would have won 10 games instead of 7 before Mario took over.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2022 at 1:18 PM, 12Duck72 said:

Interesting comments from Mario in that column. I give him credit for "helping to rebuild the brand" after Slick Willie with recruiting but I've seen a couple of other comments from him and some media folks giving him credit for what's happening THIS year. It's very infuriating. The reality is that if he is still here Nix, Irving, Dillingham, Lupoi I  think is DC's last name, and on and on wouldn't have even of thought about coming here. We probably would have lost other players to portal. Once again his pride won't let him acknowledge that a brand new 1st year coach is getting better results from his players in 7 games than Mario did in 5 years.

MariØ is in full spin mode to try and salvage his reputation.  As he grasps for straws, he sees his old squad winning and he wants some cred for himself.   Shallow and self-serving, reeking of desperation and not a good look overall.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not just the fans enamored with Lanning, ask the team...

Dan Lanning's attention to detail has impressed his players. Quarterback Bo Nix praised his head coach for improving the team's understanding of situational football.

Friday practices each week are devoted to dealing with obscure situations, and frequent situational meetings are held as well. There's no guarantee

these sorts of things come to play on Saturdays, but if they do, Nix is confident in the team's preparation to take them head on.

The team has bought in to Lanning and speaks highly of his coaching...

247SPORTS.COM

Bo Nix praises team's preparation in variety of in-game situations

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, Chas Man said:

Superior performance is when you are only 5 games into the season and your competition is hoping you will find a reason to leave soon.

Barring that, when your "competition bolts for more 'lugubrious climes" because it's soooo embarrassing to share a piece of the pie with lowly Oregon...

On 10/25/2022 at 1:27 PM, Flaps2 said:

Mario said he took over a 4-8 program at Oregon when being interviewed by Miami reporters this week. I assume if Herbert had not gotten injured Taggart would have won 10 games instead of 7 before Mario took over.

Yeah....I saw that too.  It seems like he is stretching the truth a little with that comment.  Yes, he was on staff after the 4-8 year, but not the guy in charge.  Oregon was putting up 50ppg before Herbert got hurt in Taggart's offense.  I am not sure they would have made it to 10 wins (maybe), but they certainly would have had more than 7.

With Herbert healthy, he didn't really raise the bar very much with the 9 win performance in 2018. Yet somehow he gets all the credit for rebuilding the program.   

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

That story really hit home for me. I grew up in Canby, and Dan Lanning insisted on paying the gas bill for those Canby kids who had driven to Autzen for the game.  I know I would have been just as wide-eyed as those kids must have been when that happened. Hell, I'd probably be just as wide-eyed at my current age of 52. He's a humble guy who treats people like people, and he's a hell of a coach. I sure do hope he does make Oregon his forever home. 

• Go Ducks! 2