Smith72

Amazon Exec Very Interested in College Football

Smith72, thanks for posting the Wilner article. For us fans, the elephant in the room is the upcoming media rights package. It feels like these on going negotiations are just crswling along. Or going nowhere!

Certainly thats not the case. This is an area where GK has experience and should be a strength for the PAC 10. As Wilner suggests the mix between networks, cable and streaming could most benefit the PAC 10. Time will tell......

My concern still is and always will be the arrogant presidents and chancellors standing in the way. Remember, Direct TV wanted to carry the PAC 12 network. The 10 fools didnt like the dollars that the cable giant was offering. They felt the PAC 12 network would out perform those dollars. Well how did that work out?

Canzano reported that his contact, a former exec in the business, stated that these negotiations for streaming are very complex and take a ton of time, hence why we have not heard anything.  It can go as long as another couple of months before things are ironed out.

Something I have to ask myself..."do we need the same revenue amount as the B1G members?"  The answer is no, if we can fund our sports and objectives on the new media/streaming contract.  The Mountain West, for example, will receive a fraction of what we are receiving and will survive and play on.  The Big-12 will not have revenues like the big two, but they will survive.

Since I do not know the inner working of the athletic budget at Oregon, what Mullens plans are, what Phil is going to leave us later, etc....it is hard to know what it takes to thrive.

But I do feel at this time that when addressing all the money of the B1G would offer, yet considering the travel, impact to fellow Pac-12 members, busted partnerships and traditions...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Clearly streaming is the lynchpin of the pending TV deal, if for no other reason that it means bringing in a second bidder.  Without Amazon (or Apple) ESPN lowballs us and we really don't have much recourse.

That said Amazon execs are no dummies, so they're unlikely to throw out a ridiculous amount just get some college football content, especially with a depleted Pac-12.  We're not the NFL.

Will they overpay some as an investment in the future?  I sure hope so, but we've certainly got to temper our expectations, we're going to get nowhere near what the B1G just got.

Edited by noDucknewby

I saw a graphic here on the forum that showed that the UO has the most viewers in the west by far. More than either USC or UCLA. I think the UO being a national brand and not just a small NW TV market should be a big factor in a nice streaming deal.

• Like 1

I know 40 million isn't chump change, but I don't want to just survive.  I want to thrive.  If B1G TEN and SEC essentially are making double the money as everybody else, the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12 won't really be competing with them in football and basketball for very long.  

If for some reason it becomes the B1G TEN and SEC in football and basketball, I'm not going to care and won't watch any of those games.  Just like I don't want FCS games.  I could be in the minority, but if you have apathy in 50% of the country, those conferences will eventually lose TV numbers.  

In my opinion, it makes sense for the B1G TEN and SEC not to completely leave behind the ACC, Pac 12 or Big 12.  Doubling money for eternity will leave everybody behind.

I too was pleasantly surprised to see UO/UCLA take the lion’s share of eyeballs.  I really think a good chunk people just want to watch good football games regardless of conference.  And I think that is also a sign that we shouldn’t be afraid to try to own the 1pm PST slot instead of the 7:30 window.  

It occurred to me yesterday that my disbelief that the media markets on the west coast aren’t valuable unless they are used to fill the late window was underpinned by my conflating economic power with raw population.  The west coast is far and away the biggest economic engine in the US followed by the east coast (largely due to NYC).  But we don’t have huge population areas outside of LA.  Kinda hard to wrap the mind around 

As to streaming I was curious as to others’ experience on this.  We cut the cord recently and use Hulu++ (comes with ESPN premium and conference networks).  We also have Prime and Apple+.  I get confused when people scoff at online as some unreliable or crazy platform.  After all, Netflix is a heavily used service and it is in no way different than Hulu++ or Apple+

So, I love the ease of switching from game to game as well has having a ton of games to choose from

Anyone here also cut the cord or are skeptical of streaming?

Edited by CalBear95