Charles Fischer

Forget About Notre Dame Joining the B1G...

Many reports have parties watching to see what Notre Dame does once a number of contracts are announced, thus perhaps then they will decide to join the B1G.

But extraordinary FishDuck Editor Bob Rodes, (who is a big ND fan) explained to me--there are two major factors that most of us are not aware of. 

1) If Notre Dame joins any conference in football....it has to be the ACC, as their contract states that and it runs until 2035.  (Whew!)

2) There are significant risks to the 'Irish joining the B1G, in that new policy in the future could violate their stances on some religious grounds. In view of some of the recent political/religious battles taking place in the courts and legislatures--I would view this as "when" those disagreements between the conference and the 'Irish would occur, not "if."

3) When you consider the flush position they are in with a rumored upcoming 75 million TV contract for home games at renewal...the risk is not worth the reward for joining the B1G, not to mention legal costs with the ACC.

They have the money and their independence, so why would they take on those additional problems when financially--they will do just fine?  

For that reason it helps us with the whole "if we join the B1G," discussion.  I would not count on Notre Dame being a part of the rumored "20 Team B1G."

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/4/2022 at 6:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

They have the money and their independence, so why would they take on those additional problems when financially--they will do just fine?  

And with the CFP expansion the way it is they have plenty of access to the playoff so that is not a concern for them either. 

I'm also sure that they get a bigger cut of the playoff proceeds than a team that is a full conference member. 

Now ... NDs biggest problem would seem to be winning football games. 

On 11/4/2022 at 6:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

1) If Notre Dame joins any conference in football....it has to be the ACC, as their contract states that and it runs until 2035.  (Whew!)

image.jpeg

As regards 1) above, Charles, what contract is that?  And, as regards the last point: Exactly.

In my humble and unknowledgeable opinion, it is precisely this (money and independence) that has enabled ND to do exactly what they please for so many years that everyone expects and accepts  it.  It's also why (imho) so many fans are getting sick of 'em.  But I could be all wet on that.  

Independents should not be allowed into the CFB Playoffs.  Imagine an 'Independent' expecting to play in the Super Bowl or World Series after setting their own schedules with the opponents where & when they want!.  Not even ND deserves that.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/4/2022 at 9:09 PM, Mic said:

1) above, Charles, what contract is that?  And, as regards the last point: Exactly.

The contract they have with the ACC for playing five games a year in football with the ACC conference.  (They played and beat ranked Syracuse last week, and play Clemson this week)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Thanks 2

Mr. FishDuck

Wow I  did not know about the 5-game contract with the ACC. Can they simply become a member for football and retain their financial contract apart from the conference pie?  Being able to play for a conference championship could be in ND's interests with respect to seeding in the coming 12-team playoff format.

Totally agree.   Watching NBC's coverage of ND's big win tonight and 2 years ago over Clemson, especially after the games - the time they alloted to showing the crowd rushing the field, it's evident that NBC values and needs this contract to compete.   So I think ND will get a big contract all by themselves. If so, why bother joining any conference?

BTW, my daughter was in that crowd both times, pretty lucky for her 4 years there.   I am convinced that she brought them the luck though, LOL...

On 11/5/2022 at 10:17 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Wow I  did not know about the 5-game contract with the ACC. Can they simply become a member for football and retain their financial contract apart from the conference pie?  Being able to play for a conference championship could be in ND's interests with respect to seeding in the coming 12-team playoff format.

I think all teams, Navy and others included, but especially ND should be in some conference or another to be considered for CFB Playoffs because otherwise they're just bringing wins to the table and not a championship of anything.  How is that fair to teams that have to wade thru thought conferences AND win their Conference Tourney?  It isn't, imo.  ND has had their cake and been eating it far too long already.  Time to stop.

• Applause 1