FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: Still Hung Up on Georgia Loss? Get Over It

After the No. 8 Oregon Ducks‘ 49-10 victory over the Colorado Buffaloes on Saturday at Folsom Field, the conversation amongst talking heads and fans inevitably veers toward the College Football Playoff. What are Oregon’s chances of making it to the four-team playoff this year? The biggest rock in the Ducks’ shoe remains their only loss to No. 3 Georgia in ...

FISHDUCK.COM

After the No. 8 Oregon Ducks' 49-10 victory over the Colorado Buffaloes on Saturday at Folsom Field, the conversation amongst talking heads...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Jordan, as always, thank you for sharing your  positive thoughts on our OBD's. I  agree with you and many others that the Ducks have made a solid case for the CFP committee to put the Georgia beatdown im the rearview mirror.

IMHO, Jordan, i believe when the 1st CFP rankings came out the committee already had felt the Ducks were a different, better and CFP worthy team. Placing the 1 loss Ducks just behind a 1 loss Bama spoke volumes.

Now the SEC bias is the only thing that will hold the Ducks back. If the Vols and LSU are ranked higher than the Ducks on Tuesday night that may be telling. The CFP should have the rankings in this order.

1. Georgia

2. Michigan

3. tOSU

4. TCU (Go Texas)

5. Oregon

6. Tennessee

7. LSU

However, the Vols and Tigers could be placed ahead of the Ducks, if the SEC bias prevents sacrilege by the Committee. We shall see.

But what do I know? We are all just guessing, sharing and having fun. Nothing matters if the Ducks fail to pound the butt sniffing, leg lifting and prowess spouting huskies.

GO DUCKS!

On 11/6/2022 at 8:19 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Jordan, as always, thank you for sharing your  positive thoughts on our OBD's. I  agree with you and many others that the Ducks have made a solid case for the CFP committee to put the Georgia beatdown im the rearview mirror.

IMHO, Jordan, i believe when the 1st CFP rankings came out the committee already had felt the Ducks were a different, better and CFP worthy team. Placing the 1 loss Ducks just behind a 1 loss Bama spoke volumes.

Now the SEC bias is the only thing that will hold the Ducks back. If the Vols and LSU are ranked higher than the Ducks on Tuesday night that may be telling. The CFP should have the rankings in this order.

1. Georgia

2. Michigan

3. tOSU

4. TCU (Go Texas)

5. Oregon

6. Tennessee

7. LSU

However, the Vols and Tigers could be placed ahead of the Ducks, if the SEC bias prevents sacrilege by the Committee. We shall see.

But what do I know? We are all just guessing, sharing and having fun. Nothing matters if the Ducks fail to pound the butt sniffing, leg lifting and prowess spouting huskies.

GO DUCKS!

I would not be the least bit surprised if the committee just bumped LSU and Ole Miss ahead of Oregon and USC and bumped us both back to 9 and 10. I think it could look like this.

1. UGA

2. Michigan 

3. An Ohio college

4. Tennessee 

5. LSU

6. Ole Miss (Bama needs a big win next week to make LSU’s win over them look even more spectacular).

7. Bama

8. TCU

9. Oregon

10. USC

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

The next three games are going to be tough, but only one will be on the road, against the rodents. Utah, and the dawgs have to come to Autzen and that will be an added layer of difficulty.

I would say Georgia better keep their head in the game. They have two tough road games ahead. Oregon has two home games. My bet is Georgia struggles more than Oregon. 

I will agree none of the next three games will be gimmes. The best scenario may be to have another tight game to sharpen the coaches and players for the probable 4th game.

Good weekend for the Ducks!  Clemson and Bama going down is huge.   I don’t think the committee will drop TN below the Ducks, but I do think Oregon moves up to six.  Pretty good place to be.  I don’t see TCU winning out and UM and tOSU still have to play.  If the Ducks win out and win the Pac, I like their chances to get in the playoff. It’s certainly not a given, but it’s certainly possible.  Things look much better now than they did in September.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

SoGaDawg, It was certainly nice to see the real Dawgs show up and play like they did against our Ducks.

I am not saying The Dawgs played down to lesser competition. Let's say they brought their energy and A plus game to the Ducks and Vols game. Kirby probably has his hands full with some players getting complacent at times.

However, as much as the Ducks have improved, well I am not looking forward to any rematch with The Dawgs. Our Defense will still have no answer for their offense. And I dont see the Ducks getting more than 24 points, if that much at all.

GO DUCKS, GO DAWGS, just win them one game at a time.

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

One thing about the Ducks game with Georgia that I seldom see mentioned is that the Ducks were playing a defense new to them that Georgia had played against in practice for at least as long as Dan Lanning was theier OC.

Another is that the Oregon coaching staff was working together in a game circumstance for the first time, ever.

The latter point has been cured.  The former will remain should the Ducks face those Dawgs again.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To me, anything short of 12-1 conference champion Ducks and an invite to the CFP will be disappointing. Anything short of a NY invite for Nix would also be disappointing. 

A Rose Bowl showing wouldn't be a total failure. It would be a great cornerstone for Lanning as he continues his build of the Ducks and hits the recruiting trail for 23' and beyond.

I want that rematch with Dawgs, period! Win or lose, I want the Ducks to get into CFP and put the fear into Kirby and the Dawgs. I want Kirby to walk away thinking "wow, thats a great Duck team".

I think it was Nevada Dawg who came here after Lanning hire and told us how good Lanning was as a coach and a man. At this point ND has been 100% right about DL.

Lanning has been nothing short of spectacular in navigating this Duck season. Lanning beat some good teams (BYU, WSU, UCLA). Seems to have broke them in ways that carried over into their season, exception being UCLA.

Oregon is good, really good. I would love to see them have a chance at UGA. Just keep winning. Fusky up next. Lets pound them into the ground. Send them back to Seattle broken.

Love this Duck progr'm. Go Ducks!

On 11/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, Log Haulin said:

To me, anything short of 12-1 conference champion Ducks and an invite to the CFP will be disappointing. Anything short of a NY invite for Nix would also be disappointing. 

A Rose Bowl showing wouldn't be a total failure. It would be a great cornerstone for Lanning as he continues his build of the Ducks and hits the recruiting trail for 23' and beyond.

I want that rematch with Dawgs, period! Win or lose, I want the Ducks to get into CFP and put the fear into Kirby and the Dawgs. I want Kirby to walk away thinking "wow, thats a great Duck team".

I think it was Nevada Dawg who came here after Lanning hire and told us how good Lanning was as a coach and a man. At this point ND has been 100% right about DL.

Lanning has been nothing short of spectacular in navigating this Duck season. Lanning beat some good teams (BYU, WSU, UCLA). Seems to have broke them in ways that carried over into their season, exception being UCLA.

Oregon is good, really good. I would love to see them have a chance at UGA. Just keep winning. Fusky up next. Lets pound them into the ground. Send them back to Seattle broken.

Love this Duck progr'm. Go Ducks!

Yeah, if Nix keeps playing anywhere close to how he has been he should at the very least get invited to NY.  If not, I’m absolutely calling BS.  He he keeps playing the way he has, I think he might actually win the heisman.  

• Like 1

The SEC is so hard to read this year because Alabama is an enigma. 

They barely beat TX in Austin even though they faced a second string QB and TX has been inconsistent after that game.  

They lose to TN on the road because of bad clock management by Saban.  

TN mauls LSU at LSU.  LSU then beats the Tide at home in OT. 

So, that suggests a lot of parity.  The question is whether these are all dominant teams that all deserve top 10 rankings or being spread out across the top 15. 

I have zero idea.  

That’s why the CFP rankings are a total crapshoot 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:48 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

SoGaDawg, It was certainly nice to see the real Dawgs show up and play like they did against our Ducks.

I am not saying The Dawgs played down to lesser competition. Let's say they brought their energy and A plus game to the Ducks and Vols game. Kirby probably has his hands full with some players getting complacent at times.

However, as much as the Ducks have improved, well I am not looking forward to any rematch with The Dawgs. Our Defense will still have no answer for their offense. And I dont see the Ducks getting more than 24 points, if that much at all.

GO DUCKS, GO DAWGS, just win them one game at a time.

Yeah, I honestly think if GA plays to potential they will likely beat anyone, but they don’t always play that way.  No team is unbeatable, but GA is very good.  The amount of talent and depth really gives GA an edge on most teams.  We have two tough road games coming up, if we aren’t up for those games Miss St and Kentucky are both capable of an upset.  

Gotta say I’m really excited about the Dawgs  and the Ducks!  I think the Ducks have a good shot at making the playoff.  If so, and the Dawgs don’t falter down the stretch, that rematch would absolutely be must see TV!  I would be extremely happy if the Ducks and Dawgs played for the title.  I’d be very nervous also.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I love the Ducks and I drink as much Duck Homer Ground Fresh Kool-Aid as possible, however, the Ducks D has some solid "holes" in scheme and experience that Stetson and those tight end super freaks will exploit.

As long as the Dawg D is on form then the Ducks will be playing from behind. That is not the Ducks strength. The Duck offense is impressive and piling up points against opponents with weaker defenses than the Dawgs. Hec, the Vols were piling up points, too.......until they faced the Dawgs and that nasty talented D.

I hope our Ducks run the table. Their SOS the next 3 games far surpasses the 3 SEC cupcakes the Vols play. That should be enough to leap frog the Vols and whoever loses between UM vs tOSU. Then a win in the PAC title game against a top 10 ranked uscuck or uclasuck will propel the Ducks into the top 4.

With a TCU loss Ducks could hit the top 3 spot. This Duck team can beat either tOSU or Michigan. If the Dawgs do their part then the Ducks will get the rematch in the Natty.

That would be exciting, for sure. I just don't have to be excited about being the last team standing in the way of a Dawg repeat. It wont be like playing Colorado, Arizona or Stanford. It will be like playing the defending national champions......again!

Make it happen Ducks and Dawgs!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 8:10 AM, Log Haulin said:

Yep I did tell you that you'd come to  love Lanning and will add that I hope that the Ducks gain a rematch with the Dawgs, for  several reasons. I have always been a closet  Ducks fan and am a Lanning fan. The playoffs are still far from certain, even if the Ducks win out--lots have to happen. From my selfish perspective as a Dawg fan and no disrespect intended, I'd rather face the Ducks in the playoffs than the Vols again.

Now that last sentence ought to expose me to some shots from the Ducks fan base, but without an intersectional resume other than 49-3, I really have no basis for knowing how good the Ducks really are. I do think that  on a neutral field (as in the playoffs) they are even money to take down either Michigan or Ohio State who have no intersectional resume either.  Ohio State did beat ND in game one at home, but like Oregon, ND has improved mucho since September.