NJDuck

Canzano: Oregon Ducks Have a Path to Playoff

Canzano: "The selection committee may never forget the 46-point loss to Georgia (9-0), but I think it wants to forgive it. Oregon has ample opportunity to give the committee that chance."

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

So does USC...

Oregon and Tennessee are nearly tide in ranking points at #5 and #6 right now. The UO may end the year playing four straight ranked teams if the Beavs climb back in the rankings. This should put a lot of weight to their strength of schedule. When it's all said and done, if they end up running the table, I see them finishing 3rd if TCU loses or 4th if they don't.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:21 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Oregon and Tennessee are nearly tide in ranking points at #5 and #6 right now. The UO may end the year playing four straight ranked teams if the Beavs climb back in the rankings. This should put a lot of weight to their strength of schedule. When it's all said and done, if they end up running the table, I see them finishing 3rd if TCU loses or 4th if they don't.

I agree.  Oregon needs to continue to win all the remaining games and Pac-12 championship.  Comparing the remaining schedule Oregon will leap frog Tennessee due to the strength of schedule.  Plus, Oregon will would be conference champion and Tennessee will not win their division or go to the SEC championship.

Of course this is just thoughts we all have.  Oregon still needs to win out.  Utah is getting healthy again.  Glad the Ducks get Washington and Utah at home.  Will be hard to get tickets to the OSU game.  

Canzano, while assessing USC's path to the Playoffs mentions this:

"You can argue that USC’s path is cleaner than Oregon’s because it doesn’t involve making anyone forget a high-profile blowout loss. But I’m still looking for a signature win by the Trojans."

No, but they do have a loss - to Utah, by one point.  So, is a loss in week 7, followed by a weak showing against Arizona after a bye week for preparation, better than Oregon's loss to Defending National Champion Georgia, in Atlanta followed by an 8 game win streak by blowout margins (sans one game on the road to WSU) ?

• Thumbs Up 1

OBD definitely have a legit shot at the CFP.  That being said, all they can do is control what they can control which is win out (yes I'm stating the obvious).  There are head-to-head matchups between teams and inter-conference play in the top 5-6 that will definitely affect standings depending on who wins/loses, so crossing my fingers but staying focused on the immediate objective: spank the Fuskies!

Edited by kirklandduck

Whoa!  (She is on the Playoff Show on Tuesdays)

Mr. FishDuck

Pathway to Playoffs?  

Win Out.  That's it.  The only pathway Oregon has and the only one they need.  Win Out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2022 at 7:37 AM, NJDuck said:

Comparing the remaining schedule Oregon will leap frog Tennessee due to the strength of schedule.  Plus, Oregon will would be conference champion and Tennessee will not win their division or go to the SEC championship.

My own opinion is that Oregon will not leapfrog 1-loss Tennessee on strength of schedule. Also, Alabama went to the playoffs in 2017 when they did not win their division or play in the SEC  Championship. Oregon would have an argument for inclusion should they win the PAC-12, but I'd bet they are not getting there by displacing a 1-loss Tennessee.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:32 AM, Mic said:

Pathway to Playoffs?  

Win Out.  That's it.  The only pathway Oregon has and the only one they need.  Win Out.

Yep. Everything else is just cogitation, rumination, speculation and gesticulation.

• Haha 3

It will be a great debate if Tennessee and Oregon win out and if they are fighting for 1 spot.  Tennessee will have played against LSU, Alabama, UGA and maybe Kentucky ranked in the final CFP.  Ducks will have played against UCLA, Utah, the Pac 12 champ game and maybe OSU/UW ranked in the final CFP. 

Oregon's opponents have played against more P5 schools than Tennessee's opponents.  Tennessee had 3 cupcake games, while Oregon only had one.  Ducks also finish the season playing a much more difficult schedule than Tennessee.  Plus, in the CFP guidelines, they are supposed to take into account a conference championship.

Non-conference champions:

2016:  tOSU 11-1             Conference champions: Penn St. 11-2, Oklahoma 10-2

2017: Alabama 11-1       Conference champions: tOSU 11-2, USC 11-2

2018: Notre Dame 12-0  Conference champions: tOSU 12-1, Washington 10-3

2020: Notre Dame 10-1  Conference champions: Oklahoma 8-2, Oregon 4-2

2021: UGA 12-1                Conference champions: Baylor 11-2, Utah 10-3, Pitt 11-2

A 1 loss nonconference champion has never beaten out a 1 loss conference champion.  3 weeks left in the regular season and then the conference championship.  So, much time for chaos to happen.

Team Score Record vs P5 schools Any remaining non P5 games   Team Score Record vs P5 schools Any remaining non P5 games
Ball State 59-10 0-1 All   UGA 3-49 7-0 none
Pitt 34-27 3-4 none   E WA 70-14 0-2 all
Akron 63-6 0-2 All   BYU 41-20 1-5 one
Florida 38-33 3-4 none   WSU 44-41 3-4 none
LSU 40-13 4-2 One   Stanford 45-27 2-6 none
Alabama 52-49 5-2 One   Arizona 49-22 1-6 none
UT Martin 65-24 0-1 All   UCLA 45-30 5-1 none
Kentucky 44-6 3-3 none   Cal 42-24 1-6 none
UGA 13-27 7-0 none   Colorado 49-10 1-8 none
    25-19         21-38  
Missouri   2-5 one   UW   5-2 none
South Carolina   3-3 none   Utah   5-2 none