Charles Fischer

Portal Losses "Not Surprising," and Encouraged

Of the 11 players who have announced leaving thus far--none were surprises to the coaching staff.  (From another site a day and a half ago) Most were told how unrealistic it is for them to play much in 2023, and thus Lanning is making room.

Before we become frustrated with a player or two who we wanted to remain--there are apparently other issues involved with some players, but again--only the coaches know the full truth as we are not there.

In another thread it was reported (Post No. 40) that only 5% of the total snaps in the season had these 11 players in them.  Not missing much, and 5% can/will be easily replaced. Significant roster turnover will be the norm now, and I would not be surprised if some of the transfers have a "fit" issue with the offense or defense.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

For me the report of total snaps played (even when accounting for injuries) was a surprise.  I guess it shows us how stocked and loaded Oregon was at many of those positions.  O just needs to get even better players, if possible, at all the positions to move to that next elusive level of the CFP field, playoff expansion or not.  The news on the recruiting side is pretty encouraging so far.

Good point Charles.

Flowe is the one that probably frustrates most of us, imho. He was probably primed to step into Sewell's NFL vacated spot. But then again, maybe Lanning et al know something we don't. His 2 years of lost development truly hurts him. Maybe he can find his way somewhere else (The U of Colorado Neon Slick Willies perhaps).

It was interesting to me why so many DL/Edge players went into the portal. At first I thought it was a worrying trend but it all seems well thought out.

All recruited by the Cristobal staff, they really must not be a fit for Lanning's scheme. Looking at who was brought in last year by DL and Lupoi for the middle of the D-line (Taki, Rogers and Riley), big bruisers plugging the gaps to stop the run seems to have worked for the most part. I suppose the next step is recruiting and/or getting transfers that fit the fast and aggressive edge players Lanning had at Georgia and wants for Oregon. Ones that can get to the QB and create havoc. 

Although this leaves the Ducks with a bit of a bare cupboard for the bowl game, it seems the coaches are working the long term.

• Thumbs Up 1

None of these transfers are particularly surprising to me, with maybe the exception of Flowe. Then again, I was generally disappointed with the lack of impact he had on our defense in the first half of the season. Then, his playing time shrank late in the season. I'm far from being a competent analyst of defensive schemes, but I know that size, speed and quickness are of little value if a player can't play effectively within a team's designed defensive plan. Maybe there's a connection there?  Anyone? Anyone?

Last year, when players like Pittman transferred out from Cristobal's program, I found it alarming. I felt players were recognizing what we fans were also seeing: a boring, sluggish offense. 

This year, when players transfer out, I feel differently. Frankly, I'm buying what Lanning is selling. I believe in the guy's sincerity. I assume he's had a heart-to-heart discussion with each of these guys.

And, after this next recruiting cycle, I think we'll have a better idea of whether or not he's recruiting a different "kind" of athlete than Mario did. Certainly, that'll be a difficult thing to identify right away, but it should become evident over time. My hope would be that he would be able to recruit better athletes than teams like OSU and Utah bring in, and then have them perform as well as a unit as Willingham and Smith have done with their athletes.

I wouldn't bet against him. And, hey, we got a pretty good transfer from Colorado this year, sounds like there'll be 60 or 70 of his former teammates ripe for the picking in a week or so...

Something to go along on the positive outlook for the bowl game.  "Gonzalez is declaring for the NFL Draft and not planning to play, and the same is expected for DE D.J. Johnson. However, aside from those two, the Ducks may be in the clear."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning offered optimism on the opt-out front for Oregon’s bowl game against North Carolina.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, NJDuck said:

Something to go along on the positive outlook for the bowl game.  "Gonzalez is declaring for the NFL Draft and not planning to play, and the same is expected for DE D.J. Johnson. However, aside from those two, the Ducks may be in the clear."

Speaking of D.J. did anything ever come out about what sort of discipline he's facing for that unfortunate incident with the fan at Reser?  I wonder if this might not have had some affect on his wanting to sit out the Holiday bowl?

On 12/6/2022 at 9:55 AM, Mic said:

Speaking of D.J. did anything ever come out about what sort of discipline he's facing for that unfortunate incident with the fan at Reser?  I wonder if this might not have had some affect on his wanting to sit out the Holiday bowl?

I believe DJ was told he needed to declare for the draft or he would have to face punishment. It made his decision VERY easy.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There was some chatter on Twitter the other day about Jahlil Florence being unhappy.

See his response below...

• Whew! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2