FishDuck Article

Will the Transfer Portal Save Oregon Ducks Football?

And does it need saving?

FISHDUCK.COM

The transfer portal could entirely reshape the Oregon Ducks football program through 2023. The real question is: does it need saving? I posed this to Mr.

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

College football can be exhausting. Who's who, who's what, who's available, who's not? It's  a lot for a guy that works 13-15 hr days to keep up with.

Good thing I have OBDF and youtube. 

I like the portal but I would like to see some restrictive rules. So much money and effort is put into recruiting to just have a player chase the mighty dollar after a couple years. 

Maybe teams should be able to "franchise" a number of players. After all, it is big business now and everyone is getting a slice of pie. 

I think this will be a big year for the portal for the Ducks. Now that Lanning has had a full year to evaluate who he has, and he knows the type of player he wants, it is time to get his players.

We are seeing the extremely talented, but uncoachable leave. I look for more talented players like Gonzo to transfer. Players who want to win and be highlighted while being part of a team.

I was impressed by what Lanning was able to do with somebody else's players. I look to be even more impressed with the players he wants along with the culture he is building.

I also look for some lower rated kids who have the heart and drive a program needs. I hope the fanbase doesn't balk at Lanning signing some kids who didn't have the 5* next to their name, just a chip on their shoulder like the good old days. More Bucky's fewer let downs.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Ducks have not lost any huge contributors this year.  Flowe, I think, is the biggest contributor to leave this season.  He had a total of 5 tackles in all of November.  There are some big contributors that leave in the portal, but I'd say for the most part 80-90%% of the players in the portal were fringe players.  Let the fringe players find a better place for themselves.  I'm not going to worry over those players moving around the portal.

Utilizing the potential of the portal appears to be the key. Bringing in talented players who will make an impact. Turn a weakness into a strength. How many of those players enter the portal and how many will choose Oregon, is anybodies guess.

udub and uscuck brought in the right players who made them suprisingly better. From losing records to 11-2 and 10-2. That may be a season by season success but its shaping into the face of big time college football.

I dont know if the portal is needed to save Oregon football? Oregon fooyball, IMHO, is positioned nicely for the future in the PAC.....

But if they want an invite, annually to the CFP invitational then they best nail it every year in the portal. There were many, many on this Forum who didnt feel usuck or udub could turn it around in one season. Including me.

Any doubters now?

Go DL and staff. Get those key components on campus.

• Thumbs Up 1

The transfer portal is part of college football and the coaches who use it effectively will win more games than those who don’t. IMHO.

I trust DL & Company to use it effectively.  They did last season, I see no reason to assume they would do differently this season.  Go Ducks.

The silver lining of DL using primarily the same guys as last season is that he's now able to see where the deficiencies are, particularly on defense.  Then he can address them for the most part through the portal.