1Funduck

Can a School Do Better Building a Roster Through the Portal?

An article came out recently about Dante Moore, Ohio State, and $750,000.00.

That got me to thinking about the Transfer Portal.

Hundreds and hundreds of kids enter but only a few better themselves. Sure, playing time is obvious a dominant reason, but getting paid has to be right up there, right? Which gets me to thinking: What does it cost to get a D-lineman transfer? Why am I thinking this way? Well, I started realizing that High School recruits are an unknown and want the world. They are getting a ridiculous amount of cash for an unproven at the next level. Yes, I believe they will do well, but the fact remains, they haven't been 'proven'.   ....And the cash...gets dispensed.

Now comes along a 3rd string D-lineman from a top 5, power 5, school. He is a high 4* maybe even 5* recruit Nose tackle. He's following 2 other 5* D-lineman in the pecking order. Realistically he will get one fantastic year as a starter, with a few games early in his career as a substitute before the NFL comes calling. 

Instead, he opts to transfer for his sophomore year with the opportunity to start immediately for a very good team missing only a few pieces, and get NIL cash as well. 

So, my question is this, does it make sense to recruit 4 and 5* high caliber D-linemen, build that relationship, and then go after them hard when they hit the Portal a year later? I'm not saying don't recruit, but maybe one doesn't have to pay for an elite position player as one might think. A mildly disgruntled player who might have demanded $3-$500,000, with no playing time experience from HS, might be willing to take a 'perceived' haircut for the 'SpotLight'.

Of course, Lanning will still shoot for the moon. I'm just wondering can a School consistently get a better bang for their buck through the Portal?

Thoughts?

In terms of recruiting strategy, what positions are most available in the transfer portal with high end talent and how hard is it to predict how talent will translate at the next level?

It seems like offensive lineman are the most loyal and likely to stay at a school for 4-5 years, so it makes sense to recruit OL at the high school level and develop them. You can add transfer players to plug holes.  

On the other end of the spectrum, it seems like offensive skill positions and top CBs are plentiful in the transfer portal so perhaps you recruit 4-5 stars out of high school and try to add a few proven top level transfers every year, if needed. 

QB seems to be the hardest position to predict at the next level. How many 5-stars did not pan out in college? How many top NFL picks never worked out? Oregon’s best QBs over the past 20 years have been 3-4 star recruits. Does it make more sense for Oregon to recruit two 3-4 star high school QBs per year and look for transfers, if those QBs don’t develop? Seems like this would be the smarter play. 

1Funduck...I changed your thread title from wondering about NIL amounts to your actual question at the end of your post--as to whether a school should primarily go the portal route in building a roster?

IMHO...Portal scholarships are incredibly risky, because if the player does not work out--you still have your roster problem, and you have burned a scholarship for a long time.  Please see the discussion in this thread, referring to the article below I wrote recently with my opinions on that strategy.

FISHDUCK.COM

As I start to dig into some of the fine-points of the transfer portal–I realize I've been looking at it primarily from the angle of the player...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

And the risk to the player is extreme as well.  The latest stats I saw indicated that 48% of players who enter the portal do not get a new scholarship with a new team.  So he should not have left!

The incredible risk to both the player and the school is not something I realized until recently.

Mr. FishDuck

The NCAA has been neutered in recent years, but it is currently a violation for a school representative or member of the coaching staff to contact a player on another team if that player is not already in the transfer portal. I'm not sure what the punishment would be, but I imagine it could be a loss of a bowl game. That said, if you can only engage with players in the portal at the end of the season in a very short window, that would make it pretty tough to be Plan A or even Plan B. Plan A is high school 5 and 4 star players. The portal is for insurance, and to shore things up when something went wrong.

Edited by 2002duck

Or you can emulate U$C and have your players make the 'pre-portal' contact.  Just friends reaching out to inform a player of a great opportunity, wink wink.  Impossible to regulate.

Pandora's box anyone?

Teams are going to get caught playing with fire. Boosters and third parties can result in bowl bans or multiple scholarships being removed. If a player is on the fence, they might just hit the portal to see what they get offered, and go back to their school if they don't get a good deal or "promised" playing time. They'll have to decide quickly, though. If you're in the portal when the next school term begins, you're likely out of luck as the school can drop you.

I am shocked anyone could even suggest tampering may be occurring. 😀